iphone 5 - Expectations?

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I want a 4" screen, 8MP camera, dual core CPU, and 32/64 storage. I don't expect a 4" screen(either the same or 3.7 max), or the upgraded storage though.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I want lte is the main thing. Then larger screen(preferrably 4inch but anything over 3.5 would be nice even 3.5 if it has lte) Anything else is extra but if it does not have lte I will not buy.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I want lte is the main thing. Then larger screen(preferrably 4inch but anything over 3.5 would be nice even 3.5 if it has lte) Anything else is extra but if it does not have lte I will not buy.

100% agree on LTE. That's the only way I'm buying the new one. No LTE I'm not buyin.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Lte would be nice but don't think it's gonna happen since Verizon has already said it will be CDMA/GSM compatible and I don't think it could be CDMA/GSM/LTE compatible. The screen needs to be 4" minimum or I'm going back to android- I want a bigger screen!

---
I am here: Google Maps
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it could be, but I guess we will see. Some of the mods on here have been led to believe it will be lte but only when Steve Jobs announces it will we know for sure.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Having had the BB & Droid X experience and now appreciating the finesse of the iPhone4, IMO Apple better up the ante and come out with a new iPhone that is AHEAD of the Android pack. Everything I'm reading indicates the next iPhone will be a "catch up" scenario to the best Android phones now on the market. It's hard to believe the company that created the smartphone Wow factor is actually behind the curve at this point. Androids may lack the sophistication of the iPhone, but they are more flexible, customizable and capable in today's market.

I'm hoping the next generation iPhone will have the larger screen (4++ inches), the notification light, a customizable home screen (as in jailbreak), at least an 8 mp camera and 3 mp front-facing camera, the ability to use flash web pages, customizable ringtones & notifications, USB mass storage access to the iPhone SD card and internal memory where material can be dragged and dropped into iPhone folders from
a computer, the absence of ever-crashing iTunes control, a dual processor, maybe LTE capabilities (at
least as an option), and MORE. The MORE is where Apple will move in front of the Android pack.

Apple's main strength at this moment, again IMO, is that they are established for quality, actively attempt to somewhat protect their customers' security, and offer a simplified product selection. The Android world has become a quagmire of alternatives - what now? 200+ devices, many running older operating systems. The consumer has to pay major bucks for Android and iPhone devices. Nowadays, in the Android world, making choices has become way too complex.

So, my experiences with the quality of the iPhone and iPad make me hope that the next generation of both will leave the Androids in the dust.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Having had the BB & Droid X experience and now appreciating the finesse of the iPhone4, IMO Apple better up the ante and come out with a new iPhone that is AHEAD of the Android pack. Everything I'm reading indicates the next iPhone will be a "catch up" scenario to the best Android phones now on the market. It's hard to believe the company that created the smartphone Wow factor is actually behind the curve at this point. Androids may lack the sophistication of the iPhone, but they are more flexible, customizable and capable in today's market.

I'm hoping the next generation iPhone will have the larger screen (4++ inches), the notification light, a customizable home screen (as in jailbreak), at least an 8 mp camera and 3 mp front-facing camera, the ability to use flash web pages, customizable ringtones & notifications, USB mass storage access to the iPhone SD card and internal memory where material can be dragged and dropped into iPhone folders from
a computer, the absence of ever-crashing iTunes control, a dual processor, maybe LTE capabilities (at
least as an option), and MORE. The MORE is where Apple will move in front of the Android pack.

Apple's main strength at this moment, again IMO, is that they are established for quality, actively attempt to somewhat protect their customers' security, and offer a simplified product selection. The Android world has become a quagmire of alternatives - what now? 200+ devices, many running older operating systems. The consumer has to pay major bucks for Android and iPhone devices. Nowadays, in the Android world, making choices has become way too complex.

So, my experiences with the quality of the iPhone and iPad make me hope that the next generation of both will leave the Androids in the dust.

Personally, i don't think iPhone was ever behind the Android based handsets, and certainly not behind the curve, but thats an opinion, not a fact (just as the stance on the android phones in your comments)...so i won't get into that.

You said the MORE they add to it, the further Apple will move into the "lead". The problem a lot of Android based phones have is they are so chalk full of gimmicks and gigantic screens that you sacrifice other things...screen quality, battery life, clunky performance, etc. If that is what comes with MORE...keep it.

As far as some of the other points you made...i'll touch on a few...

- The camera on the iPhone 4 is by far better than any of the 8mp cameras on the droids...period. The HDR feature on iP4 makes pictures that looks as good (and most times better) than the cameras on the higher end droids...there are comparisons upon comparisons online that you can see comparison shots. The front camera is certainly in need of improvement, but the rear camera is fine (though i would not complain about an improved camera, it deff doesn't NEED it).

And what is the deal with this iTunes stuff? Maybe its a Windows based PC issue...but i haven't had a crash with iTunes in years and years...actually, since the first iPhone came out, its progressively gone from really good to damn near perfect as far as software goes. Do you really experience constant crashing? or is it more of that negative hype that surrounds iTunes on the other side of the fence because its an Apple product? Honestly, i can't see how a Windows user would ever find an Apple product to be more "crash prone" than their own OS anyways...

gmj73

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 will freshen things up but from a hardware point of view I would hope for a significantly better battery life than my current 3GS which is due for upgrade early September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

A lot of the things you're asking for Apple will never (and I mean it when I say never) do. I think you should go with android... To me, the choice between ios and android isn't a compromise it's just more of a preference. And it sounds like you would prefer android.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Four things I would really like to see in Iphone 5:

1) Giving the browser the ability to reflow text. It is a major issue for me that the Iphone browser does not zoom the text in large enough to read. Too many times I have to switch the phone to landscape to read the text and sometimes that doesnt even work in making the text is large enough for me to read without squinting.
2) More speed. I used my Iphone 4 since release but recently switched to a GS2. The speed of these two phones are not comparable. Apps take too long to load and when they do, and they have to update, it is several seconds before they are ready to roll. On the GS2 everything in instant. I sold my GS2 to come back to the Iphone and I am now waiting for the Iphone 5. The difference is huge in speed.
3) Background updating of apps. I jailbreak for one reason. So that, with weather icon, I have a live weather icon on my home screen. This need not be limmited to a weather app. Facebook and Twitter should also update on a user specified schedule. I understand this will hurt battery life, but the user should have the option.
4) A larger screen.

Thats about it. Everything else I wanted was included in IOS5.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

1) Giving the browser the ability to reflow text. It is a major issue for me that the Iphone browser does not zoom the text in large enough to read. Too many times I have to switch the phone to landscape to read the text and sometimes that doesnt even work in making the text is large enough for me to read without squinting.
2) More speed. I used my Iphone 4 since release but recently switched to a GS2. The speed of these two phones are not comparable. Apps take too long to load and when they do, and they have to update, it is several seconds before they are ready to roll. On the GS2 everything in instant. I sold my GS2 to come back to the Iphone and I am now waiting for the Iphone 5. The difference is huge in speed.
3) Background updating of apps. I jailbreak for one reason. So that, with weather icon, I have a live weather icon on my home screen. This need not be limmited to a weather app. Facebook and Twitter should also update on a user specified schedule. I understand this will hurt battery life, but the user should have the option.
4) A larger screen.

With that laundry list of wishes, you had better update it to include a huge battery... I'm all for change and innovation, but never at the expense of battery life...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
With that laundry list of wishes, you had better update it to include a huge battery... I'm all for change and innovation, but never at the expense of battery life...

Not really. The only thing that would drain battery would be the updating widgets which they added in ios5 anyway.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

4) A larger screen.

I don't mean to be presumptuous but I think you should stick to Android. I personally hate text re-flowing, and obviously that's how Apple feels about it as well. They want you to see the page as intended, not jumbled up for your mobile device.

I'm totally with you on the weather icon, liveclock etc. though... That's also the only reason I jailbreak nowadays. That's something Apple has severely overlooked but I doubt it will be fixed on the iPhone 5, unless live icons are a new feature only for the new phone, which would be stupid.

In regards to a larger screen, that may finally happen this year, but Apple's sales show that general consumers really don't care about that. They are buying iPhones more and more every year, and the 3.5" screen is very comfortable. When they updated to retina display, it made the screen feel huge to me, because it shows so much more detail than anything else. 800x480 on a 4.3" screen like Android phones is just a waste of space to me.

Speed will definitely come... You're forgetting the S2 is not even out yet in America and iPhone 4 came out over a year ago.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You're forgetting the S2 is not even out yet in America and iPhone 4 came out over a year ago.

I agree. Comparing the iPhone 4 with the S2 is not a fair comparison. The iPhone 4 is last years technology and a lot has changed since it came out. IMHO, the true comparison will be between the new iPhone and the S2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2