iPhone 5 - 4G or Dual Core?

iPhone 5 - 4G or Dual Core? - What's more important?

• 4G

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Dual Core processor

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters

firedog25

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine Apple is waiting for a clear winner in the 4G arena before committing to any set technology. With Verizon/LTE, Sprint/Wimax, and AT&T HSPA+ there's a bit to consider.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Hell I'm still waiting for AT&T to get 3G around here, can't even get Edge in lots of places, and all AT&T's "4G" network is is their 3G network re-named.

I'm going Verizon asap.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This is a bit weird of a poll. A dual core processor, or 4G.

Where is my option for Dual Network support? I would like the iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4G as I believe it will be called) to be a Verizon/AT&T dual device.

elavum

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is a bit weird of a poll. A dual core processor, or 4G.

Where is my option for Dual Network support? I would like the iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4G as I believe it will be called) to be a Verizon/AT&T dual device.

+1
I agree I would love to see iphone5 with GSM/ CDMA support with tmobile 3G bands supported. Dual core will be a plus and 4" display will be like dream. 4G in not in my dream itself ( we dont have 4G in our area yet;))

GPD1739A

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
4G, hands down

I'm 999% all the way for 4G. 3G to 4G will provide a bigger performance boost than single core to dual core for what I do on my iPhone.

Keep in mind, of course, that this is based on AT&T providing true 4G (not the "fake" 4G they're advertising now) in my area.

But since I'm not one of those that upgrades their iPhone every time a new one comes out (I only do upgrades on contract renewals), I'm okay with getting a 4G if AT&T will have it out soon after my purchase.
I'd rather wait 6-12 months for 4G than have to wait up to two years to get 4G right after buying a non-4G upgrade.

Last edited:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
+1
I agree I would love to see iphone5 with GSM/ CDMA support with tmobile 3G bands supported. Dual core will be a plus and 4" display will be like dream. 4G in not in my dream itself ( we dont have 4G in our area yet;))

I live in Northern Michigan (the north most part of the southern mass, known around here as the "tip of the mitt"). About a year ago the closest 3G was 2.5 hours away. 6 months ago, 3G moved closer, about 45 minutes away. Now, 3G is in Mackinaw City, about 15 minutes from where I live. I can walk outside, turn on 3G on my iPhone 4, get maybe 5 seconds of the 3G logo, and then all network services crap out and I have to turn 3G off, go into Airplane mode and back to even reconnect to the cell network.

AT&T is taunting me, BUT I have a feeling that within the next year (the remainder of my AT&T contract) that my town will have 3G. I drove to Mackinaw City and did a speed test of both the AT&T 3G, and the speed via my Verizon MiFi. The 3G speeds averaged around 7Mbps, Verizon averaged around 2Mbps.

As soon as we have 3G here, I am dumping the Mifi and signing up for the tethered plan. I am usually around Wifi, however, when I go shopping I like having Pandora or TuneIn Radio to listen to, and I rarely hit even 500Megs of usage. Only time I hit 1Gig was when my girlfriend and I went to the Detroit Zoo, and that was mostly listening to BassDrive, No Agenda Stream or TWiT Live on the drive down and back.

FAU4U

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Voting for dual-core or 4g, here are some alternate choices....

This choice is not a realistic selection... APPLE will certainly use dual-core in future iPhones so that the App developers will have a uniform processing architecture... 4G is a separate topic entirely, as including this feature is dependent on the Network Provider's ability to handle the bandwith... So what are the most popular wish-list items out there to improve on an already amazing device...

More Battery life, so that it operates for 10 hours, using the iPad parameters..
More RAM to facilitate more complex Applications, like to 512MB..
More Solid State Storage, say to 64GB, or 128GB..
More Touch Screen Size, say to 4.25" diagonal, and shrink the Home Button..
More Screen Pixel Resolution, like to 1280x850 retaining 300dpi density..
More Band-width, dual operability for 4G/3G connectivity..

NOW from these choices... Which ones are of the highest priority for YOU.
For ME, I want all of the above... And charge me a premium of $150 

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
More Battery life, so that it operates for 10 hours, using the iPad parameters..

You do realize that the iPad is larger and can fit a larger battery in it which is why it gets this great battery life, This would never fit into the iPhone.

More Solid State Storage, say to 64GB, or 128GB..

Agreed with both.

More Touch Screen Size, say to 4.25" diagonal,

A 4.25" would likely increase the size of the phone which a lot of people do not want. A 4" would be fine if they managed to fit it inside the same form factor.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't iPhone 4 already have 512MB of RAM?

More Touch Screen Size, say to 4.25" diagonal, and shrink the Home Button..
More Screen Pixel Resolution, like to 1280x850 retaining 300dpi density.

Any screen larger than 4" feels too big to me. And changing the screen resolution would mean all apps would need new graphics.

firedog25

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hell I'm still waiting for AT&T to get 3G around here, can't even get Edge in lots of places, and all AT&T's "4G" network is is their 3G network re-named.

I'm going Verizon asap.

At least it shows when you can't have it. When I had Sprint I would be in a full five bar area with 3G and calls would be like someone is wrinkling cellophane into the phone or just outright drop. If Sprint suddenly became the only mobile phone system in the world I'd just go with two cans and a string.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd definitely take 4G, if it is LTE 4G. Dual Core seems more important for Android devices, as the Iphone's OS is already smooth as butter, and fast. I'd prefer LTE, because it is insanely fast. I already have the HTC Thunderbolt for Verizon Wireless on another line, and I average between 12-22mbps on the downlink and 5-10mbps on the uplink. That is ridiculous, and I'd love that on my Iphone.

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow. My little poll/thread made it to the homepage. Do I get a TiPb t-shirt or something. :D

Glad to see more people favor 4G recently. If they put in a 3G/4G radio, this coverage issue could go away, particularly if you can turn off the 4G radio through software.

I question the value of dual core on a phone at this point. Sure, there are some gamers who need a separate GPU, but for most of us, it's just not that serious. However, most of us have laptops, iPads or other wifi enabled devices. Having a 4G mobile hotspot with us at all times, seems like a huge win.

I have my trusty Palm Pre and am getting "Free" tethering through a trusty app called MyTether. It's 3G and more adequate than I thought. Having 4G would make the laptop sing and do wonders for content consumption on an iPad. Jobs called this an internet phone. Why wouldn't we optimize that first.

Alas, I think Apple will do what it does and have upgraders stuck with a 3G phone until their contracts expire in 2013. I just can't see myself talking about Apple's "experience fight" with my 3G iphone facing off against a 4G Android Armada by the middle of 2012, not to mention 2013. For most American cities, 3G will be so 2009 by 2012.

I'll say this, if you buy a 3G iPhone on a 2year in 2011, you will be DYING to get your upgrade by 2013. Maybe that's what Apple really wants.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
How about a 3rd option for this poll?

- Dual core WITH 21mbs HSPA

That has probably been posted already, but I don't feel like reading the whole thread.
:D SUE ME!! :D