On TUAW , they have a article speaking about the one year anniversary of the iPad announcement. Someone in the comments brought to everyone's attention that the iPhone 4 was laying right on too of the original iPad.

Since the 4 was already put together , presumably a test unit, by this day one year ago does this mean the 5 is already in the wild ?

Can we begin to expect to see the 5 sooner than later ?
    01-28-2011 03:59 AM
    Of course we can. But we can't wait :-)
    01-28-2011 04:18 AM
    On TUAW , they have a article speaking about the one year anniversary of the iPad announcement. Someone in the comments brought to everyone's attention that the iPhone 4 was laying right on too of the original iPad.

Since the 4 was already put together , presumably a test unit, by this day one year ago does this mean the 5 is already in the wild ?

Can we begin to expect to see the 5 sooner than later ?
    Im sure, if the "iphone 5" is an actual handset, that there are test units or prototypes already out there somewhere...that's the thing about presuming, it's simply speculation, so speculate away! lol...

I see no reason why this would mean the new iPhone model would hit the public sooner in any facet, MacWorld is pretty much a bust now that Apple pulled out of that, and WWDC is in the summer so i doubt either of those will yield us the "first" news of the new iPhone...but there are alot of rumors around the release of the iPad 2 and news about that, expected around the time of the Verizon iphone on Feb 10th...again, speculation, but that's the most legit rumor at this time.
    01-28-2011 06:48 AM
    Apple is likely a full product cycle ahead in testing (just a guess from me.) ... So I would say that it is reasonable to think that they have a functioning test version of iPhone 5 in the wild. I am confident that we will see iPhone 5 (or whatever they decide to call it.) released this summer, the bigger question will be for those Verizon folks, would it be worth waiting for the new handset? ... I can't see Verizon allowing early upgrades for 4 month old iPhone accounts. Really interested though in iPhone 5, I wonder what apple has up it's sleeve.
    01-28-2011 10:50 AM
    I have to agree with the earlier post. I believe that Apple has already begun testing the next device already as we will probably see it this Summer or early fall.
    01-28-2011 01:31 PM
    I heard they were already testing Iphone 5 on the Apple campus. Can't remember where I read it but it is a highly guarded secret because of the issue they had with the Iphone 4 prototype being left in a bar restroom.
    01-28-2011 02:00 PM
    ^^^ Not too highly guarded if you hear about it, huh?
    01-28-2011 02:25 PM
    iPhones are designed 12-18 months before release. The iPhone 4 was designed 18 months before. Last we heard, the next gen was in testing on campus with the upper execs or something like that of Apple
    01-28-2011 03:20 PM
    ^^^ Not too highly guarded if you hear about it, huh?
    More highly guarded since not many are testing the device just yet
    01-28-2011 03:22 PM
    Apple almost certainly has been testing iPhone 5 protypes for months at their campus if not even before the iPhone 4 was released. How early was it that Gizmodo got their hands on that iPhone 4?
    01-28-2011 03:53 PM
    Didn't they start to develop the first iPhone back in 2005? I remember reading an article thaty they had talks with Verizon way back in 2005 before it was decided to have it on Cingular (witch became AT&T in 2007)
    01-28-2011 03:59 PM
    Didn't they start to develop the first iPhone back in 2005? I remember reading an article thaty they had talks with Verizon way back in 2005 before it was decided to have it on Cingular (witch became AT&T in 2007)
    probably since these are usually designed 18 months in advance. Especially I image the first gen needed longer than usual testing
    01-28-2011 04:04 PM
    Of course it's already out there. It's going to be released in a few months. I imagine they are being kept on campus except for some very select few doing real world tests.
    01-28-2011 09:16 PM
    Didn't Verizon come forward and say that they never had talks with Apple Prior to the iPhone launch ... "Apple all along wanted the phone to be GSM"
    01-29-2011 12:45 PM
    ^^^ This...the only talk, it seems, that verizon had with Apple was one where Apple told them "Sorry, we're going GSM".

Verizon was "never in the running" for original iPhone
    01-29-2011 12:49 PM
    Absolutely it's already in people's hands and in testing.
    01-29-2011 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD