iPhone 5 Theory

BhamBB

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I figure since VZW announced the iPhone 4, sometime in June or July Apple will be announcing the iPhone 5 (assuming they call it that) which will be 4G and running iOS 4.4 (or just a newer iOS). That device will be on ATT first ,which should be available in the August/September timeframe. VZW & others will have theirs in the begining of 2012. . Thoughts? And remember i'm just shooting from the hip with no inside information. :D

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I figure since VZW announced the iPhone 4, sometime in June or July Apple will be announcing the iPhone 5 (assuming they call it that) which will be 4G and running iOS 4.4 (or just a newer iOS). That device will be on ATT first ,which should be available in the August/September timeframe. VZW & others will have theirs in the begining of 2012. . Thoughts? And remember i'm just shooting from the hip with no inside information. :D

Apple will be announcing the iPhone 5 in June, you can almost bet on that based on the history. That said I would say that there is almost no chance that the iPhone 5 will be a 4G phone. The first iPhone was 2G at a time when 3G was standard for ATT. Apple almost never is an early adopter of new tech, Blue Ray is an example of this as well as many others.

RECKLESS#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah apple didnt jump on 3G right away they waited for it to steady out and made the original iphone 2G and people loved it. Apple has also said that to make a 4G phone they would have to redesign the phone to fit the chimp and that wasnt comprimise they were willing to make at the moment so i dont think 4 months from now they're going to redesign the phone and have millions at the ready. I have money on that you wont see an iphone 5 till 2012 but this year it'll be like what they did with the iphone 3G they made a 3GS. If a new iphone is unveiled at WWDC it will be something along the lines of a 4S might want to exclude the G.

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If the new iphone 5 doesn't have 4g, what can they do to make it better? And make people rush out to buy it. #4 was a great difference from 3gs. Maybe call it 4s?(slight changes)
I would like to see dual core, faster processing and 4g/hspa+ maybe bigger screen.
I have the 3gs and I am due a new phone this summer, would like to get the iphone 5.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
God it's freaking hilarious how many times I have to remind you people that Steve Jobs was sick when the 3GS was being developed. NOTHING changed design-wise that year except the iPod shuffle, which was clearly just a test to see how well the others could handle it because the next year Steve changed it back. Remember that? Now can everyone please stop suggesting "4S" or "4GS"?

It's not going to happen.

And yeah I just read that Engadget article and they seem to have some good sources for what they are saying, so I trust them in this case.

EDIT:
Oh, and, the iPhone 5 will come out on VZW and AT&T at the same time. In 2009, Rogers lost exclusivity in winter to Bell and Telus, but in June Bell and Telus still got the iPhone 4 at the same time as Rogers. They also allowed their 3GS customers to upgrade to it at the new contract price. No telling if VZW will do that as well, but it seems like the only right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: redbeard

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I firmly believe the iphone 5 will come to verizon as soon as the other carriers. I don't think Apple is in the business of providing uneven support or that Verizon would desire getting the new goodies months after AT&T.

The Engadget article is only more evidence of it. The chips will support both.

That the Verizon iphone 4 will release in Feb only means that its as soon as Apple could do it and still have a reasonable window of time for sales. Given that its the initial iphone offered on Verizon with lots of demand, they'd be foolish to miss this window.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I firmly believe the iphone 5 will come to verizon as soon as the other carriers. I don't think Apple is in the business of providing uneven support or that Verizon would desire getting the new goodies months after AT&T.

The Engadget article is only more evidence of it. The chips will support both.

That the Verizon iphone 4 will release in Feb only means that its as soon as Apple could do it and still have a reasonable window of time for sales. Given that its the initial iphone offered on Verizon with lots of demand, they'd be foolish to miss this window.

Yep... And Apple has handled it the same way in other countries, as I stated i my Canada example above your post.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The article made sense, I was thinking no way Apple would put an SD card in but it makes sense. It wont be for extra storage I'm pretty sure of that. Now that the iPad 2.0 has cameras it will be used to transfer pictures. Just like now there is a transfer kit that has a connection for USB and one for SD cards. So now instead of having the kit the SD slot will be in the device.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
God it's freaking hilarious how many times I have to remind you people that Steve Jobs was sick when the 3GS was being developed. NOTHING changed design-wise that year except the iPod shuffle, which was clearly just a test to see how well the others could handle it because the next year Steve changed it back. Remember that? Now can everyone please stop suggesting "4S" or "4GS"?

It's not going to happen.

What a difference a day makes. We'll have to wait and see what impact today's leave of absence announcement means for iPhone 5 and beyond.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'd say there is a very slim chance the next iPhone will have LTE, probably zero chance really. I wouldn't be surprised if it had the new dual GSM/CDMA chip. But it will top out with 3G radios, probably sport HSDPA+ now that AT&T has it mostly deployed.

I will throw out that there is a better chance that the next iPhone will be available on AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, and Sprint this summer than it having LTE.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I do not think this medical situation is going to have the same impact on Apple as it has in years past...this is a new era in the company, and i think Steve Jobs may be in his last few in the position we are so used to him being in...i can deff see an adjustment in leadership in the next 5 years.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
it would have usb 3

Apple is so slow when it comes to adopt new technology that they wait till the next generation comes out and then steal the show saying "they" invented it.

Granted USB 3 is still very new and I think Appke will just start with wireless sync. Plus very few computers have USB 3 and none of the macs have them yet.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Apple is so slow when it comes to adopt new technology that they wait till the next generation comes out and then steal the show saying "they" invented it.

Granted USB 3 is still very new and I think Appke will just start with wireless sync. Plus very few computers have USB 3 and none of the macs have them yet.

The reason Apple hasn't yet adopted USB 3 is because they are working on their own competing high speed data transfer protocol with Intel called LightPeak. It's supposedly going to be faster than USB 3. LightPeak connectors will also be able to connect to USB 3.0 ports. Apple waits for the best, they don't just jump on the newest thing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2