• iPad 2

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Again, people. a "retina display" is just Apple using fancy words for what the indrestery calls "High resolution display" There is no such thing as a "retina display"

The qualification for a retina display is that it is past the threshold of the human eye to distinguish pixels within a 12" distance. It must have a ppi of over 300. On a 10" display, that would be 2400x1800. Jobs made the reason why it's called a retina display pretty damn clear.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Again, people. a "retina display" is just Apple using fancy words for what the indrestery calls "High resolution display" There is no such thing as a "retina display"

And yet, my iphone 4 has a "retina display" :p

Whether its a marketing term or not, apple created and sort of defined it. Basically, it's when you have such a high resolution that you can't see the pixels. 330ppi for a 3.5" screen held a foot away qualifies according to Apple.

It's not simply "high resolution" as your "indrestery" calls it. No other phone meets this mark.

Any bump in resolution for the ipad would likely have to be 2048x1536. There's a reason why Apple went with 960x640 for iphone 4. The ppi for the ipad then would be 263. Still not quite "retina" as apple defined it but i'm sure they could squeeze the definition (after all, its Apple's creation) a bit and say you don't hold the ipad as close to face.

According to Block, http://gdgt.com/discuss/if-ipad-2nd-gen-gets-retina-display-bcj/, to be true retina (as defined by apple for iphone), it'd have to be "2560 x 1920 pixels, or the same 330 PPI as in the iPhone 4." I'd have to agree with him that we're nowhere close to seeing that yet.

Last edited:

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The qualification for a retina display is that it is past the threshold of the human eye to distinguish pixels within a 12" distance. It must have a ppi of over 300. On a 10" display, that would be 2400x1800. Jobs made the reason why it's called a retina display pretty damn clear.

I think it's even higher than that - about 2600 x 2000. Barring some new tech, this will not be part of iPad 2 due to cost. AFAIK, no Apple display achieves this level of rez.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think it's even higher than that - about 2600 x 2000. Barring some new tech, this will not be part of iPad 2 due to cost. AFAIK, no Apple display achieves this level of rez.

I calculated it months ago, at a 4:3 aspect ratio 2400x1800 gives 303ppi at 9.7". And given apple's liking for even numbers I think they'd pick that number if they could. iMac 27" is 2560x1440 just FYI, and it's only shorter because it's 16:9.

"True retina" is a silly idea. The point of retina display was simply to go above 300, not to hit 330. iPhone 4 is 326.

Last edited:

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK, then misunderstanding. My thought was what was the res needed to equal the iPhone 4 in the iPad 2's display which would be a bit higher. It makes little difference. If the iPad 2 were to have 300+ ppi, I'd upgrade for sure unless there was some drawback. I really enjoy reading on my iPhone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
OK, then misunderstanding. My thought was what was the res needed to equal the iPhone 4 in the iPad 2's display which would be a bit higher. It makes little difference. If the iPad 2 were to have 300+ ppi, I'd upgrade for sure unless there was some drawback. I really enjoy reading on my iPhone.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I know I dont want to buy an iPad unless the resolution gets upgraded. I don't like using iPads because the resolution is so crappy compared to my iPhone.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Given that both devices will most likely be released next year, which device are you more likely to buy?

(If you could only chose one of the two.)

I'm quite happy with my iPad, I feel like it's more of a laptop and thus it doesn't need to go through that manic evolution cycle where your brand new gadget can feel like an altair in 13 months.

I'm looking to replace my droid and the Verizon iPhone is at the top of the list, right now there really isn't anything new on the Verizon Android side- and android evolves even faster; less than a year in and the droid felt old.

Now if Apple and Verizon fubar it yet again, then I'll tough it out with the droid another year so I can qualify for the 2 yr dealio. And if the iPhone still isn't on Verizon, well then I'm staying with Android. I have my iPad and macbook to keep me happy with Apple products.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And yet, my iphone 4 has a "retina display" :p

Whether its a marketing term or not, apple created and sort of defined it. Basically, it's when you have such a high resolution that you can't see the pixels. 330ppi for a 3.5" screen held a foot away qualifies according to Apple.

It's not simply "high resolution" as your "indrestery" calls it. No other phone meets this mark.

Still, my point stands. There is no such thing. Its just fancy words. PERIOD. I agree it is a nice display. Best in the industry but there is no such thing as a Retina display outside of Apple.

I'm quite happy with my iPad, I feel like it's more of a laptop and thus it doesn't need to go through that manic evolution cycle where your brand new gadget can feel like an altair in 13 months.

I'm looking to replace my droid and the Verizon iPhone is at the top of the list, right now there really isn't anything new on the Verizon Android side- and android evolves even faster; less than a year in and the droid felt old.

Now if Apple and Verizon fubar it yet again, then I'll tough it out with the droid another year so I can qualify for the 2 yr dealio. And if the iPhone still isn't on Verizon, well then I'm staying with Android. I have my iPad and macbook to keep me happy with Apple products.

The incredible HD will be coming to Verizon soon. Think of it as the EVO on Verizon. Great if you like the large screen. Hopefully battery life will be better then the EVO.

Granted I think we will see a iPhone on Verizon in 2011, but for me at least, it will have to have some pretty killer features for me to cancel my two year and switch. Plus my area does not have LTE yet, but we do have wimax. I don't see be switching if its just an iPhone 4 with a CDMA chip, and a speed bump, plus iOS 5 will need to have something worth switching.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Still, my point stands. There is no such thing. Its just fancy words. PERIOD. I agree it is a nice display. Best in the industry but there is no such thing as a Retina display outside of Apple.

There is no such thing as Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It's just fancy words.

This could be a new meme. lol

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the more I think about it the more I know I dont want to buy an iPad unless the resolution gets upgraded. I don't like using iPads because the resolution is so crappy compared to my iPhone.

Oh, I use both and enjoy the iPad because I use it at a further distance. I can see the rez isn't as good as the phone but it's good. The added real estate makes a huge difference but then again, they aren't really over lapping as far as applications. I use them differently. .

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The incredible HD will be coming to Verizon soon. Think of it as the EVO on Verizon. Great if you like the large screen. Hopefully battery life will be better then the EVO.
I've never been thrilled with HTC. They look nice, the skin looks the nicest out of the official skins, but my friend had one and it was wonky. The Incredible seemed to have some issues with battery life too.

Granted I think we will see a iPhone on Verizon in 2011, but for me at least, it will have to have some pretty killer features for me to cancel my two year and switch. Plus my area does not have LTE yet

I think the Verizon iPhone will be a slight rewarming of the current iPhone 4. They'll fix the antenna, give it a slight bump in speed, storage capacity. The big difference will be CDMA.

I don't care about LTE. It's in my city, but it will be awhile until it gets to full speed and the price will be more. Right now I pay $30 for unlimited, so paying $50 for 5GB on a network that is still being deployed is not worth it at this point.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't care about LTE. It's in my city, but it will be awhile until it gets to full speed and the price will be more. Right now I pay $30 for unlimited, so paying $50 for 5GB on a network that is still being deployed is not worth it at this point.

I dont care about LTE either. Honestly 3G performs great for me so I'd rather not be a test dummy for a buggy LTE service and pay more while doing it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods