iPhone 5 questions/speculations

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's ever to early for this type of thread, so here it goes. Does anyone think the iPhone 5 will have a nfc chip? I think the iPhone 5 will have the following..

Hardware:

*Plastic, maybe aluminum.
*Bigger Screen (hopefully)
*Faster Processor
*Retina Display
*NFC chip? Doubtful..

Software:

*Notifications...I hope to God for notifications.
*iTunes Steaming?
*Wireless Syncing?

What are your wants/desires/predictions for iPhone 5 and iOS 5?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's ever to early for this type of thread, so here it goes. Does anyone think the iPhone 5 will have a nfc chip? I think the iPhone 5 will have the following..

Hardware:

*Plastic, maybe aluminum.
*Bigger Screen (hopefully)
*Faster Processor
*Retina Display
*NFC chip? Doubtful..

Software:

*Notifications...I hope to God for notifications.
*iTunes Steaming?
*Wireless Syncing?

What are your wants/desires/predictions for iPhone 5 and iOS 5?

All sound pretty good. Not many like the larger screen but I do. 3.5" is just small. I don't think we will go back to a plastic design. Same design as we have now. (till iPhone 6)

Notifications in iOS 5 will need to be improved. One of the great things in andoid is you just swipe the status bar down and see everything you need rather little badges or purple pop ups (that can get annoying if your doing something). The badges are especially bad if you glance down and see "10" over a folder. Well what is it? 10 new mails? 8 new mails and 3 new voicemails?

as for streaming, that won't come till September with an iOs 5.1 update in fall 2011.

I do hope for some design change to iOS 5, but nothing over the top. Widgets are a big thing and if you add it to the iPad, your pretty much taking advantage of the screen.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm a total idiot but...nfc? Aside from football, not sure what that is.

Here's some speculation, though: Apple acquired that liquid metal company a while back. Would not doubt if that technology made it into the next iPhone.

I like the screen size that it is now (though I have a 3GS, not a 4). I don't want a screen that makes the phone too big to carry in a pocket or belt holster. Some of those Android phones make the old Moto brick phones seem ultra portable...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 5
Faster processor
More RAM
More storage space 64 or 128GB anyone??

I like the screen size now and with retina display it makes it so good looking. I don't think they will change the design or the materials for the next phone but wonder if they'll figure out how to make the white ones?

iOS 5
Better notification system
Custom SMS tones
more UI sounds, the same emails sent, text sent sounds get so boooring
Ability to forward messaging, notifications to the iPad
Remote between iPhone and iPad would be cool :D

I know most things Apple wont do because it's not their style and the like to keep the OS simple. I would just love it if I wouldn't have to stop doing something to show my fiance how to do something I just remote into her phone or iPad from my own and do it LOL

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the big new features might be induction charging and wireless syncing.

There will of course be the basic upgrades like processor, probably not ram because 512 is enough. 1GB of ram in a phone is just not required by anything right now. 64GB storage might finally happen as they will probably move the iPod touch to 128GB and kill the iPod classic next year.

I'm not sure apple will be using NFC chips in 2011, because most retail outlets in America do not and will not support it for a long time.

Apple will also wait a year until LTE matures for a 2012 release.

Body-wise, the design will change to escape the stigma of the current design. The only reason 3G>3GS saw no changes is because Jobs was sick and couldn't be as involved as he would like to be. I think the new iPhone will have less glass and a stainless steel back, maybe with the entire bottom of the band serving as the antenna instead of just that tiny spot.

Camera will stay the same apart from some minor background upgrades that will remove that ridiculous green spot from photos.

Screen size won't change, and if it does it won't be a change that makes the device any bigger. It will not change aspect ratios so the screen only has a tiny area to increase in size.

For anyone wondering, NFC is Near Field Communication which allows your phone to be used as a credit card or other cards.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the big new features might be induction charging and wireless syncing.

There will of course be the basic upgrades like processor, probably not ram because 512 is enough. 1GB of ram in a phone is just not required by anything right now. 64GB storage might finally happen as they will probably move the iPod touch to 128GB and kill the iPod classic next year.

Last I checked this was about the iPhone, not the iPad.

Classic won't go away as there is still a market that just wants a simple music player. No wifi, no apps. No touch screen. sure the nano could have done it, if Jobs didn't turn around and screw it up.

I'm not sure apple will be using NFC chips in 2011, because most retail outlets in America do not and will not support it for a long time.

Then again there are apps that allow you to scan the barcodes and do price comparison.

Apple will also wait a year until LTE matures for a 2012 release.

See if they do that, they will just be behind again. I could see an LTE ready phone, but full LTE support won't come till 2012.

Screen size won't change, and if it does it won't be a change that makes the device any bigger. It will not change aspect ratios so the screen only has a tiny area to increase in size.

such as 3.7?

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm going with the evolution, not revolution prediction

-same design- think 3G -> 3GS. It will still be the glass sandwich.

-slight bump in power, battery life, MPs on camera, storage... aka the usual.

-no change in screen size- Apple isn't going to get into a "my screen is bigger than yours" pissing match with Android.

-no nfc for now- the infrastructure needs to be in place, but if anybody can pull it off, it's Jobs. But not this time around.

-I'm thinking iOS is going to keep its notification system. That's next year. Again, just subtle changes. Nothing too big. I predict more of a polishing of iOS- faster, more efficient, smoother, more security for the business set.

-CDMA & 4G for Verizon- I don't believe the Verizion iPhone will be released early 2011. I think it's coming out in June, as part of the iPhone 5. Keep it all the same so there is no fragmentation. This will be... the one more thing moment. The simple announcement of the Verizon iPhone will overshadow any disappointment over the rewarmed iPhone 4 aka iPhone 5.

-And it's going to the rest of the carriers

-Each iPhone generation had one big thing that defined it.
iPhone- just being the iPhone
3G- obviously, the 3G
3GS- performance
4- hardware

iPhone 5 is not about the hardware or the software. It's all about the different carriers.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
LED indicator light!
New notifications
Tad larger screen
Better battery
Change the "multitasking" (it seems to drain the battery having to manually close EVERYTHING)

I hope its not thinner than the i4, I kind of miss the iPhone 3 back.

Last edited:

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm a total idiot but...nfc? Aside from football, not sure what that is.

Here's some speculation, though: Apple acquired that liquid metal company a while back. Would not doubt if that technology made it into the next iPhone.

I like the screen size that it is now (though I have a 3GS, not a 4). I don't want a screen that makes the phone too big to carry in a pocket or belt holster. Some of those Android phones make the old Moto brick phones seem ultra portable...

Near field communications like those credit cards you get near a detector and they debit your account w/o you even needing to swipe.

I agree. Apple needs to get this done soon unless something happens to discredit nfc on Android phones. Something like rumors that this causes radiation burns or people finding ID theft when they lose their android phones.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Near field communications like those credit cards you get near a detector and they debit your account w/o you even needing to swipe.

I agree. Apple needs to get this done soon unless something happens to discredit nfc on Android phones. Something like rumors that this causes radiation burns or people finding ID theft when they lose their android phones.

The problem is not the tech, but the business end, right? Or maybe I'm wrong? OK, so you slap in a nfc chip, then who gets the transaction? Visa, Mastercard, AMEX... Apple? Do you then buy a iPhone 5 16GB in your choice of Visa, Mastercard, or AMEX NFC? Or does Apple try to create a rival company that will compete with Visa?

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The problem is not the tech, but the business end, right? Or maybe I'm wrong? OK, so you slap in a nfc chip, then who gets the transaction? Visa, Mastercard, AMEX... Apple? Do you then buy a iPhone 5 16GB in your choice of Visa, Mastercard, or AMEX NFC? Or does Apple try to create a rival company that will compete with Visa?

Owell, that's not a problem but an opportunity. Just as Apple allied with ATT for the iPhone USA, it will either ally with someone or act as intermediary.

I would guess another alliance and you buy the iPhone 5 and then you can either ally with the designee or not use nfc.

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Ability to charge wirelessly (not on a docking station). Of course, the wireless charger base is an add on. I think I saw something like this for the Nokia phones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234