Apple iPhone 5 (5G): Concept Images and Specifications

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Jony Ive is in charge of design, but changes have to be approved by Steve Jobs. He is highly involved in the design of each device, and he was very, very sick, so I imagine he made a conscious decision ahead of time to keep the design for that year.

@MsEye

HTC actually copied a few things from iOS in their new Sense revision... And there really isn't much new in it to be honest. I'm not a hater btw, I absolutely love HTC. They were the first (after Apple) to really put out high quality, beautiful smartphones with good UI. However HTC devices are still not iPhones.. Anyone who owns an iPhone 4 and has used HTC's Sense UI will know what I mean. There are so many little UI cracks in Android and Sense UI that I just can't take it. I know it seems dramatic but really, Samsung's TouchWiz is much better-implemented (though less attractive on face level), but still not iOS...

Apple's UI is literally as close as any UI could be to being PERFECTED. Sense UI has some nice little widgets and such, but it's not close to iOS in terms of perfection...

As usual with iOS devices, they don't do everything that other things may do, but what they do *do*, they do better than anything else.

I think there are a few new things worth mentioning that HTC added that iOS currently doesn't offer.

To start, the ring profiles. Half the time my iPhone rings, I can't hear because I'm either on a bus, or in a crowded area. I love that Sense knows whether the phone is concealed or out in the open. I also like that if it's out and it's too loud, you can just flip it over to silence it. This would be great for when I'm in class and forget to silence my phone, or for ignoring unwanted calls.

Also, I like how they added social feeds to the caller ID. I think that's pretty slick.

Another great feature is how the maps are indexed on the device. I really thought that when Apple bought PlaceBase that we would have had this feature.

While they didn't add a slew of new features, they still added some pretty nice additions to their overlay that would be great to have on iOS. I really don't see what they "copied from Apple". I think they took some ideas, such as the compass orientation in the maps, but I think most of the ideas were pretty original. I hope Apple doesn't lose sight of the iPhone. While the iPhone 4 was pretty innovative, it doesn't seem like it brought the ground breaking experience that the original iPhone did. Although that same impact couldn't happen now due to common-ness of touch screen devices, I still think that they could think of little things to add to iOS like HTC.

Moving on to what I want from the next iOS:

New Notifications
Live Wallpaper
The ability to customize all system sounds.
A android-like CarHome app.
Indexed Maps for better navigation and use in low signal areas.
Cloud music/streaming service.

What I want from the next iPhone:

A 4" screen in addition to the current model.
Better front and rear cameras even though they are already good.
The A4 chip clocked at the same speed as the iPad's.
Different design.

Last edited:

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Different design.

i doubt apple will come out with a 2 tier iPhone other then in memory 4" screen fits in the same category as 7" iPad
all the apps would have to adjusted to the resolution in the way they had to adjust resolution for the iPad

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i doubt apple will come out with a 2 tier iPhone other then in memory 4" screen fits in the same category as 7" iPad
all the apps would have to adjusted to the resolution in the way they had to adjust resolution for the iPad

Sadly, I agree with you. Same thing goes with the iPad. I would love a 7" iPad, but it probably won't happen because Apple hates OS fragmentation. I'm sure Samsung, other tablet makers, and google itself will eventually run into this problem with app developers. I can't see the Galaxy Tab being successful considering that 1. Google said Froyo wasn't designed with tablets in mind 2. screen size and resolution 3. App developers wanting to develop specifically for the Galaxy Tab.

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The design has been slimed down further and made of thin LED TV, Now come the specs which includes 4G download speeds of up to 100Mbps, an enhanced Retina Display Screen with added Backlight feature, 10.2 megapixel camera and a new generation battery too.

So, the display will be LED, but also Retina with an "added backlight"??? WTF is this guy talking about???

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think there are a few new things worth mentioning that HTC added that iOS currently doesn't offer.

To start, the ring profiles. Half the time my iPhone rings, I can't hear because I'm either on a bus, or in a crowded area. I love that Sense knows whether the phone is concealed or out in the open. I also like that if it's out and it's too loud, you can just flip it over to silence it. This would be great for when I'm in class and forget to silence my phone, or for ignoring unwanted calls.

Also, I like how they added social feeds to the caller ID. I think that's pretty slick.

Another great feature is how the maps are indexed on the device. I really thought that when Apple bought PlaceBase that we would have had this feature.

While they didn't add a slew of new features, they still added some pretty nice additions to their overlay that would be great to have on iOS. I really don't see what they "copied from Apple". I think they took some ideas, such as the compass orientation in the maps, but I think most of the ideas were pretty original. I hope Apple doesn't lose sight of the iPhone. While the iPhone 4 was pretty innovative, it doesn't seem like it brought the ground breaking experience that the original iPhone did. Although that same impact couldn't happen now due to common-ness of touch screen devices, I still think that they could think of little things to add to iOS like HTC.

Moving on to what I want from the next iOS:

New Notifications
Live Wallpaper
The ability to customize all system sounds.
A android-like CarHome app.
Indexed Maps for better navigation and use in low signal areas.
Cloud music/streaming service.

Different design.

New notifications are coming,
Live wallpaper: have you ever actually used this on an Android phone? It lags every time you return to the home screen. It's extremely annoying IMO and Apple won't do it until it can be done much better.
Possibly a better camera next gen but the current one is really awesome IMO. 8MP won't make it any better it will just make the pictures bigger, so I'm hoping Apple doesn't go to 8MP.
iPad is slow compared to iPhone 4 actually.
Design will definitely be different to escape the stigma of the current design.

Oh and social feeds in the caller ID.. That's ridiculous. So much unneeded complication. How often do you stare at the screen before you answer your phone? Never. Social news feed updates while on speaker phone with someone (or using headphones), that would be useful.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
New notifications are coming,
Live wallpaper: have you ever actually used this on an Android phone? It lags every time you return to the home screen. It's extremely annoying IMO and Apple won't do it until it can be done much better.
Possibly a better camera next gen but the current one is really awesome IMO. 8MP won't make it any better it will just make the pictures bigger, so I'm hoping Apple doesn't go to 8MP.
iPad is slow compared to iPhone 4 actually.
Design will definitely be different to escape the stigma of the current design.

Oh and social feeds in the caller ID.. That's ridiculous. So much unneeded complication. How often do you stare at the screen before you answer your phone? Never. Social news feed updates while on speaker phone with someone (or using headphones), that would be useful.

What android have you used that lags with a live wallpaper? I have had multiple and none of them lagged with android. I think they are overrated though all they do is drain battery faster. And 8mp could make it better if they changed the sensor for a more higher end sensor.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
What android have you used that lags with a live wallpaper? I have had multiple and none of them lagged with android. I think they are overrated though all they do is drain battery faster. And 8mp could make it better if they changed the sensor for a more higher end sensor.

Every one I have used lags with live wallpaper. I was playing with the Galaxy S2 yesterday and it did the same thing.

Go ahead, use a normal wallpaper and then flip through screens as well and scroll through the app drawer.

Then do the same with a live wallpaper. There is a noticeable slowdown. This bothers some people and not others though. It used to drive me crazy on my Atrix to the point that I would not use a LWP.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Every one I have used lags with live wallpaper. I was playing with the Galaxy S2 yesterday and it did the same thing.

Go ahead, use a normal wallpaper and then flip through screens as well and scroll through the app drawer.

Then do the same with a live wallpaper. There is a noticeable slowdown. This bothers some people and not others though. It used to drive me crazy on my Atrix to the point that I would not use a LWP.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

Seriously. Every. Single. One of them.

I have never seen an Android phone that doesn't. I was truly shocked to see that the S2 still has this issue. But it's just one of those things that Android users will just not notice/not care/pretend it's not true. lol

grimduk

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Jony Ive is in charge of design, but changes have to be approved by Steve Jobs. He is highly involved in the design of each device, and he was very, very sick, so I imagine he made a conscious decision ahead of time to keep the design for that year.

@MsEye

HTC actually copied a few things from iOS in their new Sense revision... And there really isn't much new in it to be honest. I'm not a hater btw, I absolutely love HTC. They were the first (after Apple) to really put out high quality, beautiful smartphones with good UI. However HTC devices are still not iPhones.. Anyone who owns an iPhone 4 and has used HTC's Sense UI will know what I mean. There are so many little UI cracks in Android and Sense UI that I just can't take it. I know it seems dramatic but really, Samsung's TouchWiz is much better-implemented (though less attractive on face level), but still not iOS...

Apple's UI is literally as close as any UI could be to being PERFECTED. Sense UI has some nice little widgets and such, but it's not close to iOS in terms of perfection...

As usual with iOS devices, they don't do everything that other things may do, but what they do *do*, they do better than anything else.

what may i ask does sense 3.0 steal from ios that wasn't already on sense 1.0 back on windows mobile 6.5 you know before ios? and what cracks are in it i havent seen any.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
what may i ask does sense 3.0 steal from ios that wasn't already on sense 1.0 back on windows mobile 6.5 you know before ios? and what cracks are in it i havent seen any.

You can't ask that here everyone will get on you because apple invented everything.
/s