I

iMore Question

How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

I need to remove some apps from my iPhone 4s, but I don't know how

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

Welcome to iMore. Two ways of doing it. First, you can uninstall them through iTunes. Connect you phone to your computer. In iTunes go to your phone and tap on Apps. From there you can install or remove apps.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 5.23.44 PM.png

Second way is to tap and hold on an app on your phone till they start shaking. You will then have an X in the top left corner of the app. Just tap the X and the app will be deleted. Only the apps that can be deleted will show the X. Once you are done deleting, just push your home button to make them stop shaking.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
So it looks like the phone method removes the app from the 4s but keeps it in the cloud. If you want the app totally gone from both the iPhone and the iCloud, how do you do that from your 4s?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So it looks like the phone method removes the app from the 4s but keeps it in the cloud. If you want the app totally gone from both the iPhone and the iCloud, how do you do that from your 4s?

What do you mean by "gone from the iCloud"? Do you mean the purchased list in the App Store? You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
What do you mean by "gone from the iCloud"? Do you mean the purchased list in the App Store? You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer.

I mean any app, free or purchased, that you no longer want on your phone or in the iCloud. How do you permanently get rid of them from both your phone and iCloud. As to a "purchased list" - I don't care about that either way.

9AM CST 7/27/2016 - no updates?

Last edited:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I mean any app, free or purchased, that you no longer want on your phone or in the iCloud. How do you permanently get rid of them from both your phone and iCloud. As to a "purchased list" - I don't care about that either way.

9AM CST 7/27/2016 - no updates?

If an app uses iCloud storage, you can manage which apps you want to backup data from to iCloud: Settings/Storage & iCloud usage/iCloud/manage storage/backup options.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
If an app uses iCloud storage, you can manage which apps you want to backup data from to iCloud: Settings/Storage & iCloud usage/iCloud/manage storage/backup options.

I did not even mention iCloud storage of app data and I don't know why you thought I was. I'm asking how to get rid of the app itself from the iPhone and also from iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I did not even mention iCloud storage of app data and I don't know why you thought I was. I'm asking how to get rid of the app itself from the iPhone and also from iCloud.

Because you mention iCloud. Apps are not stored in iCloud. Only the data. Apps are in your purchased list in the App Store. You can't delete them. You can delete from your phone screen. Press an app icon until they wiggle. Then tap the X.
Some of the Apple default apps can not be deleted from the screen.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
OK. When you say iCloud I am taking that to me iCloud - and I assume that means both iCloud and the Cloud (or whatever, if it applies). So if my wife bought a child's app and wanted to get rid of it once the child no longer wants it then she would delete it from the phone using "wiggle" and "X". and it would be gone. And what then if she needs to restore her iPhone from iCloud? After the restore would she have to again delete that previously deleted app because it was in a "purchased" list? And what about free apps - can I assume that the iPhone delete of that free app is all she needs to do to make it disappear forever from everywhere? She doesn't want it to be simply moved to iCloud - she wants it GONE.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
OK. When you say iCloud I am taking that to me iCloud - and I assume that means both iCloud and the Cloud (or whatever, if it applies). So if my wife bought a child's app and wanted to get rid of it once the child no longer wants it then she would delete it from the phone using "wiggle" and "X". and it would be gone. And what then if she needs to restore her iPhone from iCloud? After the restore would she have to again delete that previously deleted app because it was in a "purchased" list? And what about free apps - can I assume that the iPhone delete of that free app is all she needs to do to make it disappear forever from everywhere? She doesn't want it to be simply moved to iCloud - she wants it GONE.
This was already answered by Ledsteplin in post #5 when he stated "You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer."

You cannot make them "GONE".

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
This was already answered by Ledsteplin in post #5 when he stated "You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer."
You cannot make them "GONE".

It was not really answered. She deletes the purchased app and wants it gone from her life forever. I know it's in that "purchased" list. So if she is later forced to restore her phone for whatever reason, are you saying that there is no way to do the iPhone restore without bringing back that purchased (but deleted) app to her phone? And I don't know what you mean when you say that the app can be hidden using a computer. Does "hidden" mean that an iPhone restore will not bring back that unwanted app? And how do you "hide" it with a computer?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's not on the device when the backup is done, then it will not be restored from a backup. ?? What is making you think that it would be restored?

Again, there's no way currently to make it "gone from your life forever". Delete it and forget about it.

Hiding it with a computer means using the iTunes software on a computer to hide the app.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
A backup simply restores what's on the iPhone when the backup was made.

I have downloaded more than 5000 apps over the years and I perform a restore from a backup on a regular basis. Those apps I don't have on my phone don't come back after the update.

You can hide apps from the purchase list like others already stated. That will not make the purchase undone but simply will hide it from the purchased list.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Just curious - why do you do restores on a regular basis?

If you are very iPhone savvy perhaps you might know the answer(s) to the other 2 questions I have posted ("participated") to the forum - I'm user cwr64.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

From time to time I'm updating to betas and then I restore it from the latest backup to have everything like before the update.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site

Makes sense. I'm retired from a career with mainframe computers but for whatever reason it seems like I'm over-busy all the time. Anyway, I only have my wife's very old and mostly broken Android phone (to which I cannot even download an app or run a browser). My wife has the 4S and she's not the least bit techie. I don't want tech anymore and the many Apple parts (iPhone, iCloud, iCloud Drive, iPhoto, iTunes, etc.) just leave me in frustration trying to figure out what we OUGHT to be doing with those products. But then things come up with her iPhone and she wants me to fix them or learn about them and so here we are on the forum. I do appreciate your help. If you have looked at my other 2 forum posts you can probably see that all is not well.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

It will grow on you. Believe me.
If you have any further questions, ask away. We're happy to help.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods