Giving Wife the 4S: Factory Reset Before or After New SIM?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I recently replaced my iPhone 4S with a 6S, and am giving the 4S to my wife (who still has an old Motorola flip phone!). At the same time, I'm moving the 4S from AT&T to Consumer Cellular, which, of course, involves installing a new SIM card.

It's going to be easier all around just to reset the 4S and then install whatever apps my wife needs, but the question is: Should I reset the phone before installing (but not activating) the new SIM, or after? Or does it matter? This phone is currently not activated, awaiting its new SIM card.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! It doesn't really matter which one you do first. Make sure AT&T unlocked the 4s before you attempt to activate another carrier's SIM.

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Thank you!

It doesn't really matter which one you do first. Make sure AT&T unlocked the 4s before you attempt to activate another carrier's SIM.

The 4S is currently de-activated and has no cellular connection: The phone # was ported to the new 6S, which is on the Consumer Cellular network (they rent bandwidth from AT&T and so have the same coverage, but can be a lot cheaper). Is that what you mean by "unlocked" or is there more to it?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Thank you!

It doesn't really matter which one you do first. Make sure AT&T unlocked the 4s before you attempt to activate another carrier's SIM.

The iPhone 4s is de-activated and has no cellular signal; the phone # was ported to my new 6S on the Consumer Cellular network (they rent bandwidth from AT&T and therefore have the same coverage). Is that what you mean by "unlocked" or is there more to it?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

The iPhone 4s is de-activated and has no cellular signal; the phone # was ported to my new 6S on the Consumer Cellular network (they rent bandwidth from AT&T and therefore have the same coverage). Is that what you mean by "unlocked" or is there more to it?

Many carriers "lock" phones to their own networks but last year congress passed legislation that requires them to "unlock" the phones once the contract has been satisfied. Older phones require the customer to contact the carrier to request an unlock. Again, this depends on your carrier and the agreement you entered into with them.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner