iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor is made to stop face dialing, but why can't I use me key pad during a call?

Example 1: I call a number and put the phone to my ear, the call may say "press one for english or press two for spanish"
    I try to press one but it will not accept my pressing the 1 button no matter how many times, so I have to hang up and not make my call.

Example 2: I'm calling my drug store to fill my prescriptions, it says to enter the prescription number, I lower the phone to press in the numbers but the keyboard is not working or responding to the pressing or even pounding of my finger on the numbers.

Example 3: I'm on an important call, the other person is talking, and one of my alarms are going off to remind me to do something, I have a loud rock song as the sound and the screen wants me to press "OK" to stop the music, but I press and press and it doesn't work. It's the screen thats disabled and will not me press anything on the screen during a phone call.

I'M GOING F'IN CRAZY WITH THIS ****!!!!
    I WANNA FLUSH THIS PHONE IN THE TOILET.
    10-09-2015 12:40 PM
    Sounds like a possible hardware issue that at this point may well cost more to fix than the device is worth...
    10-09-2015 04:01 PM