I upgraded my iPhone 4S to IOS 9. The upgrade went smoothly, but now I'm facing the problem, that the Contacts.app crashes immediately after opening it. The app is still visible in the background with a white screen, but it isn't possible to get it to the front. Then it disappears immediately and I see my iPhone home screen.

Any help is very much appreciated.
    09-21-2015 03:32 AM
    Are your contacts saved locally or synced through a service such as iCloud?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-21-2015 04:30 PM
    I save my contacts locally and in the icloud with backup on my mac
    09-22-2015 02:45 AM
    Okay, then try this:

First, go to iCloud.com and make sure your contacts are there. Then sign out of iCloud on your device. When it asks, let it delete the info from your phone. Then try to open the app. If it still won't open, you may need to erase all contents, but I'm hoping you can avoid that.

09-22-2015 08:03 AM
    Thank you for your advice. I tried as you said, but unfortunately it didn't help. The contact.app still crashes. I already deleted and restored all contents of my iPhone yesterday, but without success. I also did a complete restore of the iOS via iTunes, but still have the same problem. Do you know if Apple will release an iOS9 update in near future? I seems that there are several problems with iPhones 4S and iOS9, when I read the forums.
    09-22-2015 09:42 AM
    I am sure they will eventually. I am sorry you're having so much trouble with this.

If you look at your contacts through the phone app, does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-22-2015 10:50 AM
    I just found out that my phone app crashes too when I try to open it (I don't make much phone calls.) I still can reply to incoming phone calls.
    And I even can't send emails anymore. When trying to open a new message window, the email app crashes. It's a wonder, that iMessage still works. I'm really unhappy with iOS9. Never had so much issues with an update.
    09-22-2015 11:05 AM
    I just found out that my phone app crashes too when I try to open it (I don't make much phone calls.) I still can reply to incoming phone calls.
    And I even can't send emails anymore. When trying to open a new message window, the email app crashes. It's a wonder, that iMessage still works. I'm really unhappy with iOS9. Never had so much issues with an update.
    How did you restore the phone? Did you restore from a back up? If so, you may need to restore as new. The back up may be corrupted.
    Laelipoo likes this.
    09-22-2015 11:08 AM
    How did you restore the phone? Did you restore from a back up? If so, you may need to restore as new. The back up may be corrupted.
    It does sound like some bad data. I would try this, OP. If it fixes it, then yay. If not, you still have your backup to restore. Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-22-2015 11:11 AM
    Thank you for your advice. Yes, I restored my iPhone after the iOS restore via iTunes with my backup locally stored on my Mac. I think it's worth a try to restore the OS again without any backup and see what happens. I let you know....
    09-22-2015 12:56 PM
    Thank you for your advice. Yes, I restored my iPhone after the complete restore of the iOS with the local backup on my Mac. I think it's worth a try to restore the iOS again without any backup and see what happens. I let you know....

1 hour later:
    Very interesting... iPhone newly restored with iOS9 and without the backup --> and Phone.app and Contact.app are working nicely. I guess your estimation was a direct hit. Now I'm restoring my apps, photos, music etc. one after the other.

Thank you so much for your help, folks. I appreciate it very much!!! You saved my iPhone.
    Last edited by sorina91; 09-22-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Laelipoo likes this.
    09-22-2015 01:02 PM
    I'm glad you got it working. Take care!

09-22-2015 03:02 PM