Battery life after using battery case

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I used to run a mophie juice pack pro on my case got sick on the huge case and have since bought an iPad so I figured I wouldn't need it anymore

I switched my phone into a lifeproof case and ever since I see dramatic drops in battery life

Sometimes I can see it drop as much as 20-25% in 10 mins using just safari or Facebook. Other times it drops a % or so every minute or so

Is it possible the increased frequency of charging with the mophie case has pooched my battery?

Edit to add: I also noticed that as soon as I plug the charger in the % indicator immediately jumps up 15-25%. Then if I unplug it it slowly drops down again. Just this afternoon the phone went from 71% to 25% in less than an hour just sitting on the table with all apps closed. Plugged it in and it immediately went to 48%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You need to use it until it dies and let it charge undisturbed once in a while to keep the battery monitoring software realistically representing what the hardware is doing.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
You may just have issues with your battery. I have been using Mophie cases for a few years and have never had any issues.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've read that recently. I'm OCD now about not letting my phone drain completely too often.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the opinions. I am thinking the battery is done. I got less than 2hrs of usage today from full charge and now sitting at 10%. Mix of phone, text, minimal safari use and standby. No streaming of any music or video at all.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Did you, by any chance, let Morphie power the phone while it was still at or near full charge ?

I have a uNu case, and there's a small button on the back to stop the external battery from charging the phone. Basically, if I leave it plugged in overnight, the case and the phone will both be fully charged in the morning, and when I disconnect the plug I must manually turn the case battery off. If I don't, the case will attempt to supply power to the fully charged internal battery, which would eventually degrade the performance of the internal battery. The case does not have circuitry to monitor the phone battery charge state & shut off electronically. AFAIK Morphie is the same way, but it has an easily switheable button as opposed to the flush one that's hard to find in the dark on uNu.

I don't use the case daily, just for travel.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you, by any chance, let Morphie power the phone while it was still at or near full charge ?

I have a uNu case, and there's a small button on the back to stop the external battery from charging the phone. Basically, if I leave it plugged in overnight, the case and the phone will both be fully charged in the morning, and when I disconnect the plug I must manually turn the case battery off. If I don't, the case will attempt to supply power to the fully charged internal battery, which would eventually degrade the performance of the internal battery. The case does not have circuitry to monitor the phone battery charge state & shut off electronically. AFAIK Morphie is the same way, but it has an easily switheable button as opposed to the flush one that's hard to find in the dark on uNu.

I don't use the case daily, just for travel.

I have been using the Mophie case for a few years and the iPhone regulates the power. I always use the Mophie first prior to the phone battery. This will not hurt the phone battery because the phone will regulate it, nor will it hurt having the phone on the charger all the time. Using it this way makes the battery last longer and the phone or the Mophie don't heat up.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have been using the Mophie case for a few years and the iPhone regulates the power. I always use the Mophie first prior to the phone battery. This will not hurt the phone battery because the phone will regulate it, nor will it hurt having the phone on the charger all the time. Using it this way makes the battery last longer and the phone or the Mophie don't heat up.

Same here z
Good Luck

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I thought maybe that was the issue (constantly charging). Before I had the iPad I consumed ALOT of media with my iPhone in a day. So much so that I would use the full mophie Juicepack pro charge and have the iPhone battery down to 50% by evening. I may schedule a diagnostic with Apple just to see. It's going through 75% of its charge just on standby within a couple hours now. I am having to throw it on the charger 2-3 times a day.

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
When using a battery case it is just a series of charging not replacing main power supply of your device. Means it works just like powerbanks so if your device is working/used along with that battery case, it may cause some problem to your battery like its cycle and capacity. :)

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Here's what uNu manual says:

"We suggest not to turn on the case charging until battery runs low. Otherwise, the constantly recharging may lead to a reduction to the iPhone’s original battery lifespan."

http://www.myunu.com/pdf/uNu-DX1700_manual.pdf

Morphie, however, says it's OK to use their case to supply power to the fully charged iPhone - I looked at their manual.

Here's the thing, though... both cases simply supply power to iPhone via charging port. When I have the uNu battery turned on, there's a lightning icon on iPhone, indicating that it's charging. Does the same happen with Morphie (I assume yes). So here we have two companies, essentially building the same product, with two opposite claims. Any electrical engineers willing to step in ?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can test a battery with this test:
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73