iPhone 4S charging symbol doesn't show up

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've been having a problem with charging my iphone. Whenever I plug it in to a wall charger to charge it doesn't make that "chirping" sound anymore and it also doesn't show the charging battery symbol at all but it charges (although it charges really really slowly, lately.)

Sometimes it seems that the battery percentage goes down as it charges as well.

Also, when I plug it into my computer via USB my computer doesn't recognize it. Nothing happens and it doesn't appear on my computer or iTunes. I made sure it's not the cable because I plugged in my ipod to charge and it did it fine.

Any suggestions? I'm running iOS 7.0.6. Do you think upgrading to iOS 8 would help?

Thanks,

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, try to clean the charging socket of your iPhone with a toothpick. It's most likely compacted dust, stuck in the opening

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, try to clean the charging socket of your iPhone with a toothpick. It's most likely compacted dust, stuck in the opening
Or use a clean, dry toothbrush to carefully clean/loosen anything that might be in there... and give it a shot of canned air...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not enough current reaching the phone from the charger... also clean out the 30 pin port on the end of the USB cable...

faithbell2019

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
i have cleaned my charging port and bought a new charger and my iphone 4s is still charging very very slow and the lightning bolt still does not show up nor does it make the sound telling me that its charging what could it be?:(

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
i have cleaned my charging port and bought a new charger and my iphone 4s is still charging very very slow and the lightning bolt still does not show up nor does it make the sound telling me that its charging what could it be?:(

Welcome to iMore! Some thoughts:
1. Reset your device by holding the power button and home button down simultaneously until you see the Apple boot logo.
2. This isn't surprising considering the age of your iPhone 4s. Apple's iPhone batteries are designed to retain 80% of their original capacity for 500 full charge cycles. After that you're on borrowed time and it's possible your battery has simply reached the end of its useful life.
3. You could try restoring through iTunes to weed out a software issue. Worth a try at this point.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
it wont connect to my computer along with it not saying its charging

Try going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Make sure you have a recent iCloud backup first. This will restore your iPhone back to factory settings. Try charging it again. If it charges then you're in business. If not, you have to make a decision between replacing the battery or replacing your iPhone. Apple's battery service costs $79 plus $6.95 shipping.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/#mn_p

max354

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
This exact problem has been happening to my iPhone 4S. The phone charges very, very slowly, but the lightning symbol doesn't show up. When I try to connect it to my mac, it charges, but the computer doesn't recognize it and it doesn't show up in iTunes. I've tried cleaning it out, but nothing seems to be helping.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This exact problem has been happening to my iPhone 4S. The phone charges very, very slowly, but the lightning symbol doesn't show up. When I try to connect it to my mac, it charges, but the computer doesn't recognize it and it doesn't show up in iTunes. I've tried cleaning it out, but nothing seems to be helping.

Might be time for a new phone. Unfortunately your 4s is on borrowed time by now.

max354

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE: I just bought a new cable and everything works fine now!! The lightning symbol shows up when I plug in to charge and the phone is also recognized by iTunes when I hook it up to the computer.

I didn't even think it could be a cable problem because I was trying it with two old cables and just assumed that at least one of them had to be fine. But, I guess not! With these old 4S cables, I think one or more of the pins stop working, so the cable still works, but it charges slowly and doesn't connect to the computer.

(But, yeah, I agree that the iPhone 4S is ancient now (I'll have had it for 4 years this year!), so time to replace it soon! But, I'm just glad that it's working properly again!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad your new cable fixed your issue but I'm still having the same problem. Not only does the lightening charging symbol and chirping sound not show up but the only way I can charge my phone is if I turn the phone off (holding the button on the top and slide to power off.) And if I don't turn the phone off then the phone won't charge at all. I've tried 3 different cables already.

max354

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear that! If you have tried it with a brand new cable, and it still didn't work, then it might be a hardware or an iOS problem.

I had the same symptoms as yours (though in my case, I didn't need to turn the phone off to charge. It charged when it was turned on, but it would do so very, very slowly (like, it would only charge to 60 or 70% even after 24+ hours of being plugged in).

rizvisah

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
I just opened the back panel opened the screws for connector of the charger port and tried reseating it .it worked all good

Hope u find this helpful
I’m an ametuer btw

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234