I have a iPhone 4S - 16GB with IOS 7.1.1. When IOS 8.0 was released there were some concerns. Several bloggers suggested to hold off on updating. Since then, there have been a couple of updates. It's now IOS 8.1. So is it finally advisable to update older devices like a 16GB iPhone 4S? "Is it safe to come out?" Thanks
    11-13-2014 09:45 PM
    In my personal opinion, yes, it is safe to upgrade your device to iOS 8.1.
    11-14-2014 01:33 PM
    I was reluctant to upgrade my iPhone4s because I was worried about performance issues and lack of jailbreak tweaks. However, I really wanted the new iMessage features and the apple watch interface so I decided to upgrade.
    The system is as stable as 7.1.2, no FCs/Random reboots thus far, I experience no battery drain and the system is not noticeably slower. It takes a little longer to boot and to start App Store and Safari after fresh boot.
    11-15-2014 10:13 AM
    I was reluctant to upgrade my iPhone4s because I was worried about performance issues and lack of jailbreak tweaks. However, I really wanted the new iMessage features and the apple watch interface so I decided to upgrade.
    The system is as stable as 7.1.2, no FCs/Random reboots thus far, I experience no battery drain and the system is not noticeably slower. It takes a little longer to boot and to start App Store and Safari after fresh boot.
    Can you advise on gaming? Do you play games? I have a 4s still running 7.1.1 and my fiance plays games on it, and not sure if it`s a good idea to update. Won`t it be drain the battery more that it does already?
    11-18-2014 05:59 AM
    Should you have issues with an older device on iOS 8, there are measures you can take to help your device run as well as it can.
    1. Leave 20% or more of your internal storage space free. This helps to not constrain the system.
    2. Get rid of unnecessary features. Yeah, some are cool, but they will bog down an older model phone.
    3. Disable transparency effects. Toggle on "Increase Transparency" in Accessibility.
    4. Toggle off "Background App Refresh".
    Good luck.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-18-2014 06:31 AM
    This update seriously made my 5c blast around like it was in its prime. It was showing a tiny hint of lag and that all but evaporated. I seriously missed using it as my daily driver. 8.1.1 is a definite device saver for older phones...
    11-18-2014 08:16 AM
    Converted my daughter from android & gave her my iPhone 5 32gb (she loves it by the way) & all I could find was a 4s 16gb (I'm on unlimited data). Upgraded it right away to latest iOS 8 release & no problems. Have noticed dropping some frames with games, but that isn't why I got it anyway.
    11-18-2014 10:05 PM
    My 4s is definitely as peppy as its ever been with iOS 8.1
    I'm glad to see Apple's dedication to it's older phones, makes me want to stick with the iPhone line.
    12-12-2014 03:42 AM