I have a pretty new iPhone 4S (32GB) which I ordered just because I was madly in love with its form factor.

It is running iOS 6.1.3. After reading about how sluggish the phone becomes once updated to iOS 8, I am considering not going for the update and retaining iOS 6.1.3.

Is there anything I need to be concerned about or can I just keep my iPhone running iOS 6?

Thanks
    10-01-2014 03:39 PM
    My thoughts are to stay on iOS 6. If you are used to how quick and responsive apps open and close that is. With Apple's new coat of paint they also brought heavy transitions. iOS 6 has much better performance than iOS 7/8.
    bandee829 likes this.
    10-01-2014 03:46 PM
    As long as you have the applications you need you will be fine. But be warned that you may no longer get application updates for your model of phone after this round. I'd suggest returning the 4S and move up to the 5S if you can, same form factor, larger screen, thinner profile and better hardware in general.
    bandee829 likes this.
    10-01-2014 03:53 PM
    I agree with both answers so far. I wouldn't update if you are good with what you have, there is a good chance that your usability will be compromised. Also as stated, apps may or may not stop working or work incorrectly when they are updated.
    bandee829 likes this.
    10-01-2014 05:58 PM
    The reason I bought the 4S even though I could have gone for a 5S/6 is because I wanted just the 4S. It appeals to me like no other iPhone does. However, thanks for the suggestion. I am not a fan of phones with big screens.

Apps not being available is also a concern. So I am planning to take my chances and upgrade in a few days I guess as I use the basic features of phone like cellular calls & messaging and camera. Nothing much.

I am curious what would happen if I upgraded to iOS8 and then did a factory reset. Will it be restored back to iOS6.1.3 or the iOS8 will be on it with all other settings restored?
    10-02-2014 01:37 AM
    The reason I bought the 4S even though I could have gone for a 5S/6 is because I wanted just the 4S. It appeals to me like no other iPhone does. However, thanks for the suggestion. I am not a fan of phones with big screens.

Apps not being available is also a concern. So I am planning to take my chances and upgrade in a few days I guess as I use the basic features of phone like cellular calls & messaging and camera. Nothing much.

I am curious what would happen if I upgraded to iOS8 and then did a factory reset. Will it be restored back to iOS6.1.3 or the iOS8 will be on it with all other settings restored?
    iOS 8 would be on it after a reset.
    10-02-2014 08:13 AM
    Yeah I like how snapper 6 is compared to 7 and 8. I like the look of the new os but I don't care for those motion effects. And even with them off it still doesn't feel as fast as 6.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-05-2014 01:14 PM
    once you upgrade, you're stuck, there's no going back. I would pay money to downgrade from this horrible 8.1 OS very sluggish compared to iOS 6 or 7 despite me turning off transparency
    11-22-2014 06:01 PM
    Upgrade to ios 8.2
    01-09-2015 03:34 PM