Got two phones: 4s and z10

• Thread starter Deleted member 353187
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 353187

What do I keep?

Both great phones. I love my BlackBerry. It does everything apart from some apps. It has 4G.

The 4S is still a great phone. I am up to speed with all the virals that happen and I have the largest app market. Messaging system is not as simple as BlackBerry Hub. Doesn't have 4G.

Basically I'm paying for two phones. The z10 is contracted. I want to have just one phone to save money. I love everything about my z10 but I can't use Spotify and Vine.

I can't afford the 5S but if I was offered it for the price of my contract as it is in exchange for both phones I maybe tempted to leave BB10.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
IMO I would try to sell them both and get the 5S. You have to do what makes sense for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
IMO I would try to sell them both and get the 5S. You have to do what makes sense for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Nice idea to get iPhone5s you have to try this(instead of 4s) bcos 5s is amazing & really affordable device.

if you love Z10 then do what u think

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Like others have mentioned, ditch the other two phones and upgrade to the 5s. That's for surely what I'd do.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
One more vote for "sell them both" and get a 5S. Depending on your location you can get a couple hundred for the 4S, and slightly less for the other one. Should be enough to pick up a used 5S, or possibly even a new one again depending on your location.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to forget about Spotify and Vine? The Z10 is a pretty nice package compared to a 4s. I'd keep the Z10 or do what you can to get into the phone you want (which seems to be the 5s).

tea1990

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Have you updated the z10 to 10.2.1, you should be able to them directly load vine and spotify through the google play store.

Test the z10 with 10.2.1 and see of it meets your needs, for sure it's better than the 4s.

Video walkthrough of the new features in BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 | CrackBerry.com
Like what acadia11 mentioned, now it is possible for BlackBerry OS10 to install Android applications through a sideloaded app called Snap. But! The fact that you can load Android application does not mean it is fully integrated into the core software of BBOS. I owned Z10 for over a year and it just doesn't cut it by today's standard. My biggest grudge(s) against Z10 are frequent connection drop for Android ports and no native support for Android based application.

For example I might be tempted to install social-media app like Path or Instagram, but got disappointed by the fact that it does NOT integrate native Android notifications into BBOS. This means you won't be able to know if someone commented or like your post, or get notifications if somebody messaged you via Android apps. Even when it does, it is so random that you won't be able to tell why. That was a big letdown. Not to mention frequent connection drop on Android ports that it won't connect to network data regardless whether the BlackBerry half of the phone is connected. This is especially annoying when you have to move fast or use certain application quick and simply to get past the day (like using Waze on the way home). I own STL100-1, and probably that was why I experienced such discomfort. I noticed that STL100-2/3/4 doesn't have these persistent problems (CMIIW). I bended over backwards trying to fix the problem (sideloading different Android runtime, restarting the phone, detaching the battery for 1 hour, etc.) until one day I noticed that the only apps I use are the ones that are Android-based. Felt like a fool, I made a switch to iPhone. Best decision I've ever made so far.

Keep iPhone +1.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You can complain about the ecosystem, the OS itself is ahead of the rest iOS looks cartoonish by comparison. IOS has a 7 year lead in app creation, I have no idea why people keep talking as though day 1 every app on iOS would exist on bb10. Heck it took almost 2 years to get a native version of Instagram on Android?

People keep talking about apps and completely ignoring the OS on bb10 which is a beast, period.

10.2.1 is like butter babby

http://www.daddoes.com/10248/blackberry-challenge-z30-vs-iphone5/

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the others on here recommending selling both to get an iPhone. If that's not an option I would suggest getting rid of the z10; it's intrinsic value is rapidly diminishing; in fact the 2011 iPhone 4S commands a higher price then the 2013 z10 on the second hand market.

Ps: "The question is, Do we need to be in the device business? That remains to be seen.? -John Chen (blackberry CEO, Feb. 25, 2014)

The writings on the wall, good luck with your perceived quandary.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'll just tell you that if you doubt yourself about selling a particular device, don't sell it. You'll never stop thinking about it. Just follow your intuition.

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the others on here recommending selling both to get an iPhone. If that's not an option I would suggest getting rid of the z10; it's intrinsic value is rapidly diminishing; in fact the 2011 iPhone 4S commands a higher price then the 2013 z10 on the second hand market.

Ps: "The question is, Do we need to be in the device business? That remains to be seen.? -John Chen (blackberry CEO, Feb. 25, 2014)

The writings on the wall, good luck with your perceived quandary.

This does not mean blackberry powered devices will disappear, even if they go down this route. It simply means they may outsource design and build, for example, Foxconn who by the way also builds the iphone is building and designing its on bberry device.

Blackberry may expand such partnerships in the future. Basically taking a similar approach to google and nexus.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This does not mean blackberry powered devices will disappear, even if they go down this route. It simply means they may outsource design and build, for example, Foxconn who by the way also builds the iphone is building and designing its on bberry device.

Blackberry may expand such partnerships in the future. Basically taking a similar approach to google and nexus.

Did palm devices disappear?
No, but they are practically useless today, and they no longer hold any intrinsic value. Same can be said for Symbian devices.

Btw other than Foxconn who else is building bb devices?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Did palm devices disappear?
No, but they are practically useless today, and they no longer hold any intrinsic value. Same can be said for Symbian devices.

Btw other than Foxconn who else is building bb devices?

Because you can tell the future I suggest you become an analyst. Bberry and palm are two different companies with the two different asset profiles.

Moreover, I'm simply stating the strategy by Chen now CEO of Bberry.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Because you can tell the future I suggest you become an analyst. Bberry and palm are two different companies with the two different asset profiles.

No need the writing is on the wall.

Your right someone actually bought palm. No one bought blackberry.

Last edited:

jegs2

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
No need the writing is on the wall.

Your right someone actually bought palm. No one bought blackberry.

Broke out my old Treo 750p about a week ago just to mess around with it.

Found I really missed its simplicity. But man was that thing bulky!

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Your case is similar to mine. I had Z10 for just two months(couldn't bear more than that) STL100-1 . The OS is fluid BUT pretty old school. Android run time sucks on BB 10. They really need to work on this. I mean, why buy a BlackBerry if u running Android apps! Lol

I already had a iPhone 5 prior to Z10 so I jumped back to iPhone 5 and I am glad that I did.

OP - I would strongly recommend you to sell off ur both devices and buy 5s(as mentioned by others)

Good luck!

Like what acadia11 mentioned, now it is possible for BlackBerry OS10 to install Android applications through a sideloaded app called Snap. But! The fact that you can load Android application does not mean it is fully integrated into the core software of BBOS. I owned Z10 for over a year and it just doesn't cut it by today's standard. My biggest grudge(s) against Z10 are frequent connection drop for Android ports and no native support for Android based application.

For example I might be tempted to install social-media app like Path or Instagram, but got disappointed by the fact that it does NOT integrate native Android notifications into BBOS. This means you won't be able to know if someone commented or like your post, or get notifications if somebody messaged you via Android apps. Even when it does, it is so random that you won't be able to tell why. That was a big letdown. Not to mention frequent connection drop on Android ports that it won't connect to network data regardless whether the BlackBerry half of the phone is connected. This is especially annoying when you have to move fast or use certain application quick and simply to get past the day (like using Waze on the way home). I own STL100-1, and probably that was why I experienced such discomfort. I noticed that STL100-2/3/4 doesn't have these persistent problems (CMIIW). I bended over backwards trying to fix the problem (sideloading different Android runtime, restarting the phone, detaching the battery for 1 hour, etc.) until one day I noticed that the only apps I use are the ones that are Android-based. Felt like a fool, I made a switch to iPhone. Best decision I've ever made so far.

Keep iPhone +1.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner