Just got an iPhone 4S, what to do with it?

BoldPreza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Mainly a BlackBerry guy(love my Z10), very active on the CrackBerry forums but tonight I was given a free iPhone 4S 64GB. Dad didn't seem to want it, I tried for a couple of hours to convince him to keep it, but he says he doesn't need/want it. So he told me to take it and eventually I said yes. :D

Thing is though, I have no idea what to do with it now. I do have to unlock it to work with my SIM card, not a big deal, $20, but what apps do you guys recommend? What functional things should I do to optimize it and so forth. Any tips for the newb? I will be switching back and forth with my BlackBerry, not getting rid of either one.

Oh, I was wondering though, can I download apps without a SIM in it? I haven't had a chance obviously to unlock it yet and still need a phone for my emails and stuff so if I can do it with wifi would be great!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about SIM-less app downloading, but no need to do anything for optimization. Apple takes care of that at the hardware level. Obviously you should download the iMore app for quick access to the iMore blog posts. But other than that we would need more info, I would start by downloading the apps you have on your Z10 and do some comparisons.

I've had an iPhone since 2010 and I love it, but I started on Blackberry and would still love to have a BB10 device to play around with.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

BoldPreza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right now I am trying to add my emails. I got my personal one, but having trouble finding how to add the second one for work. Unfortunately I think that downloading apps will have to wait till I get the thing unlocked. Definitely getting the iMore app though.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and congrats on picking up your 4S. The 4s is an awesome device. Definitely get the iMore app and the iMore forums app. Everything you'll want, you'll be able to find in the App Store. Enjoy your 4S!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am trying to add my emails. I got my personal one, but having trouble finding how to add the second one for work. Unfortunately I think that downloading apps will have to wait till I get the thing unlocked. Definitely getting the iMore app though.

Just go to settings, mail, contacts, and calendars, then select the email provider and enter your info. It is a little out of the way, but once it's done they are on the phone until you take them off. And welcome, I seem to have forgotten that in my first post.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You know which app you need? BBM :D

I'd upgrade it to iOS 7, if it hasn't already been done. Some of the swipe gestures will feel somewhat familiar if you're already using a Z10. If you're going to be running both the BlackBerry and iPhone, I'd suggest some cross platform apps like Evernote and Dropbox. Also, if you haven't already, move your contacts and calendar into the cloud so that you can access them via Caldav and Carddav on all your device and keep it all in sync.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
First off, congrats on getting the iPhone 5s.

Second off, it really depends on what you do on a smartphone. May it be reading, photo taking, editing of documents, etc, the apps you should get should be relevant to those activities. Well, as for knowing exactly what apps you need for a particular activity, you could google for them or ask us here. I'm sure if you let us know you better in terms of usage needs we will help you here in the forums.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Definitely download the BBM app... and if you don't already have iTunes, install iTunes on your PC.

I'd say of course download any of the social network apps you'd be interested in. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc etc... It's hard to recommend other apps without knowing your usage, but here's a few I use:

Flipboard
Bloomberg
Mint
E*Trade
theCHIVE
Amazon
eBay
YouTube
Yelp

BoldPreza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So with regards to iTunes, do I need to have that to download apps? It has an iTunes app on it and an App Store app.

Also for music, I have a lot on my BlackBerry, is it as simple as downloading my music from my laptop or do I have to go through iTunes. I always heard you had to go through iTunes but I am sure there is some sort of work around.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess if your blackberry is your main phone.. U can use the iphone for games n such all you would need is wifi and an Apple ID account

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So with regards to iTunes, do I need to have that to download apps? It has an iTunes app on it and an App Store app.

Also for music, I have a lot on my BlackBerry, is it as simple as downloading my music from my laptop or do I have to go through iTunes. I always heard you had to go through iTunes but I am sure there is some sort of work around.

App Store for apps, iTunes for everything else. Yes you will need to use iTunes for your music. It sucks, but you'll be using iTunes anyway for other things.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Just go to settings, mail, contacts, and calendars, then select the email provider and enter your info. It is a little out of the way, but once it's done they are on the phone until you take them off. And welcome, I seem to have forgotten that in my first post.

If you have a gmail, make sure to set up a gmail account in Exchange (m.google.com) , so that you can get instant mail push.
Yahoo has a push mail too.
Once you have created an iTune account, I believe you should be able to download apps without the radio, i.e., via WiFi (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Ujjwal Agarwal

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
First off, congrats on getting the iPhone 5s.

Second off, it really depends on what you do on a smartphone. May it be reading, photo taking, editing of documents, etc, the apps you should get should be relevant to those activities. Well, as for knowing exactly what apps you need for a particular activity, you could google for them or ask us here. I'm sure if you let us know you better in terms of usage needs we will help you here in the forums.

go home you're drunk :p OP got a 4s
you must be obsessed with the 5s :rotfl:

Ujjwal Agarwal

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Mainly a BlackBerry guy(love my Z10), very active on the CrackBerry forums but tonight I was given a free iPhone 4S 64GB. Dad didn't seem to want it, I tried for a couple of hours to convince him to keep it, but he says he doesn't need/want it. So he told me to take it and eventually I said yes. :D

Thing is though, I have no idea what to do with it now. I do have to unlock it to work with my SIM card, not a big deal, $20, but what apps do you guys recommend? What functional things should I do to optimize it and so forth. Any tips for the newb? I will be switching back and forth with my BlackBerry, not getting rid of either one.

Oh, I was wondering though, can I download apps without a SIM in it? I haven't had a chance obviously to unlock it yet and still need a phone for my emails and stuff so if I can do it with wifi would be great!

you can't use the phone without a sim card :)

julieb9

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I too am a BB user. (Also Z10) before that I had a 4s. I just use it around the house with my wifi. Play games or just use it to look up stuff. Play music off of. Can't seem to get rid of it. haha.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I would try to use it in the same manner as the Z10 and compare the two phones, noting the advantages of each one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen