I was making a call when the screen turned black. I could still feel the phone vibrate and it would make that sound when I plugged it in. I thought it was the digitizer but when I opened it, the motherboard smelled kind of burnt.
    I've always had cheap phone, this is my first Iphone so I really don't know much. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can fix it myself. Am I shooting too far?

Should I order the motherboard or digitizer?

Thanks guys!
    10-11-2013 09:47 PM
    I recommend you make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store. Having said that, take a look at the information via the link below:

How to replace a cracked screen on an iPhone 4S | iMore

It is in regard to replacing a cracked iPhone 4S screen but it also has information about the digitizer and other parts.
    10-11-2013 09:57 PM
    I agree with D. I would make an appointment at your nearest Apple store.
    10-12-2013 12:55 AM
    Thanks guys!
    Unfortunately, I don't have a warranty anymore. Should I take it to the local phone fixing place?
    10-12-2013 11:13 AM
    Thanks guys!
    Unfortunately, I don't have a warranty anymore. Should I take it to the local phone fixing place?
    Yes. Just make sure it is an a Apple authorized repair place. Not to say other places couldn't do the work, I would just want an Apple authorized place for my own peace of mind.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-12-2013 11:19 AM
    Thanks guys!
    Call the Apple Store and ask how much would it cost to replace it and then compare it to the cost of a local repair shop. If Apple's price is comparable, go with Apple. Also, depending on your financial situation, it may be more prudent to get a 5C or 5S via subsidy.
    10-12-2013 11:20 AM
    Call the Apple Store and ask how much would it cost to replace it and then compare it to the cost of a local repair shop. If Apple's price is comparable, go with Apple. Also, depending on your financial situation, it may be more prudent to get a 5C or 5S via subsidy.
    If I recall correctly, an out of warranty swap/replacement from an Apple store is in the $125-150 range. It’s been a while, though.
    10-12-2013 12:53 PM
    If I recall correctly, an out of warranty swap/replacement from an Apple store is in the $125-150 range. Its been a while, though.
    I was thinking the same thing earlier, but couldn't remember the price range. I want to say it would be the equivalent of its current subsidy price.
    10-12-2013 02:34 PM
    I was making a call when the screen turned black. I could still feel the phone vibrate and it would make that sound when I plugged it in. I thought it was the digitizer but when I opened it, the motherboard smelled kind of burnt.
    I've always had cheap phone, this is my first Iphone so I really don't know much. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can fix it myself. Am I shooting too far?

Should I order the motherboard or digitizer?

Thanks guys!
    It's prob just the LCD and digitizer although seems strange .. You can replace it yourself if you feel you can handle it check out the repair guides on ifixit .. If not a local shop should be around 70 bucks .. FYI the digitizer and LCD are all one piece.
    10-12-2013 02:46 PM