Me and my girlfriend don't mind keeping our 4S iPhones, but staying with Verizon means paying the same rates as if we subsidized new phones forever.

It doesn't make sense to keep them and the plan. It feels like we're forced to upgrade if we don't want to get ripped off forever.

Moving to TMO and getting the 5S will cost about the same as staying with Verizon with the old 4S.

Thoughts?
    09-10-2013 09:34 PM
    Before I look at switching to a new carrier I always look their coverage first. Saving money is nice, but what good is that if I can't use my new phone due to service issues. Do you know how T-Mobiles service is in your area compared to what you are getting now on Verizon's network?
    09-10-2013 10:16 PM
    I agree. And from research, TMO in my area has just started rolling out LTE so it's inconsistent. But Verizon in my area (SF Bay Area) has also had many complaints recently, with AT&T the fastest and most consistent.

So I guess TMO is out. But it still leaves me wondering why not upgrade if I'm paying subsidy prices anyway with no end is in sight regardless of being on contract.

The main point is, I feel forced to upgrade or else I'm overpaying for an old device fully paid for. Is this perception shared by others?
    09-11-2013 01:03 AM
    I have always thought this myself, that if I didn't use my upgrade that I was wasting money due to the subsidy integrated into the cost of service. If you are happy with Verizon service and your current price plan, I say upgrade! Sell your old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist and you can actually put some cash back in your pocket.

Personally I went the other route. My contracted ended with AT&T and I unlocked my iPhone and went prepaid. I'm now saving about $50 (2 lines) per month. The plan is to buy a used iPhone 5s in the spring with cash once all the hype has worn off.
    09-11-2013 06:10 AM
    Before I look at switching to a new carrier I always look their coverage first. Saving money is nice, but what good is that if I can't use my new phone due to service issues. Do you know how T-Mobiles service is in your area compared to what you are getting now on Verizon's network?
    This.

I've got the 4s as well and I have no need or desire to upgrade. I've been out of contract with Verizon since January. At some point in time, all of us on unlimited data plans will be forced off of them. When that happens, I'll likely upgrade then. My 4s still gets the job done and for the first time in my life with a smartphone, I'm not itching to get rid of it six months after I bought it. I'll continue to use this phone until it dies or until Verizon forces me off of my unlimited data plan.

But yeah, the coverage thing is very important to me. I live in the middle of BFE and Sprint and AT&T got horrible service at my house. Sprint got horrible service if I was outside and plugged in to a cell phone antenna. AT&T dropped off as soon as I turned off the highway and on to the road I lived off of. I do pay a significant amount of money more with Verizon than I did with Sprint, but I'll gladly pay it in order to have a working phone rather than a paperweight which is what I got with Sprint.

IMO, if you're happy with what you've got, stick it out.
    09-11-2013 10:16 AM
    This.

I've got the 4s as well and I have no need or desire to upgrade.
    I really enjoy my iPhone 4S as well. My wife has the iPhone 5 and I still prefer the smaller form factor of the 4S. The iPhone 4S has a great 8 MP camera, it's quick with all the apps I use, and it has been a very reliable phone. Now that I'm prepaid, it's hard to justify the cost of the new phone plus I don't have access to LTE. The only downside is that my battery life is slowly deteriorating. I'm looking into replacing the internal battery myself using a kit and instruction from iFixit: The free repair manual.

Brice
    09-11-2013 01:23 PM
    I appreciate the responses.

So any ideas on what to do with a Verizon 4S? I can't take it to major prepaid GSM carriers. I can haggle for a discounted plan and stay with Verizon.

What is the best course of action for keeping the 4S?
    09-12-2013 08:13 PM
    I appreciate the responses.

So any ideas on what to do with a Verizon 4S? I can't take it to major prepaid GSM carriers. I can haggle for a discounted plan and stay with Verizon.

What is the best course of action for keeping the 4S?
    Try one of the Verizon MVNOs for a prepaid plan.
    09-12-2013 08:47 PM
    Me and my girlfriend don't mind keeping our 4S iPhones, but staying with Verizon means paying the same rates as if we subsidized new phones forever.

It doesn't make sense to keep them and the plan. It feels like we're forced to upgrade if we don't want to get ripped off forever.

Moving to TMO and getting the 5S will cost about the same as staying with Verizon with the old 4S.

Thoughts?
    If you are switching to either T-Mo or AT&T, make a request to Verizon to have your i4S GSM unlocked. Once unlocked, jailbreak and disable the CDMA Antenna. This way, your Verizon iPhone will default to GSM antenna/signal, enabling you to keep the same phone, and not having to buy a new one.

My 64GB i4S is of Verizon working on T-Mobile network along with 3G. If you'd like to try this, do not upgrade to iOS 7 so to maintain the ability to jailbreak.

I'll provide you instructions if it's not found on google. I saved myself at least $300

Posted via CB10
    09-12-2013 11:43 PM

Thoughts?
    Coverage and Coverage area wide range to me is the most important, If you are a good and long standing customer with your carrier, You should be able to work out something with your carrier to keep you there. TMO is not what it is up to when you are spending full retail for a phone when you can stay with VZW and use your upgrade for far less but you don't know until you talk to them.

I have done it to many times and right now i have the lowest plan possible that I worked out with them not to mention an 18% discount being affiliated with a corporation that VZW gives this discount to if i am an affiliate employee so there are many ways to stay. Bottom line, You don't know until you call and ask.
    09-14-2013 09:47 PM
    Stay with Verizon. Get a 5s -- in gold. Do not buy a case.
    09-15-2013 12:03 AM

Thoughts?
    Something else to consider is the 4S on Verizon is a 3G phone and its Verizon's 3G which is awful! Going to a 5 will allow you to use their LTE which is great!
    09-15-2013 01:23 PM
    Keep Verizon and get the 5s. You get the latest phone and keep the best coverage.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-15-2013 10:54 PM
    Keep Verizon and get the 5s. You get the latest phone and keep the best coverage.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    That's what I would do.

Good Luck
    09-16-2013 09:55 PM