Wifi switch greyed out on iOS 6.1.3

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S which is currently running iOS 6.1.3. Last night I connected to my home wifi network and it connected but disconnected after 5 mins. I tried to connect again but it kept searching and no network was shown. I checked my iPad and laptop and they were connecting fine. I factory restored my iPhone from settings and set it up again as new iPhone.

I went into the settings and then wifi and I was shocked to see the wifi ON/OFF switched greyed out. I can't turn it on or off now. Can somebody please help me what to do?
I googled and many people were having the same problem and I saw a video about putting your iPhone in a freezer for about 30 mins and it will start working again. So I did that. After 10 mins I took my iphone out of the freezer and the wifi started working perfectly. Now It's been 5 hours since then and my wifi is working fine till now.. Can somebody tell me what type of sorcery is that? :concern:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea, but I *assume* that the freezer recommendation is in regard to an overheating issue of some sort.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S which is currently running iOS 6.1.3. Last night I connected to my home wifi network and it connected but disconnected after 5 mins. I tried to connect again but it kept searching and no network was shown. I checked my iPad and laptop and they were connecting fine. I factory restored my iPhone from settings and set it up again as new iPhone.

I went into the settings and then wifi and I was shocked to see the wifi ON/OFF switched greyed out. I can't turn it on or off now. Can somebody please help me what to do?
I googled and many people were having the same problem and I saw a video about putting your iPhone in a freezer for about 30 mins and it will start working again. So I did that. After 10 mins I took my iphone out of the freezer and the wifi started working perfectly. Now It's been 5 hours since then and my wifi is working fine till now.. Can somebody tell me what type of sorcery is that? :concern:

Not sure what?s going on here... as D suggested, it could be an overheating issue... but putting electronics in a freezer (or refrigerator) is NOT a good idea. The temperature extremes can cause condensation to form, and then you basically have water INSIDE you device which can cause circuitry to short out and fry the components. It will also cause the moisture sensors to trip, which then tells Apple (or authorized service entities) that the device was exposed to moisture - which will void your warranty.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what going on with your wifi. Maybe it is an overheating issue. But putting your phone in a freezer doesn't sound like a good idea.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what’s going on here... as D suggested, it could be an overheating issue... but putting electronics in a freezer (or refrigerator) is NOT a good idea. The temperature extremes can cause condensation to form, and then you basically have water INSIDE you device which can cause circuitry to short out and fry the components. It will also cause the moisture sensors to trip, which then tells Apple (or authorized service entities) that the device was exposed to moisture - which will void your warranty.

I don't know.. everything seems to work perfectly and I had put my iPhone into the freezer last night. Now its almost a day and my wifi is working perfectly. If it was an heating issue then wifi should had stopped working by now, then.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know.. everything seems to work perfectly and I had put my iPhone into the freezer last night. Now its almost a day and my wifi is working perfectly. If it was an heating issue then wifi should had stopped working by now, then.

Hey, it’s your money and your device... so it’s ultimately your choice... all I am saying is that I don’t think it’s a good idea - and I would NEVER consider putting my electronics in a freezer for any reason at any time.

I’m glad that it worked out for you...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If it was out of warranty then sure why not try .. But if not I would have taken it to apple

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey, it’s your money and your device... so it’s ultimately your choice... all I am saying is that I don’t think it’s a good idea - and I would NEVER consider putting my electronics in a freezer for any reason at any time.

I’m glad that it worked out for you...

Well, I never tried that freezer stunt again and my wifi didn't stopped working (Thankfully). I wish someone would explain the logic behind this.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
If it was out of warranty then sure why not try .. But if not I would have taken it to apple

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

I'm from Pakistan and there is no apple store here so yeah, warranty does not matters to me. :)

horne527

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Apple replaced mine for the same thing, it happened straight after I had updated to 6.1.3, they tried to tell me it was a hardware fault at first which I refused to accept. I so wish I had never updated because even with the new one since 6.1.3 the battery life is pathetic

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so if you are saying now that everything is back to normal and your WI-FI is back to working normal, Is there another issue? If you are happy that it is working be happy with that but I would not go with the freezer idea again just in case for the reasons Fausty Mentioned. I might not happen but the potential is there that it could.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok so if you are saying now that everything is back to normal and your WI-FI is back to working normal, Is there another issue? If you are happy that it is working be happy with that but I would not go with the freezer idea again just in case for the reasons Fausty Mentioned. I might not happen but the potential is there that it could.

There seems to be no other issue right now and its been two days since the freezer stunt and even now my wifi is working perfectly. I noticed my phone getting a bit hot on using wifi from Top back. Is it normal? Or maybe I'm looking too hardly for any problems.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You are looking too hard for problems. The more I use mine over WI-FI at times it might get a bit warmer but nothing I am going to fuss over. Leave it alone.:)

rodluizpant

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
This happened with my brand new 4S when I updated it to 6.1.3... I went to an Apple Store and they tried restoring it but it didn't work. After trying again, they exchanged mine for a new one. It's working normally now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73