I have an iPhone 4S.. want to switch! can't decide!

FitMomXtine

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay! Hi everyone..

So.. I came from an iPhone 4S.. I do love that phone to pieces.. but I honestly really just got bored of it I guess.

Everything else I own is apple (Like I have an iMac for school and that I use to edit videos for fitness and beauty vids) I have an iPad that I also have for school to and an older MacBook Pro..

so as you can see I've been a fan of apple products.

But the phone since I spend most of my time on it (I really just use it to browse web, take pictures and edit them, social media like instagram, twitter, facebook etc, e-mail and of course games for myself and my kiddos)... I found myself really drawn to the Note 2.. so I got it.. but before my 2 weeks were up, I felt like something just wasn't right.. maybe I felt like I cheated on my iPhone (my whole family has iPhones and friends, so you know they chewed my **** out for switching.. but my brother has the maxx hd and supported me lol)

I did like the Note 2, and all of it's functions. I loved how easily you could customize it without having to root it (not like my iPhone you have to jailbreak it etc).. But I did find myself missing features from the iPhone.. Like the quick camera grabber feature, the search feature ON the phone itself (not google), and of course emoji's (my family and friends love to converse with me with emoji's lol) and the camera was amazing but didn't quite have the nifty features as the Note 2 (but I feel the quality of the Note 2 wasn't really that great - pictures looked grainy when I uploaded them.. or pixelated)

So now I'm back on my iPhone 4S.. and I'm really, really, really missing the Note 2.. but the other reason why I returned it was because of the size. I liked how big the size of the screen is, but because i use my iPhone to play my music at the gym (and stuck it in my pocket) I really couldn't do that with the Note 2 and found myself bringing my iPhone still to the gym just for music and leave my Note 2 at home.. People have recommended to me get an iPod touch.. well to me that beats the whole purpose of having the note and I just might as well use my iPhone right?

I'm a tiny person at 5'0 so yes it's hard to stick in my pocket when I'm wearing tiny clothes lol.. and I looooved the features of the S-Pen .. and I find myself wanting to go back to the Note 2.. but i'm not sure if i'll get discouraged again because of the size..

When I went back to the AT&T Store to return the Note 2, the sales rep recommended I go with the Samsung Galaxy S3 even though the S4 will be out the end of this month.. he said it was basically the same thing and even with the 13mp camera you couldn't tell much of a difference unless you were blowing up the pictures to poster size.. and camera quality is important to me.. but I was reading some posts on here that the S4 will just be faster, quicker and better (and who wouldn't want that?!)

He also recommended the HTC One - which I don't know anything about (I at least like to read up on the phones before I try it out)

I'm also debating about just waiting until the iPhone 5s comes out (or whatever they decide to name it).. but I'm just worried it'll be the same thing (I've read blogs where the screen size will be bigger and other blogs where it will not).. but at the same time I really like iMessage/Facetime features.. but whatever I can skype right.. lol

So I need input.. I need the phone for web browsing, social media (more so instagram and facebook/twitter), gaming for myself and my kids.. nothing too crazy just games to pass the time (like candy crush haha).. but I also love the customization features of these androids (yes i'm a girly girl and loooove the hello kitty themes lol) but camera does play a big role as well in my decision since I spend most of my time using the camera and video for my blogs and videos etc..

what would be a good phone for me? All i've ever known was the iPhone.. had a taste of the Note 2 and want to go back kinda.. but the size is why i liked it and why I didn't like it :confused:

and thanks for reading if you've kept up till now :-[ appreciate any input!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay! Hi everyone..

So.. I came from an iPhone 4S.. I do love that phone to pieces.. but I honestly really just got bored of it I guess.

Everything else I own is apple (Like I have an iMac for school and that I use to edit videos for fitness and beauty vids) I have an iPad that I also have for school to and an older MacBook Pro..

so as you can see I've been a fan of apple products.

But the phone since I spend most of my time on it (I really just use it to browse web, take pictures and edit them, social media like instagram, twitter, facebook etc, e-mail and of course games for myself and my kiddos)... I found myself really drawn to the Note 2.. so I got it.. but before my 2 weeks were up, I felt like something just wasn't right.. maybe I felt like I cheated on my iPhone (my whole family has iPhones and friends, so you know they chewed my **** out for switching.. but my brother has the maxx hd and supported me lol)

I did like the Note 2, and all of it's functions. I loved how easily you could customize it without having to root it (not like my iPhone you have to jailbreak it etc).. But I did find myself missing features from the iPhone.. Like the quick camera grabber feature, the search feature ON the phone itself (not google), and of course emoji's (my family and friends love to converse with me with emoji's lol) and the camera was amazing but didn't quite have the nifty features as the Note 2 (but I feel the quality of the Note 2 wasn't really that great - pictures looked grainy when I uploaded them.. or pixelated)

So now I'm back on my iPhone 4S.. and I'm really, really, really missing the Note 2.. but the other reason why I returned it was because of the size. I liked how big the size of the screen is, but because i use my iPhone to play my music at the gym (and stuck it in my pocket) I really couldn't do that with the Note 2 and found myself bringing my iPhone still to the gym just for music and leave my Note 2 at home.. People have recommended to me get an iPod touch.. well to me that beats the whole purpose of having the note and I just might as well use my iPhone right?

I'm a tiny person at 5'0 so yes it's hard to stick in my pocket when I'm wearing tiny clothes lol.. and I looooved the features of the S-Pen .. and I find myself wanting to go back to the Note 2.. but i'm not sure if i'll get discouraged again because of the size..

When I went back to the AT&T Store to return the Note 2, the sales rep recommended I go with the Samsung Galaxy S3 even though the S4 will be out the end of this month.. he said it was basically the same thing and even with the 13mp camera you couldn't tell much of a difference unless you were blowing up the pictures to poster size.. and camera quality is important to me.. but I was reading some posts on here that the S4 will just be faster, quicker and better (and who wouldn't want that?!)

He also recommended the HTC One - which I don't know anything about (I at least like to read up on the phones before I try it out)

I'm also debating about just waiting until the iPhone 5s comes out (or whatever they decide to name it).. but I'm just worried it'll be the same thing (I've read blogs where the screen size will be bigger and other blogs where it will not).. but at the same time I really like iMessage/Facetime features.. but whatever I can skype right.. lol

So I need input.. I need the phone for web browsing, social media (more so instagram and facebook/twitter), gaming for myself and my kids.. nothing too crazy just games to pass the time (like candy crush haha).. but I also love the customization features of these androids (yes i'm a girly girl and loooove the hello kitty themes lol) but camera does play a big role as well in my decision since I spend most of my time using the camera and video for my blogs and videos etc..

what would be a good phone for me? All i've ever known was the iPhone.. had a taste of the Note 2 and want to go back kinda.. but the size is why i liked it and why I didn't like it :confused:

and thanks for reading if you've kept up till now :-[ appreciate any input!

I certainly appreciate you stating your case Pro and Con and the fact that you have/had an iPhone. I am going to give you a short answer.... You truly have to do what is in YOUR best interest as opposed to what I or anyone else thinks. We can give you a why on keeping and continuing with a 4S but the bottom line is you have to do as I said what is in your best interest. Whatever you decide we will be behind you. Best of luck.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
thanks will check those links out.. :) Ive never really even heard about HTC before.. so I really need to look into it..
You are welcome. You will want to look into the differences between Sense and Touchwiz because the OEM skins change the user experience. Of course, you can root the phone and customize it as you like.

I would get the HTC One if it were coming to Verizon, but Verizon likes to brand things as Droids and so far, it doesn't look like we will get the HTC One on Verizon.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I also tried the Note 2 for the trial period and that phone in my opinion was just too big. I did enjoy the screen size when I was at home or in the office, but not pulling it out of my pocket to check an email or taking a phone call. My wife would laught when I had it up to my ear because of the size.

You mentioned that you left it at home when you went to the gym. there would be no way to stuff that baby in your pocket at the gym. You have to do what works for you. I have heard people that have jumped to the i5 noticing quite a bit of difference from the 4s. But since you are so close to the release of the i5S, you may want to wait if you can.

But again, do what is best for you.

phessler

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the S4 a tad smaller? I have the S3 as my work phone and personally I don't care for the Droid way of doing things but I can see why people like it due to the larger screen.

FitMomXtine

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I also tried the Note 2 for the trial period and that phone in my opinion was just too big. I did enjoy the screen size when I was at home or in the office, but not pulling it out of my pocket to check an email or taking a phone call. My wife would laught when I had it up to my ear because of the size.

You mentioned that you left it at home when you went to the gym. there would be no way to stuff that baby in your pocket at the gym. You have to do what works for you. I have heard people that have jumped to the i5 noticing quite a bit of difference from the 4s. But since you are so close to the release of the i5S, you may want to wait if you can.

But again, do what is best for you.

At first I also didn't like how large it was when pulling it out of my purse.. or how big it was.. but now i'm really missing the big screen.. I don't make phone calls to much but when I did, I didn't have a problem (or noticed) it the size against my head (lol)..

BUt yes I did leave it home when I went to the gym, because It was too big to fit into my pockets and I didn't want to risk my locker being broken into.. etc..

I still am looking into the iPhone 5s.. but I want to see if I can look at the specs or features (if that's at all possible now).. I may just wait until the SG4 comes into the AT&T Store to play with it..

But because I barely have phone service (I'm with AT&T i'm also debating about switching service providers.. but everyone i've asked has something to say about them all, so i'm also stuck with that too..)

I know ultimately it's up to me.. but i'm just so undecided.. :confused:

FitMomXtine

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the S4 a tad smaller? I have the S3 as my work phone and personally I don't care for the Droid way of doing things but I can see why people like it due to the larger screen.

Yes it's a bit smaller.. I like the video review that I saw that someone posted of it.. I like the dual camera function.. but I'm honestly loving the S Pen feature of the Note 2.. so I have a lot to think about.. like go back to the Note 2 and suck up the size for what it is.. or go with the SG4 because it seems like a lot of fun lol.. or just wait until I can find more info on the iPhone 5s..

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Part of your frustration is Apple's secrecy. Don't trust any blogs, to include iMore, with the next iPhone specs. Until Apple announces it in one of their presentations, nobody really knows anything. It's best not to make decisions based on others' speculation.

If the size already bothered you, it's unlikely it'll suddenly stop bothering you. If you miss the size, you mentioned having the iPad. Perhaps you should play around with some of the phones mentioned here and rely on the iPad for the larger screen tasks?

The iTouch isn't a bad suggestion. You don't really NEED a phone at the gym. You're looking to work out anyway. Realistically, you could settle on a less expensive music solution. You said you're back on the 4s. Did you turn it in and get another or was it the original? If it's the original, it makes a fitting music player and via WiFi it'll maintain the iMessage and Facetime features you want.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
You don't really NEED a phone at the gym. You're looking to work out anyway.
When you are the primary caregiver of young children, you always NEED a phone so that when they are out of your care, whoever is caring for them while they are out of your care can get in touch with you should there be an emergency. I don't know if OP is or is not the primary caregiver of young children, but if she is, I am sure she feels the same way I do.

As children get older, you can relax a bit, but for most of us, when they are young we don't feel we can be without our phones.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When you are the primary caregiver of young children, you always NEED a phone so that when they are out of your care, whoever is caring for them while they are out of your care can get in touch with you should there be an emergency. I don't know if OP is or is not the primary caregiver of young children, but if she is, I am sure she feels the same way I do.

As children get older, you can relax a bit, but for most of us, when they are young we don't feel we can be without our phones.
She's already leaving the phone home.

Generations went on just fine without cell phones. I'm sure they'd be willing to tell you it's not a need.

FitMomXtine

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Here is where I Stand.. at this point, the HTC One is out of the question. I don't know enough about it and the history of it (and on posts on the android forums here the camera isn't that great - which I mentioned is a big factor for me in choosing the phone)

I do have small children (three to be exact) and of course it's important to have a phone, but I was with my husband those times and he has his iPhone he uses for his music (like myself)..so luckily there were no emergencies but I do agree it's important for me to have a phone.. that's why I did also like using the Iphone as my music player.. I didn't use it to talk (i hate when people do that, because yes I am there to work out and get on with my day).

And I'm really missing the Note 2 because of the customization features I did have on it.. At first size was really an issue, but the more and more I think about it.. i'm starting to think, maybe I was being overly dramatic about the size - I don't know.. But I really like the S-Pen features and being able to draw on my pictures and also taking notes was much faster than typing it (i loved the "Swype keyboard on the Note 2)

And I did not buy a new iPhone 4S when I returned the Note 2.. I just had them swap back to my old iPhone 4S which I do still use since it had all my original stuff on it (I was planning on selling it after I got the Note 2 but returned it before I had the chance)

Instead of the iTouch, I was considering a nano or even a shuffle.. you're truly correct I only need it for music.. I was thinking if I didn't go and get a shuffle/nano I'd probably just stick the Note 2 in my shirt and go on with my workout that way.. I've had to do that before with my iPhone if it did fall out of my pockets when I would do Bench Press for example..

Right now.. it's either I stay with the 4S but i'm honestly just kind of sad with it (i truly can't tell you why, I just look at it and feel blah).. I'm thinking about the note 2 again and just sucking it up... i'll get used to it right?

Or the AT&T sales rep said the SG3 is a good option and it'll be just the same as the SG4.. (i don't know how true that is)..

But another thing is camera quality is important to me.. like I mentioned I have 3 kiddos and love catching those kodak moments of them, especially when they are playing nice with each other :p

I don't think anything can compare to the iPhone's camera (not that i've seen yet).. so that's also I guess what's holding me back (and possibly waiting for the iPhone 5s/6/nano/whatever it's going to be called :D)

decisions, decisions.. and also my husband's contract will be up too and we were thinking about switching to either verizon or t-mobile.. (we get dropped calls constantly on AT&T and i have like 1 bar most times at my house..).. but I get mixed reviews from friends saying AT&T and verizon are the same blah blah.. so much to think about!

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Here is where I Stand.. at this point, the HTC One is out of the question. I don't know enough about it and the history of it (and on posts on the android forums here the camera isn't that great - which I mentioned is a big factor for me in choosing the phone)
That is not really accurate as the megapixel count is not the be all and end all of what makes a camera great. But it does take a lot of researching to understand all of the intricacies of cameras and megapixels is an easy thing for consumers to look at to make a decision.

Or the AT&T sales rep said the SG3 is a good option and it'll be just the same as the SG4.. (i don't know how true that is)..
Well it is not as false as the statement that the iPhone 4S and the 5 are just the same (how can a 3G and a 4G LTE phone be just the same?) but it is still not true. ATT just wants to get rid of its GS3 stock and they aren't going to get rid of it if they tell you to wait for the GS4.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
decisions, decisions.. and also my husband's contract will be up too and we were thinking about switching to either verizon or t-mobile.. (we get dropped calls constantly on AT&T and i have like 1 bar most times at my house..).. but I get mixed reviews from friends saying AT&T and verizon are the same blah blah.. so much to think about!
I don't know where you live, but where I live ATT doesn't have 4G LTE coverage and won't for another year. Verizon has it now. 4G LTE is a huge difference between Verizon's 3G, but I can't tell you how much of a difference it is between ATT HSPA+.

Typically, Verizon's coverage is better than ATT in the US.

If you are going to switch, keep in mind that Verizon is moving their upgrade policy to every 24 months for any contracts after 4/21/13.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to switch, keep in mind that Verizon is moving their upgrade policy to every 24 months for any contracts after 4/21/13.

I was almost tempted to go in to VZW this weekend and get the i5,but after reading that article today I will try harder to wait until the i5s' specs are released from Apple.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I was almost tempted to go in to VZW this weekend and get the i5,but after reading that article today I will try harder to wait until the i5s' specs are released from Apple.
don't be surprised if ATT follows. The wireless industry in the US suffers from oligopoly pricing.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Just a tip on the SGS3 thing.

DONT let the sales rep talk you into a 3 right now, the 4 is on its way! They just want to clear inventory!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods