Strange Problem with Apple Maps and voice guided nav

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

I noticed this issue recently and was wondering if this is a known problem. I'm currently running 6.1.1 on a Verizon IP 4S. When I launch the Apple Maps app, it launches fine. I search for a POI and it gives me the results. However, when I click on the green icon to initiate the nav, it does not zoom into the full car level and show the blue arrow as it used to. Instead, it zooms to an approx radius and my supposed position is a blue dot. The top screen has 'EXIT' and 'OVERVIEW'. I restarted it and it worked fine but it does that now and then.

Any ideas what the issue is here? Anyone else experience the same thing? Did something in the update break Apple Maps?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't replicate your issue... I do have iOS 6.1.2 - you might want to update...

I'm curious if this is a bug in 6.1.1 or something local to my phone...I did not have this issue before I updated to the prior release. The audio as well was missing - this happened yesterday as well. I could see the blue dot moving and following along and the screen on the top had the green next turn sign but it did not follow the blue dot when it moved off the screen.Very strange!!

I guess I will update to 6.1.2 and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am using 6.1.1. and I have yet to have the same problem and like Keith answered I have been unable to duplicate the problem either. As JustMe'D likes to say, Sometimes a simple reboot works for a meriad of problems or upgrade like Keith did. Let us know.

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This happened again over the weekend..the navigation will not kick in..the maps launch, I key in the place I'm looking for, but when I click on the green car icon, it zooms in and then stops to right before it gets to the arrow...so it gets to a blue dot with a pulsating circle with the directions/sign view on the top of the screen...very strange! I have since updated to 6.1.2. Will report back if I encounter this again.

Any way to submit a bug report to apple about this issue from within the app itself?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...so it gets to a blue dot with a pulsating circle with the directions/sign view on the top of the screen...
That's an indication your GPS location accuracy is not locked in - Navigation needs to see a minimum number of GPS satellites at a certain signal level before it will work... and there's not much you can do other than move around to a spot where your phone can get better GPS signal.

Edit to add: There could be another issue at play here as well - if wifi is on, and the location the phone is deriving based on the wifi and the location received via GPS receiver are conflicting... it might help to turn off wifi and see if that helps things lock in.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That's an indication your GPS location accuracy is not locked in - Navigation needs to see a minimum number of GPS satellites at a certain signal level before it will work... and there's not much you can do other than move around to a spot where your phone can get better GPS signal.

Keith makes a very good point and your phone needs at least 3 satellites in order to work right, Hence forth the term "Triangulation" or "Triangulate" however you want to say it.

So you should do as he suggests and move around until you get locked in. Once you are you should not have any further problems.

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Keith makes a very good point and your phone needs at least 3 satellites in order to work right, Hence forth the term "Triangulation" or "Triangulate" however you want to say it.

So you should do as he suggests and move around until you get locked in. Once you are you should not have any further problems.

Ah, hmmm....good point! It slipped my mind to think that I did not have a good fix because I then fire up VZ Nav or Google Maps and get an instant fix and am on my way. Never crossed my mind that Apple Maps was not getting a good fix. Is that possible though? That other GPS apps get a good enough fix while the Apple Maps can't?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ah, hmmm....good point! It slipped my mind to think that I did not have a good fix because I then fire up VZ Nav or Google Maps and get an instant fix and am on my way. Never crossed my mind that Apple Maps was not getting a good fix. Is that possible though? That other GPS apps get a good enough fix while the Apple Maps can't?

Its quite possible that the time it took you to get out of Apple's app and fire up another app that a good fix is/was achieved...

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Once again not to beat a dead horse but Keith once again could be right. You did not say but did you do as Keith suggested with Apple Maps? All of my Mapping programs work including Apple maps as they are suppose to.
Its quite possible that the time it took you to get out of Apple's app and fire up another app that a good fix is/was achieved...
Keith I think you could be right especially if he did not have the minimum 3 satellites needed. Also if in doubt use your "compass" in the utilities folder, Stand in a location that is away from bldgs and see what reading s you get as you move around and check it's accuracy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice