hi, i am a iphone newbie just got a 4s and would like to know when i delete apps and other files should i do a hard reset or soft reset if not when would you consider the time for doing them .. thanks in advance
    02-08-2013 01:04 PM
    hi, i am a iphone newbie just got a 4s and would like to know when i delete apps and other files should i do a hard reset or soft reset if not when would you consider the time for doing them .. thanks in advance
    I always do a hard reset meaning that I hold down the home and power button until I see the apple logo come on and then let go. That should clean up any remnants of an old or deleted app. I only do it if I delete apps or delete old files or anything else that I want to make sure get cleaned up. Good luck.
    02-08-2013 03:39 PM
    No need to do resets like BB when you delete a app.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    02-08-2013 04:01 PM
    02-08-2013 08:43 PM
    By the way, what the heck is a soft reset on iOS? I've never heard that term when referring to iOS.
    02-08-2013 10:11 PM
    A hard reset is a factory reset and a soft reset either holding down the power button and home button or the standard power button. Simply you do not need to do either.
    02-08-2013 10:15 PM
    Who said we need to reset after deleting apps on iOS? Never heard of such a thing.
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    02-08-2013 10:55 PM
    No need to do resets like BB when you delete a app.
    That is just my personal preference Garz for apps. Does not mean anyone has to reboot as i just do it to make sure everything is gone.
    By the way, what the heck is a soft reset on iOS? I've never heard that term when referring to iOS.
    I think the term "Soft Reset" just means from what I read on Apples forums is to simply power off your phone and back on as opposed to the hard reset of holding down the home and power button.
    02-10-2013 03:26 PM
    Who said we need to reset after deleting apps on iOS? Never heard of such a thing.
    Nobody said it as I explained to Garz above. It my my "OWN" personal preference to do so and nothing more than that just to clarify things ok?
    02-10-2013 03:28 PM
    Hey Jaguarr40 I do the same thing. Just makes me feel better about deleting apps.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    02-10-2013 04:15 PM
    I recommend a "hard reset" once a week to keep things running smoothly. First, close all the apps in the app switcher. Then do the "hard reset" by holding the home and lock buttons simultaneously until the apple logo pops up.

I have found that this keeps everything running smooth and quick as possible. I do it every 4-5 days and I've never had any issues.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    02-10-2013 04:21 PM
    I recommend a "hard reset" once a week to keep things running smoothly. First, close all the apps in the app switcher. Then do the "hard reset" by holding the home and lock buttons simultaneously until the apple logo pops up.

I have found that this keeps everything running smooth and quick as possible. I do it every 4-5 days and I've never had any issues.
    I think that we share the same thoughts and that is why I do it as previously stated. I only Hard reset (Reboot) maybe once a month because i rarely change much except for an occasional app that I might Dl and then not like and delete. I do this the same way at least 3-4 times a month I let my battery go dead until the phone shuts off to cycle and keep my battery refreshed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    02-10-2013 05:10 PM
    Nobody said it as I explained to Garz above. It my my "OWN" personal preference to do so and nothing more than that just to clarify things ok?
    Ok, no need to get sensitive or "EMPHASIZE" anything. I meant no offense I was just asking, geez! sorry I asked!

Sent from my iP5 from a warm place using Tapatalk
    02-10-2013 07:37 PM
    Yeah. Soft reset is just a power cycle using the lock button.

Hard reset is using the lock and home button together.

Both will cycle some settings, but the hard reset cycles everything and refreshes the memory cache. The soft reset just cycles the power and the networks.
    02-10-2013 07:48 PM
    I don't think you have to do a reset to delete apps.
    02-10-2013 07:54 PM
    You don't. The phone will reboot itself when it really needs to... some people like to do it once in a while because they can, and it makes them feel good... me? I'll reboot when the phone acts squirrelly... and it makes the squirrel go away.
    02-10-2013 08:04 PM
    Ok, no need to get sensitive or "EMPHASIZE" anything. I meant no offense I was just asking, geez! sorry I asked!

Sent from my iP5 from a warm place using Tapatalk
    Sorry myself that you took everything I said out of context because I have been around here long enough that people know me and know how I mean things. Of course you are not one of them but I meant no offense emphasizing anything or not.

It does not hurt to ask but get over it and don't be so thin skinned yourself.
    02-10-2013 08:35 PM
    For the last time just for clarification.... You do not have to do a hard reset when you delete apps. It is strictly up to the inviduals peace of mind and how he/she wants to do it. This has been said several times prior to your post. Thank you for posting though.
    02-10-2013 08:40 PM
    You don't. The phone will reboot itself when it really needs to... some people like to do it once in a while because they can, and it makes them feel good... me? I'll reboot when the phone acts squirrelly... and it makes the squirrel go away.
    Thank you kch, That was the message I have been trying to say, it is ones preference and what makes them feel good. It is not mandatory this be done.
    02-10-2013 08:41 PM
    I think the term "Soft Reset" just means from what I read on Apples forums is to simply power off your phone and back on as opposed to the hard reset of holding down the home and power button.
    Gotcha. I just haven't heard that term since BB.
    02-11-2013 12:45 AM
    Gotcha. I just haven't heard that term since BB.
    You and I go back to BB together and I had not heard that either but then again now we are talking about a new OS that is far superior with different wording that I have gotten to know new wording fast as i am sure you have.

Well at least we got hat straightened out my friend.
    02-11-2013 01:55 PM

I've never 'rebooted' my 4S after deleting an app...that would bring back too many bb flashbacks LOL

Last year for hmmmm....maybe 2-3 mths in a row, I would reboot once monthly. Just because. After a while, I would forget to do it on my scheduled day (the 10th of each mth) & ignore my calendar alert. Before I knew it, months had gone by without a 'reboot'. your gonna laugh, but in November, when I finally decided to upgrade to iOS6, after the install was finished & iCloud loaded back up etc. I rebooted my 4S (old bb habit flashback againLOL) That was the last time I've actually done a reboot on my 4S, and, it wasn't even necessary LOL. I literally just did it out of a (very old) habit.

Keith, as you mentioned, I'll only reboot my phone to chase those gosh darn furry varmints outta the device if necessary But, I can say, that maybe every 2-3 weeks, I'll do a 'soft reset' AKA power on/off just to refresh the network etc.
    Jaguarr40 and bradenfontaine like this.
    02-11-2013 06:03 PM