Data Plan: 5GB with Hotspot vs Unlimited with Tether.com

mnl

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
hi. I am on AT&T with a stock 4S. I am grandfathered in with an unlimited data plan and, naturally, I am very reluctant to give that up. my data usage is well under 5 GB so the current plan they offer would work for me but I am asking for some help deciding if I should go with the 5gb/ hotspot solution from AT&T or use tether.com and my unlimited plan to connect my computer to my phone. I was a big user of tether when I had a blackberry and haven't used it in years so I am unsure of how to proceed.

any ideas? thanks!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Grandfathered unlimited plan. I went the route of getting a MiFi through Verizon. My thought being if AT&T data has issues at least I have another alternative. Plus the hotspot lets me connect 10 devices on LTE.

mnl

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Grandfathered unlimited plan. I went the route of getting a MiFi through Verizon. My thought being if AT&T data has issues at least I have another alternative. Plus the hotspot lets me connect 10 devices on LTE.

hey. thanks for that idea. i'm going on a cruise ship in a week and I'm trying to broaden my options so i can be connected if clients need me. does the vzw MiFi work internationally too?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yep it does. Just make sure you get one of the new models that support international data.

korp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If I am not mistaken, wasn't there a big issue with AT&T detecting you using your phone as a hotspot without the plan? If I recall right, they threatened to remove your unlimited data and sent you a text message saying this.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Shared data also gives you hotspot. My bill is cheaper than the days when I had the so called "unlimited".