hacking my texts?

susiep

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have received a 'questionable' text on my iphone 4s which appeared on screen with the standard feint line above it denoting it was sent (or received?) as a message not an iMessage. Then a subsequent text from the same person had a line above it denoting it was sent as a standard iMessage. It appeared in the normal thread of texts from a particular friend. The friend agreed they sent the later iMessage after I had queried the first text, but absolutely denies sending the text that appeared as a message not an iMessage.

My questions are: how likely is it that someone other than my friend could have hacked into my friend's or my phone to send the text so that it appears to have come from him, or was it really from him; if an incoming text appears as a message not an iMessage does it denote the situation with the sender or with the recipient; and if a text is sent verbally via Siri, would it appear on the recipient's screen as an iMessage or a message i.e. could this questionable text denoted as a message, have been a Siri-directed text?

The implications of this are really important to me and i would appreciate a response from someone more technically able than I. Many thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The text showing up as a standard SMS instead of an iMessage means that one of you did not have data at some point. No telling which one - so there is no way to lay blame.

As for hacking into your phones...are either of you that important? I don't say that to be snide, just that it's not a parlor trick, so someone would have to really want to do it.

susiep

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.
No neither of us is that important but when confronted with an absolute denial that the text had been sent by the other person ("I'm totally baffled"!!!) - and in honesty, the content of the text looks like it should have definitely been sent to someone else and not me - I didn't have sufficient tech know-how to counter the assertion! I'm aware of the blue/green differentiation with messages sent, but didn't know that they appeared differently when received.
Could you clarify if a text sent by Siri would be identifiable from a typed text, on the recipient's screen?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.
No neither of us is that important but when confronted with an absolute denial that the text had been sent by the other person ("I'm totally baffled"!!!) - and in honesty, the content of the text looks like it should have definitely been sent to someone else and not me - I didn't have sufficient tech know-how to counter the assertion! I'm aware of the blue/green differentiation with messages sent, but didn't know that they appeared differently when received.
Could you clarify if a text sent by Siri would be identifiable from a typed text, on the recipient's screen?

If I had to guess, I'd say your friend sent YOU a text that was intended for someone else, and they are now embarrassed by the mistake (I'm guessing it was something racy or rude?) so they are claiming they didn't send it.

susiep

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Spot on Massie, but the implications are far worse than had it been simply racy or rude - i wouldn't bat an eyelid about that lol!

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it could be within the realm of possibility if someone was able to gain physical access to the phone, remove the SIM card, use it in their phone, and then put it back. Could explain the "SMS" versus "iMessage" thing. But it's just a possibility. (And if it was on Verizon, I don't know if the SIM card would matter since (I believe) that SIM is only for LTE data (and voice/txt is still handled on the CDMA network). I'm not very sure about that, though.)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You can spoof messages on an iPhone. (i.e. send a message from your phone but make it appear as if it cane from another phone)
Making it a possibility.
However it is far from likely.

Nimravus

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I spoof text messages for fun all the time. I can specify a phone number to and from and send a text. So I can send you a text from your girlfriends number for instance. So fun, its why I jailbreak. Haha.
So a text from someone may not be from that person.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2