Considering a used iPhone - has "Device replaced" status

sumeshpremraj

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I found a used 4S for cheap. Plugged in serial number on Apple Self Service and it showed that the "device has been replaced". Entered IMEI no and it shows as not blocked/stolen.

The phone is in use, running iOS 5.01 and baseband 04.08.11. Haven't had a chance to personally inspect the phone yet. If it helps, I plan to jailbreak the phone after I get it anyway ? can't live without SMS+, notification toggles etc.

I talked to the seller about its suspicious status and he acted innocent ? said it was a gift from his sister in USA (I'm from India). I don't buy that excuse, but it isn't a stolen phone either (or at least not blocked yet).

My question is, is the phone a ticking time bomb and possibly blocked in future? Should I meet the seller and inspect? Or not bother at all (if there is any risk involved).

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so what are the consequences? Right now I'm rather worried about its status, so I'm veering towards not buying it. But if there is any reasoning to think otherwise, I'd like to know.

Possibly stolen or reported lost. It could have also been a Verizon branded phone that is trying to be sold on an AT&T network or something similar.

Personally, I'd walk away. It's not worth it to wind up with an expensive Apple branded paperweight.

sumeshpremraj

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Possibly stolen or reported lost. It could have also been a Verizon branded phone that is trying to be sold on an AT&T network or something similar.

Personally, I'd walk away. It's not worth it to wind up with an expensive Apple branded paperweight.

If you already think it's unsafe.. Why do it.... There are other places to buy used devices.

The price is really good. Either it's a reported lost device, or the seller is being honest and he wants to get some cash for a gift he doesn't want to use. It's not reported stolen, but there's always a chance it might be in future. That's what worries me.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
If the price is "to Good" then that is one red flag.

Second pay with a credit card, etc so you can have buyer protection. But still If it's not a trusted source I would pass.

sumeshpremraj

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If the price is "to Good" then that is one red flag.

Second pay with a credit card, etc so you can have buyer protection. But still If it's not a trusted source I would pass.

What he said. Credit card or no credit card, I wouldn't risk it but that's just me.

When I say price is good, I mean it in the context of my market (iPhones are really expensive here, $850 for an unlocked iPhone 5 and $ 700 for new 4S even now).

The phone is a '11 Dec model, so what happens if I take it for repair? Will Apple deny service because its status is "replaced" (even if I pay for said repair)?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Why not contact Apple customer service and ask what that status means? None of us really know the answer.

halojereme

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
There are other places to buy used devices.
12a3.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice