6.0.1 and the 4s

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This what your looking for? Fraser Speirs - Blog - Misconceptions About iOS?Multitasking

Very well explained and thought out.. Though most users over look this, or do not even care to do anything.

Thank you john, That was the exact article I was referring too and glad you posted it. I tend to side with him on this point but I also see where D is going with this is asll as I think he is saying and I am not speaking for him just a visual and habit type thing that he wants his fast app switcher clean when not using an app... Dormant or not.

Speirs makes excellent points and they are all true but I suppose it is an individuals thing more than anything else. I myself have this OCD about removing them although i know after reading the article that you don't have to worry about it.

Pink gets rid of hers at the end of the night, You I don't know and D and I pretty much as we are done with the apps. I will let 3-4 build up, Then clear them.

I beleive either way it is an individuals choice on how he wants to control his or her own phone that works best fore them.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If those app are merely a list of recently used apps and are technically dormant, what's the harm in removing them from the list?

D'
As I stated below your reply to John I agree with you but I am glad John found the article because I just wanted everyone to read "THIS" specific one by this fella. There is nothing wrong with your statement and you see how I answered it agreeing with you but as they say... Just food for thought my friend and nothing else.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't take John's post as a bad thing. I was seeking clarification on why closing out dormant app "shouldn't be part of your daily routine". I wanted to know if there was a known underlying negative consequence for doing so. That's all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D'
As I stated below your reply to John I agree with you but I am glad John found the article because I just wanted everyone to read "THIS" specific one by this fella. There is nothing wrong with your statement and you see how I answered it agreeing with you but as they say... Just food for thought my friend and nothing else.

No problem, Jag. I understand...:D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This what your looking for? Fraser Speirs - Blog - Misconceptions About iOS?Multitasking

Very well explained and thought out.. Though most users over look this, or do not even care to do anything.

killing apps manually is fine as a troubleshooting step but it shouldn't be part of your daily routine.

thanks for that article John. It was also one that i've read in the recent past year. unfortunately, prior to learning about the whole "closing out the multi tray" thing, i was already in the habit of closing out my apps on my iPad 1st gen, and then on my 4S back from Nov.2011. Like D & Jags have stated that they do this several times a day, i used to be that OCD about it. I've managed to turn the notch down on that and just close out right at the end of the day/night. So with it just being such a habit now, i'm not so sure i'd be able to break this one completely even tho i was able to tone it down:)

In the long run, really its not doing any harm, except perhaps wasting a few moments of my time to close out. But, i prefer to manage my phone that way and i do see your point, as well as in all the articles i've read about it that its not a necessary step because iOS handles it all for you:) But old habits are hard to break:p LOL

maybe.....just MAYBE one of these days i'll let it go for a couple of days at a time!!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. More of a maintenance side of things. But a lot has been posted not just on the forums here, but in a lot of places where people think by removing icon there device battery should get better, but in reality it doesn't something else is causing the issue.

Again it's good to shed some light on how and what the device is doing and why.

Same here, my friend. I close out any app I'm not using and I do it throughout the entire day. It's a habit left over from my Android days, I suppose.

Pink,
Closing them out once a day makes too much sense.
I'm doing it all day long. (OCD). :D
I clear my wife's iPad each night ((she usually falls asleep on the couch. But once she returns from a multiple day biz trip, Yikes :). The dock is full.
Good Luck

In response to Turbo and Jags regarding the apps in the tray. Yes, Jags you are correct on this-there were quite a few articles floating around stating that the closing out of apps in the lower tray doesn't do anything. Even if you left them open it would not affect your battery or the phones performance. BUT, now the point Turbo has stated about his wife's iPad where it freezes and then a close out of the apps in the tray frees things up. I have to say sometimes my iPad 1st gen gets a bit sluggish(not freezing), and I need to do this too.

I have a conflicting opinion on this LOL. I have to say for the most part it doesn't affect your battery if you leave things in the tray, but then there are some apps that run in the background that even tho they are "dormant" in that lower tray I still believe it impacts the battery. On a daily basis at the end of the day before my head hits the pillow, I go in and close out the apps I've used through the course of my day, leaving in there only the settings, phone and message apps. Now, whether I'm wasting my time, a whole perhaps 30 seconds of my day in doing this, with it not making any difference at all? Who knows. But for my piece of mind and the way I like to manage my phone I do it. Each one of us is different and of course will have a different opinion on it too. I say just do what your comfortable with and what works well for you:)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't take John's post as a bad thing. I was seeking clarification on why closing out dormant app "shouldn't be part of your daily routine". I wanted to know if there was a known underlying negative consequence for doing so. That's all.

I also knew what you meant so no need to explain but nonetheless I know what you were seeking...:D

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
thanks for that article John. It was also one that i've read in the recent past year. unfortunately, prior to learning about the whole "closing out the multi tray" thing, i was already in the habit of closing out my apps on my iPad 1st gen, and then on my 4S back from Nov.2011. Like D & Jags have stated that they do this several times a day, i used to be that OCD about it. I've managed to turn the notch down on that and just close out right at the end of the day/night. So with it just being such a habit now, i'm not so sure i'd be able to break this one completely even tho i was able to tone it down:)

In the long run, really its not doing any harm, except perhaps wasting a few moments of my time to close out. But, i prefer to manage my phone that way and i do see your point, as well as in all the articles i've read about it that its not a necessary step because iOS handles it all for you:) But old habits are hard to break:p LOL

maybe.....just MAYBE one of these days i'll let it go for a couple of days at a time!!

This will never happen:

maybe.....just MAYBE one of these days i'll let it go for a couple of days at a time!! HA! ....:p

PS My OCD is like yours but like I told you last night, That is why I take Xanax everyday to just calm me down and those ugly IOS habits.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
sounds like a challenge to me:p

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!

A challenge huh?? :p Bring it on Pink, Like what might you be thinking of as a fair challenge to really check your OCD. Remember you were going to turn off Fetch. Did you do that yet??? hmmm!!

Get back to me when you think of something. Have a great evening with the family.

d.scythe

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
did IOS 6.0.1 have settings to lock apps on iphone??
like iprotect tweaks from cydia...

any info please?
i've been consider to upgrade to IOS 6.0.1 from my 5.1.1 JB IOS...
but I still need the iprotect tweaks... and I know that there still no untethered JB on 4s IOS 6.0.1
please help me...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox