6.0.1 and the 4s

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
In response to Turbo and Jags regarding the apps in the tray. Yes, Jags you are correct on this-there were quite a few articles floating around stating that the closing out of apps in the lower tray doesn't do anything. Even if you left them open it would not affect your battery or the phones performance. BUT, now the point Turbo has stated about his wife's iPad where it freezes and then a close out of the apps in the tray frees things up. I have to say sometimes my iPad 1st gen gets a bit sluggish(not freezing), and I need to do this too.

I have a conflicting opinion on this LOL. I have to say for the most part it doesn't affect your battery if you leave things in the tray, but then there are some apps that run in the background that even tho they are "dormant" in that lower tray I still believe it impacts the battery. On a daily basis at the end of the day before my head hits the pillow, I go in and close out the apps I've used through the course of my day, leaving in there only the settings, phone and message apps. Now, whether I'm wasting my time, a whole perhaps 30 seconds of my day in doing this, with it not making any difference at all? Who knows. But for my piece of mind and the way I like to manage my phone I do it. Each one of us is different and of course will have a different opinion on it too. I say just do what your comfortable with and what works well for you:)

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
On a daily basis at the end of the day before my head hits the pillow, I go in and close out the apps I've used through the course of my day, leaving in there only the settings, phone and message apps.

Pink,
Closing them out once a day makes too much sense.
I'm doing it all day long. (OCD). :D
I clear my wife's iPad each night ((she usually falls asleep on the couch. But once she returns from a multiple day biz trip, Yikes :). The dock is full.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Pink,
I clear my wife's iPad each night ((she usually falls asleep on the couch. But once she returns from a multiple day biz trip, Yikes :). The dock is full.
Good Luck

Same here, my friend. I close out any app I'm not using and I do it throughout the entire day. It's a habit left over from my Android days, I suppose.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Same here, my friend. I close out any app I'm not using and I do it throughout the entire day. It's a habit left over from my Android days, I suppose.

D
I wish I could find the article on here originally posted where this guy explains all about the closing of apps and the dock and why there is no need to do it because of the 10 min. limit sleep mode so to speak just like a computer going into hybernate mode. Now having said that I am as guilty as you as if I have used 3-4 apps in a short time or as i mentioned where during lunch I might read 4-5 news apps and listen to CBS radio news etc, When I am done I turn off WIFI and close all the apps from my dock. Just a habit. I should be more like Pink as she does it but I can't. Old habits are hard to break my friend. Now back to the SEC Championship game...LOL :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D
I wish I could find the article on here originally posted where this guy explains all about the closing of apps and the dock and why there is no need to do it because of the 10 min. limit sleep mode so to speak just like a computer going into hybernate mode. Now having said that I am as guilty as you as if I have used 3-4 apps in a short time or as i mentioned where during lunch I might read 4-5 news apps and listen to CBS radio news etc, When I am done I turn off WIFI and close all the apps from my dock. Just a habit. I should be more like Pink as she does it but I can't. Old habits are hard to break my friend. Now back to the SEC Championship game...LOL :D

I'm familiar with the articles regarding the app tray and app switching, but I still like doing it and doing so has served me well, at least it has in my opinion. As for the game, It is a good one, isn't it. I'm a little ticked that the 'Bama player wasn't flagged for roughing the passer before half time especially being that a referee was clearly visible a few feet away and walking toward the incident. smh. Still, it's a heckuva game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far...:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink,
Good Luck

D
I wish I could find the article on here originally posted where this guy explains all about the closing of apps and the dock and why there is no need to do it because of the 10 min. limit sleep mode so to speak just like a computer going into hybernate mode. Now having said that I am as guilty as you as if I have used 3-4 apps in a short time or as i mentioned where during lunch I might read 4-5 news apps and listen to CBS radio news etc, When I am done I turn off WIFI and close all the apps from my dock. Just a habit. I should be more like Pink as she does it but I can't. Old habits are hard to break my friend.....
I USED to be that OCD with closing out apps all through out the day after I was finished using them also. I finally got to a point where I said the heck with it and decided to just close out at the end of the night because I was literally starting to drive myself crazy worrying about closing out apps all the time :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm familiar with the articles regarding the app tray and app switching, but I still like doing it and doing so has served me well, at least it has in my opinion. As for the game, It is a good one, isn't it. I'm a little ticked that the 'Bama player wasn't flagged for roughing the passer before half time especially being that a referee was clearly visible a few feet away and walking toward the incident. smh. Still, it's a heckuva game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far...:)

D I agree with you on both counts and is why I said I mirror what you are doing with the App Switcher as well and I have not read Pinks post yet...Can't wait Pink but Football is Football...lol :)
Yes this is one heck of a game and my neighbor;) and I are going crazy, He is from Ga and over my house watching the game with m,e, Bama should have been flagged...Oh well off topic now. back to the game and I have to answer Pink...

PS now I know how yesterday you called me "HER" lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I USED to be that OCD with closing out apps all through out the day after I was finished using them also. I finally got to a point where I said the heck with it and decided to just close out at the end of the night because I was literally starting to drive myself crazy worrying about closing out apps all the time :)

That's just it, Pink. That habit is so ingrained to where I don't even think about doing it. I just do it...;)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Pink my friend... Then my OCD must be worse than yours and why I take Xanax...lol...:D I just have to do like D does also and close them out when i am done... But i am getting better now.... :)

Also did you try your deal about trying to do what you talked about yesterday with the turning off Fetch and going manual for a few days to check battery life or did the OCD stop that?:p

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
lmao at you guys with your fb game going! Too funny!:D

D, I understand. Trust me when I tell you it took ALOT to keep from constantly double clicking the home button to close things out. It was a hard habit to curb.

Jags, I haven't turned fetch off and switched to manual yet either. It actually slipped my mind lol but while we're on the subject I'll switch it now. Lets see how long this will last with me and my OCD LOL. :p with my luck in a few hours I'll forget I switched the setting and think there's something up with why I'm not receiving emails !! LOL

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've read the same stuff Jag but what I do know is every time my wife's iPad freezes up, I suggest that she clear out the dock of all apps and it's good to go.

Good Luck

I would not disagree at all. I believe in the concept this guy writes on how the apps and app switcher works and as I have agreed with D, You and Pink, I clear mine also my friend.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
lmao at you guys with your fb game going! Too funny!:D

D, I understand. Trust me when I tell you it took ALOT to keep from constantly double clicking the home button to close things out. It was a hard habit to curb.

Jags, I haven't turned fetch off and switched to manual yet either. It actually slipped my mind lol but while we're on the subject I'll switch it now. Lets see how long this will last with me and my OCD LOL. :p with my luck in a few hours I'll forget I switched the setting and think there's something up with why I'm not receiving emails !! LOL

Pink you are way toooo funny for me. I love it, Back to FB with D. No just kidding. Hey at least with the OCD like mine if you forget you switched off Fetch and wonder why you are not getting any emails just start a thread on it... Not getting emails on my 4S and we will do our best to assist you with your problem....:p

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink you are way toooo funny for me. I love it, Back to FB with D. No just kidding. Hey at least with the OCD like mine if you forget you switched off Fetch and wonder why you are not getting any emails just start a thread on it... Not getting emails on my 4S and we will do our best to assist you with your problem....:p

Lmao!! Yea my luck I'd start a thread & within moments of posting it I'd have a "doh!!" moment realizing I turned fetch off to manual and have to look like a dip-sh!t and apologize for my dippy-ness of forgetting I did so!!! 😂

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In response to Turbo and Jags regarding the apps in the tray. Yes, Jags you are correct on this-there were quite a few articles floating around stating that the closing out of apps in the lower tray doesn't do anything. Even if you left them open it would not affect your battery or the phones performance. BUT, now the point Turbo has stated about his wife's iPad where it freezes and then a close out of the apps in the tray frees things up. I have to say sometimes my iPad 1st gen gets a bit sluggish(not freezing), and I need to do this too.

I have a conflicting opinion on this LOL. I have to say for the most part it doesn't affect your battery if you leave things in the tray, but then there are some apps that run in the background that even tho they are "dormant" in that lower tray I still believe it impacts the battery. On a daily basis at the end of the day before my head hits the pillow, I go in and close out the apps I've used through the course of my day, leaving in there only the settings, phone and message apps. Now, whether I'm wasting my time, a whole perhaps 30 seconds of my day in doing this, with it not making any difference at all? Who knows. But for my piece of mind and the way I like to manage my phone I do it. Each one of us is different and of course will have a different opinion on it too. I say just do what your comfortable with and what works well for you:)

Well I hate to keep bringing up yours and mine OCD (Hope the grammar is correct) but I don't disagree with anybody here meaning You, Turbo or D. As many articles as I have read about the apps going "Dormant" but people making the point that when they clear the fast app switcher out other things get freed up. Not the one point both you and Turbo make are on the iPad but not the Iphone. I do not own an iPad... YET...lol so I have to go by my iPhone but i still close them out anyway during the day like D does so I guess we are all right and I do agree with one great statement you made... Whatever works for what "WE" feel and know works best for each of us is the correct way.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Lmao!! Yea my luck I'd start a thread & within moments of posting it I'd have a "doh!!" moment realizing I turned fetch off to manual and have to look like a dip-sh!t and apologize for my dippy-ness of forgetting I did so!!! ��

LMAO! too.... For some reason I don't see that happenin!!

ssandler77

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an iphone 4s running IOS 6.0.1. No jailbreak history for this device. anytime i try to run the camera app i hit capture and camera app crashes and cant take a pic until reboot device. This was also occurring on ios 6. I thought the update to 6.0.1 would correct this issue. Are there any fixes for this issue? Is there a way to completely delete the software and start over?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Pink,
Good Luck

killing apps manually is fine as a troubleshooting step but it shouldn't be part of your daily routine.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
killing apps manually is fine as a troubleshooting step but it shouldn't be part of your daily routine.

If those app are merely a list of recently used apps and are technically dormant, what's the harm in removing them from the list?