6.0.1 and the 4s

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I will second this as well:) I was getting good battery life on 5.0.1 and was concerned about going to 5.1.1 so I never did. Finally a few wks ago, there were features iOS 6 has that I really wanted, along with a couple of apps. So, I bit the bullet and went for it. I'm VERY HAPPY I have done so!! I really love it�� As for anything acting weird, nothing at all. Everything is running great, and my battery life is the same. I can still go every other day or 2 days before I need to charge��

I just did a battery test and went 2.5 days on a single charge. Granted that coming from a BB I am a battery micromanager, but for all the complaining I heard before I came over to Apple about battery life, I have been nothing short of suprised how long I can make it last. I am getting the same life I got with my Bold 9900.

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I just did a battery test and went 2.5 days on a single charge. Granted that coming from a BB I am a battery micromanager, but for all the complaining I heard before I came over to Apple about battery life, I have been nothing short of suprised how long I can make it last. I am getting the same life I got with my Bold 9900.

what the heck???? I'm lucky if I can get through a 9-5 day! Care to share some tips please??

Thanks.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
what the heck???? I'm lucky if I can get through a 9-5 day! Care to share some tips please??

Thanks.

First off there are MANY threads on the forum about managing your battery, However having said that because I don't beleive an answer to help someone is telling them to do a search... So everyone even 100 different people use their phones in so many unique ways and the apps they have installed can drain your battery.

I know for a fact that with the apps I have that are mostly productivity apps and I do not play games or use any social media apps i.e. Facebook but I did use Twitter Mobile app for iPhone for a while and it flat drained my phone because of all the notifications I had set for certain people so I deleted it and only go on Twitter on my home computer and my battery is back to normal, Now I can easily go 2.5 days and that is using my phone quite abit.

Best of luck to you but check your settings and apps. Some are real hogs.

Bengalfan1

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

There is a lot of good information in the forums on how to extend battery life. Some of the usual ones I could think of are to leave GPS off unless you are actually using it, lower screen brightness, turn the auto-lock time to a low number, remove some apps from notification center, and turn off push email.

I just finished updating my phone to 6.0.1. Hopefully my battery life stays the same or gets better.

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is so-so. I have auto-lock set to just a few minutes, screen brightness is not too high, apps don't update too often (Facebook, Twitter etc) but I think my battery hog is WhatsApp...if I'm chatting with friends all day, I have to charge it by lunchtime...otherwise I can make it 9-5 for the most part; that's a few texts, emails, listening to music and a few games.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
leave GPS off unless you are actually using it, lower screen brightness, turn the auto-lock time to a low number, remove some apps from notification center, and turn off push email.

i have never been a fan of doing these things described. my theory is one should enjoy their device as it was intended for - i leave everything ON that i use on a daily basis

if i leave my phone alone (which is almost impossible lol) then i can go all day without charging. i am a heavy user and charge one to two times in a day but i know why i need too

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i have never been a fan of doing these things described. my theory is one should enjoy their device as it was intended for - i leave everything ON that i use on a daily basis

if i leave my phone alone (which is almost impossible lol) then i can go all day without charging. i am a heavy user and charge one to two times in a day but i know why i need too

I am the same way with the exception of charging one to two times a day. Don't get me wrong. There are days when I have to put it on the charger earlier in the day, but that is when I use the device beyond my normal usage (when I end up talking to several people for long periods of time).

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this as well. Set your phone how you need it to work for you and just charge when needed!

It's funny because when I first got my 4S last November, I barely used my phone at all. I could go anywhere from 2&1/2 to 3 & 1/2 days before needing to charge (remember my ss's I used to post in the ios5.0 battery thread?!) But then I started adding more things to my phone little by little, increasing some notifications here and there etc to be more productive.

Now I use my phone ALOT more (some wifi, some 3G), but I can still stretch my battery life a good 1-1/2 to 2 days with approx 7-8hrs of usage over the course of that time. As heavy as a user you are BLiNK, it sounds like you could cook up 7-8hrs usage easily in one day, hence why you need to charge more often daily of course;)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this as well. Set your phone how you need it to work for you and just charge when needed!

It's funny because when I first got my 4S last November, I barely used my phone at all. I could go anywhere from 2&1/2 to 3 & 1/2 days before needing to charge (remember my ss's I used to post in the ios5.0 battery thread?!) But then I started adding more things to my phone little by little, increasing some notifications here and there etc to be more productive.

Now I use my phone ALOT more (some wifi, some 3G), but I can still stretch my battery life a good 1-1/2 to 2 days with approx 7-8hrs of usage over the course of that time. As heavy as a user you are BLiNK, it sounds like you could cook up 7-8hrs usage easily in one day, hence why you need to charge more often daily of course;)

I suppose -actually I know that I agree with JustMe'D and Pink in the sense that Pink you got your phone a month before I did and when I got mine in Dec. last year I wanted to make sure i got everything out of the battery I could so I was very careful.

Now a year later and smarter..:p as I have no need for Push email with my gmail acct. I DO have push and fetch turned off and check manually through the day and i only use GPS and location services on an as needed basis so the only thing I do when I get to work is turn on WIFI for certain things in the morning only. I then turn it off and use it at home when needed for certain things.

WIFI is a battery "HOG" I am sure everyone has found out. I do subscribe to using as intended but as I need to use it as intended and I talk alot and text and email, read news apps through the day and can get about 2 days or slightly longer on my phone. I suppose i am just fortunate that I figured out what my "Combination" is and what works best for me.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I suppose -actually I know that I agree with JustMe'D and Pink in the sense that Pink you got your phone a month before I did and when I got mine in Dec. last year I wanted to make sure i got everything out of the battery I could so I was very careful.

Now a year later and smarter..:p as I have no need for Push email with my gmail acct. I DO have push and fetch turned off and check manually through the day and i only use GPS and location services on an as needed basis so the only thing I do when I get to work is turn on WIFI for certain things in the morning only. I then turn it off and use it at home when needed for certain things.

WIFI is a battery "HOG" I am sure everyone has found out. I do subscribe to using as intended but as I need to use it as intended and I talk alot and text and email, read news apps through the day and can get about 2 days or slightly longer on my phone. I suppose i am just fortunate that I figured out what my "Combination" is and what works best for me.
Jags, it sounds like you've also got your phone use down to a science. One thing I will disagree with you on however, is what you stated about wifi being a battery hog. For me, what I've experienced on my phone is when on wifi I get better battery life:) I also have only one of my email accts on my iPhone and its set to fetch hourly. Technically, I could do what you've done and set to manual to conserve more battery throughout the day. I actually may just give that a go for a day or two and see how it works for me!

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Jags, it sounds like you've also got your phone use down to a science. One thing I will disagree with you on however, is what you stated about wifi being a battery hog. For me, what I've experienced on my phone is when on wifi I get better battery life:) I also have only one of my email accts on my iPhone and its set to fetch hourly. Technically, I could do what you've done and set to manual to conserve more battery throughout the day. I actually may just give that a go for a day or two and see how it works for me!

Wi-Fi does not put a strain on my battery either. I'm typically on Wi-Fi 90% of the time and my battery typically lasts until bed time and I'm usually at 10% by then. Anyway, Jag has done a great job with battery management based on her habits and that is all anyone can hope to achieve at this point, in my opinion.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I also get good battery life on wi-fi.
I also charger whenever it's convenient especially in the car.
I am religious about "x" out the app in the dock as well.
Good Luck

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Pink... :D You are going to spoil me with all you likes but I will take them...lol. I as well only have one (1) email on my phone and as stated set manually. It just works for me and even though I get email through the day from friends and work related in the business I am in I can still afford to get the mail as I need it and if real important they will text me or call. It just works and thanks for the compliment on having my phone down pretty good. Now when I mentioned that WIFI is a battery HOG, I can go into work at 100% and turn on WIFI while on lunch to read my various news apps and so on, check email and and answer etc. but mainly news apps or even CBS radio news and my battery will go down 6-8% in 1/2 hour. This is what I meant but you guys might not think that that is alot, I do. Anyway that is how things work for me.
Wi-Fi does not put a strain on my battery either. I'm typically on Wi-Fi 90% of the time and my battery typically lasts until bed time and I'm usually at 10% by then. Anyway, Jag has done a great job with battery management based on her habits and that is all anyone can hope to achieve at this point, in my opinion.
D thank you also for the compliment and just so you know this Jag is a guy where you mention her...:p HA! Anyway as you read my answer to Pink about WIFI it is just how it is with me. I watch my apps and what they do to my battery % when I am on it and it just does drain vs turning it off after lunch and it stays stable the rest of the day.

Hope you both have a great evening and happy to have you both as friends in the forum.:eek:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Pink... :D You are going to spoil me with all you likes but I will take them...lol. I as well only have one (1) email on my phone and as stated set manually. It just works for me and even though I get email through the day from friends and work related in the business I am in I can still afford to get the mail as I need it and if real important they will text me or call. It just works and thanks for the compliment on having my phone down pretty good. Now when I mentioned that WIFI is a battery HOG, I can go into work at 100% and turn on WIFI while on lunch to read my various news apps and so on, check email and and answer etc. but mainly news apps or even CBS radio news and my battery will go down 6-8% in 1/2 hour. This is what I meant but you guys might not think that that is alot, I do. Anyway that is how things work for me.

D thank you also for the compliment and just so you know this Jag is a guy where you mention her...:p HA! Anyway as you read my answer to Pink about WIFI it is just how it is with me. I watch my apps and what they do to my battery % when I am on it and it just does drain vs turning it off after lunch and it stays stable the rest of the day.

Hope you both have a great evening and happy to have you both as friends in the forum.:eek:

Oh dang. I'm sorry Jag. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. That's what I get for trying to post a reply while watching college football....(laughing)...I can't help it. I love the game that much. Anyway, I won't make that mistake again...I hope...:). Take care, my friend and have a great night.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I also get good battery life on wi-fi.
I also charger whenever it's convenient especially in the car.
I am religious about "x" out the app in the dock as well.
Good Luck

One thing I will tell you because there have been some very good articles written and introduced in the forum about a guy who I cannot remember his name in the "Know" about the doc and apps explains that the apps in your quick launch doc does nothing because after 10 mins they go into a sleep state and there is no need to x out of them all the time. The only app i have ever had on my phone that I stated earlier I deleted was Twitter which was a HOG on my battery with all the mobile notifications I had set for certain people and that is why I got rid of it so no social apps for me at all or games. I don't worry about the doc except to clear from time to time if I have opened alot and it is getting full.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh dang. I'm sorry Jag. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. That's what I get for trying to post a reply while watching college football....(laughing)...I can't help it. I love the game that much. Anyway, I won't make that mistake again...I hope...:). Take care, my friend and have a great night.

Hey don't try and take the college football away from me. I love it as much as you do for sure, lol, even the Helmet you got since we both at one time lived close enough to attend the games. Now I go to watch UF and other state teams, UCF, USF etc.

Anyway don't worry about the remark as I knew you slipped and my TY still stands as I appreciate you buddy.:eek:

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Off topic but since it got mentioned....College football, NFL, NASCAR...it's all good. Oh and now College hoops is on...gotta go!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
One thing I will tell you because there have been some very good articles written and introduced in the forum about a guy who I cannot remember his name in the "Know" about the doc and apps explains that the apps in your quick launch doc does nothing because after 10 mins they go into a sleep state and there is no need to x out of them all the time. The only app i have ever had on my phone that I stated earlier I deleted was Twitter which was a HOG on my battery with all the mobile notifications I had set for certain people and that is why I got rid of it so no social apps for me at all or games. I don't worry about the doc except to clear from time to time if I have opened alot and it is getting full.

I've read the same stuff Jag but what I do know is every time my wife's iPad freezes up, I suggest that she clear out the dock of all apps and it's good to go.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox