earpiece rattle issue when on a call

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Ive had my Sprint Iphone 4s 32 gig for almost a year now. It has been working flawlessly up until yesterday. I noticed that when I am on a call and the other peson is talking, you hear a rattle sound in the earpiece. Almost as if something is loose in the phone. It only happens when the other party is speaking. Doesnt happen when on speaker or on bluetooth. Not sure why this just happened. I take very good care of my phone. No scratches, never been dropped. Any ideas?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ive had my Sprint Iphone 4s 32 gig for almost a year now. It has been working flawlessly up until yesterday. I noticed that when I am on a call and the other peson is talking, you hear a rattle sound in the earpiece. Almost as if something is loose in the phone. It only happens when the other party is speaking. Doesnt happen when on speaker or on bluetooth. Not sure why this just happened. I take very good care of my phone. No scratches, never been dropped. Any ideas?

It could very well be the earpiece speaker going bad and while not the norm. It could happen. You may wantto look at some of the videoes on DIY from PXLFIX or on YouTube for PXLFIX where they are very good at showing you how to replace the earpiece yourself, get the parts from them or send to them to do it if you don't feel you can do it yourself. Best of luck and welcome to the forums.

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the reply. I'm thinking of walking into the apple store and see if they can fix it. My warranty is up in a month. Would they replace it with a new 4s or a refurbished one?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanx for the reply. I'm thinking of walking into the apple store and see if they can fix it. My warranty is up in a month. Would they replace it with a new 4s or a refurbished one?

At this point, I am pretty sure it will be a refurb... but what's the issue with that? Refurbs are good devices, completely checked out and "blessed" by Apple. It will also come with the greater of a 90-day warranty or the balance of your factory 1 year warranty... which, according to your comment, gets you 2 extra months of coverage.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I always back up my phone before I take it in and wipe it myself before I turn it in to Apple. Then restore the new phone from the back up.

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that the only thing that tells a refurb from a new phone is the box it comes it. As far as the cosmetics, it should be perfect

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Another option, if you are leery of turning in your phone because of sensitive data, find a center that will replace the speaker while you watch / wait.
I have had a few customers with who knows what on their phones and for a small additional fee i have always bumped up their repair to the front of the line and let them watch me repair the device. When i am done with the repair i let them test it, this way i dont have direct access to what ever they are hiding. LOL..

WarrenRSV

Banned
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem and when I spoke to apple and my carrier they both said "upgrade the iOS to the latest release and restore the phone. I argued this as I thought it was nonsense because the speaker was definitely vibrating and rattling. Anyway I arranged to take it to see a genius at the apple store, so I had to restore because it was jailbroken. Guess what............it cured the problem!! Might be worth a try? I would have put money on it being a loose speaker or something.

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
12 months later and still the problem has never returned.

Well I havent gone to an apple store yet as the problem comes and goes. Im wondering if its going to get worse? My warranty is up in 2 weeks. The pressure is on! I guess Ill try what you said and do a restore even though I have the latest iOS and to me it would seem its a hardware problem. No jailbroken here.

How do I go about doing a restore? First erase everything on the phone and then go into itunes and restore from backup? Or just click restore from the summary page?

Last edited:

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Just did a restore and the problem is still there. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Guess I will have to make a trip to the store.

Ive never been to the apple store. Do I have to make an appointment with the genius people or can I just walk in?

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Download the Apple App Store and you can make an appointment there. I had the problem with the 4 I had. Took it there and they swapped with no questions asked. Then I got the 4S. Best customer experience with them.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just did a restore and the problem is still there. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Guess I will have to make a trip to the store.

Ive never been to the apple store. Do I have to make an appointment with the genius people or can I just walk in?

As Terrigno said, you can schedule an appointment through the app, or you can call 1-800-myapple to make an appointment. This is going to be the quickest option. I was able to get an appointment within 3 hours for my old 4S when I wanted to add AppleCare+ and they insisted that I had to get a Genius rep to look at it first.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Are refurbs scratch free? Do they wipe the data clean off the original phone? I have sensitive data on it.

Apple refurbs look the same as the new ones, no difference at all, I've had two brand new iphones failed ( 3gs and 4s ) and I always got refurbs, they ended up lasting for 2 or 3 years ( until I sold them )..

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Good thing you restored the phone because they almost always ask you to do this, dont worry, they will take good care of you..

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
This morning I went to apple.com and made a reservation for the genius bar. 3 hours later I was at the Grand Central Station store. Never been to an apple store before. Pretty cool place. I came in, told them I had a reservation, and sat me down with a genius. Told then what the problem was. They took it to the back and tested it. 5 minutes later they come back and tell me the earpiece is starting to go. They gave me a brand new 4s! I was out of there in 20 minutes. I couldnt believe the great service.

Thanx for all the replies!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2