To 5 or not to 5...

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi There iMore!
My upgrade is rapidly approaching, and I'm looking for some honest, unbiased, opinions. I turn to you iMore forums!

I'm currently using a white iPhone 4 16GB I got last upgrade with Verizon. I passed on the 4S as I didn't really feel like waiting, and the Droid I was using was a painful clunker. Having handled a couple of iPhone 5's belonging to various clients and friends, I do like how it feels. Here's where I have a bit of a conundrum. I have TONS of 30 pin based accessories, including docks, car chargers, wall chargers, and extra cables for when I'm travelling around for work. Looking at the iPhone 5 myself, and reading about the various glitches it's currently facing (purple lens flares, screen artifacts, etc) is it worth choosing the 5 over, say, the less expensive and readily available 4S?

I know it's a technological leap forward. I know it has a bigger screen, faster processor, more RAM, etc, but is it worth it? I'll have to throw down some serious dough to get all of the cables and accessories replaced with lightning versions, buy a new case, and all that so I want to make an informed decision. I'm not really a "it's new I must have it!" kind of guy.:confused: I know it's a bit of a subjective question, but be honest with me. Is there anything the 5 does that the 4S doesn't, that I'll miss in the long run?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the iPhone 4, the answer is yes. No doubt about it. Having said that, the iPhone 4S is a very worthy & capable device and iOS 6 runs well on it, in my experience and getting the 4S will allow you to maintain your current stash of 30-pin connector accessories. Now, the real question is this: Is it feasible to use an upgrade on a year old device like the 4S? I think not, although I'm completely content with mine. Still, if you're going to use an upgrade, upgrade to the latest. The accessories will be made available soon. Count on it. Anyway, I hope my honest opinion helps. ;)

Just Me, D

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi There iMore!
My upgrade is rapidly approaching, and I'm looking for some honest, unbiased, opinions. I turn to you iMore forums!

I'm currently using a white iPhone 4 16GB I got last upgrade with Verizon. I passed on the 4S as I didn't really feel like waiting, and the Droid I was using was a painful clunker. Having handled a couple of iPhone 5's belonging to various clients and friends, I do like how it feels. Here's where I have a bit of a conundrum. I have TONS of 30 pin based accessories, including docks, car chargers, wall chargers, and extra cables for when I'm travelling around for work. Looking at the iPhone 5 myself, and reading about the various glitches it's currently facing (purple lens flares, screen artifacts, etc) is it worth choosing the 5 over, say, the less expensive and readily available 4S?

I know it's a technological leap forward. I know it has a bigger screen, faster processor, more RAM, etc, but is it worth it? I'll have to throw down some serious dough to get all of the cables and accessories replaced with lightning versions, buy a new case, and all that so I want to make an informed decision. I'm not really a "it's new I must have it!" kind of guy.:confused: I know it's a bit of a subjective question, but be honest with me. Is there anything the 5 does that the 4S doesn't, that I'll miss in the long run?

Thanks!

The 5 gets you longevity. While the 4S is a solid device, it's now using dated hardware. Sure there will still be companies that make stuff for the 30 pin connector, but lightning is where it's at now.

You really won't have to wait long for a 5. My co-worker had to wait a week, even though he was told he had to wait 2+ weeks. You can also stalk the Apple store site at 10pm ( PST I think? ) to see when stores are updated and get it for in store pickup right then and pickup the next morning.

I got the 5 ( upgraded from my 4 ) and could not be happier.

cariduros

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm personally waiting for an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for the 5. Once that happens I'll be upgrading. Not sure if that helps but is food for thought. I would not go to the 4S since the 5 is available unless cash is an immediate problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
To me coming from a 4 this is not even a debate... get the 5. It's got the bigger (but not too big) screen, its very thin and light, it is faster, and it has LTE. You don't have to replace all your 30-pin cables at once so I certainly wouldn't use that as a reason to not get the 5.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi There iMore!

Thanks!

The one thing you can always count on is the advice given by the people on here that you see with many posts and thanks. They know what they are talking about and rarely sugarcoat anything just like the answer JustMe'D gave you. I would tend to lean the same way even though I am quite content with my 4S running IOS6 with virtually no problems like many others have been throwing out there.

I do have a suggestion for you that many new people make and that id posting in the wrong forum. I beleive that if you posted in the iPhone 5 forum because that iswhat your post is about you might get more responses so you may ask one of the big wigs to move your post to that forum. Now no harm done, just friendly advice. ;)

To me coming from a 4 this is not even a debate... get the 5. It's got the bigger (but not too big) screen, its very thin and light, it is faster, and it has LTE. You don't have to replace all your 30-pin cables at once so I certainly wouldn't use that as a reason to not get the 5.

Very true as I just ordered a new iPod 7th Gen. 16 GB from Apple and along with it a 30 pin to lightning adapter so I can use that for my new iPod and still use my 30 pin for the iPhone.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If you're not 100% committed to getting the iPhone 5, I'd sell ur iPhone 4 and get 4S from like Craigslist or eBay and save ur upgrade.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Apple came out saying that the purple haze is "our" fault :/ I would still say go for it! Upgraded from 4s and although at first look I were afraid of not much difference/upgrade but after using it and then just lifting up my 4s I feel that the upgrade were totally worth it!

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The LTE alone is/was enough of a reason for me. The larger screen, more ram, camera improvements are/were all icing on the cake.

TalkingDeer

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I would get the 5, especially if you're using your upgrade to get it. If you were selling your 4 and buying something off contract, then I'd say 4S...

brdl04

Banned
Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Get a 5 and sell it on ebay for $800-$1000

Buy a 4S and take your lady out with the rest.

Ive played with both, and as much as the 5 is a great device, the 4S is very capable and will last a while.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys! I think I definitely want to go 5. Only issue now is I have a sneaking suspicion someone else on my account has used my upgrade. Where's my bat?

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I knew my upgrade date, but didn't call in until yesterday. We have a small business with a few authorized users, not all of which I see on a regular basis. I suspect one of the partner's wives may have taken it. Joyous.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I was messing with the 5 yesterday at the sprint store and I must say it was Fast turning on LTE
But when I turn it off and use the 3G and combine the speeds with my 4s it was the same taking pictures same
And everything else same so even tho I wanna upgrade because its new I really feel that I don't have too

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi There iMore!

Thanks!

Get the 5, by Christmas ebay will be flooded with knock off 30 pin to lightning adapters and cables for a few dollars each and you can stock up. Especially being on Verizon you want to move to LTE and be done with 3G.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Get the 5, by Christmas ebay will be flooded with knock off 30 pin to lightning adapters and cables for a few dollars each and you can stock up. Especially being on Verizon you want to move to LTE and be done with 3G.

Already there...lol. You can get two adaptors for $8 shipped, or two cables for $12 shipped. I'm sure that will come down to nothing soon...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR