More And More Switching To IOS From BlackBerry & Android

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had just about every Blackberry there is and was and One Android phone but since I switched to an Iphone in December 2011 by buying a Christmas Present for myself in an iPhone 4S 16GB I have noticed more and more people on iMore who have like me switched to an iPhone like I did. Although CrackBerry.com is part of the Mobile Nations group I have seen at least 15 people that I have had interaction with in the CB forums now over here loving life like me with an iPhone.

I thought John Yesters comments in the 4S forum in why he switched sums it up for me and many others. All I have to say is IOS just darn works and the more I use it the more I love it. I was the first at work to switch and now 16 out of 28 emplyees have new iPhones. Anyway I just wanted to post this to thank everyone for giving IOS a try like I did, Welcome everyone that I know and hope to have alot of exchanges in the forums with all of you. Some great people here!! :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had just about every Blackberry there is and was and One Android phone but since I switched to an Iphone in December 2011 by buying a Christmas Present for myself in an iPhone 4S 16GB I have noticed more and more people on iMore who have like me switched to an iPhone like I did. Although CrackBerry.com is part of the Mobile Nations group I have seen at least 15 people that I have had interaction with in the CB forums now over here loving life like me with an iPhone.

I thought John Yesters comments in the 4S forum in why he switched sums it up for me and many others. All I have to say is IOS just darn works and the more I use it the more I love it. I was the first at work to switch and now 16 out of 28 emplyees have new iPhones. Anyway I just wanted to post this to thank everyone for giving IOS a try like I did, Welcome everyone that I know and hope to have alot of exchanges in the forums with all of you. Some great people here!! :D

I bought my first mobile phone in 1989 and I have enjoyed every one of them. If it was THE device, I had it. ;) Blackberry devices were my favorites, especially the 7290 and the original Bold 9000. Anyway, being that RIM is struggling to remain relevant, the iPhone arguably is the logical choice for professionals who seek stability, security and top-notch product support. That is not to say that Android cannot and does not provide that, but Android have many flavors, so to speak, whereas Apple only has one. Furthermore, it is currently the most successful company on the planet which is another incentive for professionals to switch to using Apple devices. At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought my first mobile phone in 1989 and I have enjoyed every one of them. If it was THE device, I had it. ;) Blackberry devices were my favorites, especially the 7290 and the original Bold 9000. Anyway, being that RIM is struggle to remain relevant, the iPhone arguably is the logical choice for professionals who seek stability, security and top-notch product support. That is not to say that Android cannot and does not provide that, but Android had many flavors, so to speak whereas Apple only has one. Furthermore, it is currently the most successful company on the planet which is another incentive for professionals to switch to using Apple devices. At least that's how I see it.

I would agree withthat statement 100% and is the reason I finally made the switch. Thank you for your comments.... :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would agree withthat statement 100% and is the reason I finally made the switch. Thank you for your comments.... :D

You're very welcome, my friend. :) Heck, I had to correct all of the grammatical errors in my original post. ..lol.. I swear i didn't type it that way. My darn smartphone is incorrectly making corrections again. Then again, it's my fault for not proofreading before hitting the send button.

HankHowdy

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have also migrated from Blackberry and Android and an iPhone is a pure pleasure to use. I am curious to see what BB10 has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S? using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have also migrated from Blackberry and Android and an iPhone is a pure pleasure to use. I am curious to see what BB10 has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S? using Tapatalk

I don't think BBX is going to have the app developers and app support that the CB faithful think it'll have. There may be half a dozen calculator apps, but when it comes to Netflix and Rovio, I doubt there is anything there.

There have been several threads in the 5 forum since that phone dropped from people who had a BB and have dumped it for an iPhone. All I can say is welcome to the dark side. :)

I was very anti iPhone until the ex got a 3GS from my sister. Even with that phone being two years old at the time, it ran circles around my Storm2. I retired my BB and ordered a 4s off contract so I could get away from the monstrosity that was my BB and have yet to look back.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
My .02

I choose to buy what suits my needs - just as you choose to buy what suits yours. To pass judgment on my decisions is no different than passing judgment on someone else's choice of a car, religious beliefs, or food choices. It's asinine, and it proves nothing but your own intolerance.

I don't care what anybody else uses. I really don't. I'm secure enough with my own beliefs that I don't need others to believe the same thing I do to feel confident that I've made the best decision for how I choose to live my life.

Perhaps if more companies took a hard look at the quality of products they were producing instead of looking over their shoulder or seeing what their competitors were doing... we'd all have better products than what we have now.

That, and no company - nor any of its devices - nor any platform - is perfect. This should be obvious. We all make choices, and forcing other people to agree with our own choices is just............

Well you get my point

zunex

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I love both Blackberry and iPhone. At the moment I'm still using BB 9780 & iPhone 4S at the same time. You should choose the phone that best suits you, just don't follow the crowd

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: More And More Switching To IOS From BlackBerry & Android

My .02

I choose to buy what suits my needs - just as you choose to buy what suits yours. To pass judgment on my decisions is no different than passing judgment on someone else's choice of a car, religious beliefs, or food choices. It's asinine, and it proves nothing but your own intolerance.

I don't care what anybody else uses. I really don't. I'm secure enough with my own beliefs that I don't need others to believe the same thing I do to feel confident that I've made the best decision for how I choose to live my life.

Perhaps if more companies took a hard look at the quality of products they were producing instead of looking over their shoulder or seeing what their competitors were doing... we'd all have better products than what we have now.

That, and no company - nor any of its devices - nor any platform - is perfect. This should be obvious. We all make choices, and forcing other people to agree with our own choices is just............

Well you get my point

This is the main reason I followed up with John Yesters original thread in here on why he likes and chose the iPhone. It is ALWAYS the individuals choice on what to buy and I bought mine almost for the same reasons John and JustMe'D bought and are using theirs. THis device just works with no drama to really talk about. iPhone has far less problems than BB ever did and BB will never come out with anything to match with the direction RIM is going in.

Thanks for all that applied to this thread.

Last edited:

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

This is the main reason I followed up with John Yesters original thread in here on why he likes and chose the iPhone. It is ALWAYS the individuals choice on what to buy and I bought mine almost for the same reasons John and JustMe'D bought and are using theirs. THis device just works with no drama to really talk about. iPhone has far less problems than BB ever did and BB will never come out with anything to match with the direction RIM is going in.

Thanks for all that applied to this thread.

My iPhone was forced upon me, it isn't always a choice
I use it because I must, I've yet to find the joy and pleasure people talk about,
John Yester and I have had a few conversations over twitter about it.
I'm glad some people like it, but the statement that iPhone Just works, just isn't the case, there is a lot it can't do, or a lot that it does just good enough, for most people it would be a fantastic device. for me, it is the heavy brick in my pocket because I must use the "third rail" case system with external batteries.

While BlackBerry isn't without faults, it has many, to think that it can't catch up to the iPhone makes me wonder what on earth one does with their iPhone.
Without the spinning blackclock BBOS7 would be fantastic.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

For me, without the spinning black clock, the device having the app library that iOS and Android have and specs that aren't what the competition had five years ago, BB would be fantastic.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch about a year ago from Blackberry. Don't get me wrong I loved my BB (especially all the customization) but now i think i like my iphone more

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

For me, without the spinning black clock, the device having the app library that iOS and Android have and specs that aren't what the competition had five years ago, BB would be fantastic.

Please enlighten me. Which mobile devices 5 years ago had 1.2ghz processors and 768MB of RAM

RIM isn't keeping up with the Androids, but OS7 left them hardware compeitive with the iPhone4S.

As for the App library, that is a given that RIM will always be behind, the App store on my idevices has yet to add the functionality I've lost.

The post I quoted stated that on RIM's current trajectory they have no chance at catching iPhone on user ease of use and stability, a statement completely ignorant of the last year, and the changes RIM is making.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

My iPhone was forced upon me, it isn't always a choice
I use it because I must, I've yet to find the joy and pleasure people talk about,
John Yester and I have had a few conversations over twitter about it.
I'm glad some people like it, but the statement that iPhone Just works, just isn't the case, there is a lot it can't do, or a lot that it does just good enough, for most people it would be a fantastic device. for me, it is the heavy brick in my pocket because I must use the "third rail" case system with external batteries.

While BlackBerry isn't without faults, it has many, to think that it can't catch up to the iPhone makes me wonder what on earth one does with their iPhone.

I don't get any of your post at all especially the part about that your iPhone was forced upon you but you do not explain why or what you don't like about IOS?
If you don't find the joy and pleasure of not having to reboot all the time to recover memory as we all who have had BlackBerries are use to doing on a regular basis and many more things but mainly the direction of RIM as oppsed to Apple, Please enlighten us in a bit more detail so we can better understand what you mean.

Thank you for sharing your opinions with us...;)

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I don't get any of your post at all especially the part about that your iPhone was forced upon you but you do not explain why or what you don't like about IOS?
If you don't find the joy and pleasure of not having to reboot all the time to recover memory as we all who have had BlackBerries are use to doing on a regular basis and many more things but mainly the direction of RIM as oppsed to Apple, Please enlighten us in a bit more detail so we can better understand what you mean.

Thank you for sharing your opinions with us...;)

My iPhone was work issued, when I first started I was given an iPhone because "That's what people want isn't it?" everyone else with the exception of the other new hire were BlackBerry users, I had said I'd prefer a BlackBerry, and management said they'd try and get me one before flying home, that didn't happen, and I said no real rush, because being an objective person I figured I'd give iOS a fair shot, I was deliberate in not sharing my experience with iOS for at least the first 2 weeks with the device because people would have just read posts full of explicit words.

My iPhones reboots are far more an inconvience than my BlackBerry's reboots, I reboot my BlackBerry every morning when I get in the car, I change the battery with one that was charging in the car, and that is the only time I really need to reboot my BlackBerry, my iPhone freezes and requires reboots during the login sequence of conference calls, since updating to iOS6 I'd say 1 in 3 calls requires a hard reboot either from a frozen keypad, or not being able to enter the login code, a reboot occasionally lets me enter the login code

I didn't want to turn your thread into my iOS complaining thread, I really only commented because of the part you bolded, iPhones are not ALWAYS a choice, just like BlackBerry's have been forced on users, iPhones are the same.

As for the direction RIM is going
BlackBerry 10 addresses the lock up and reboot requirements by forcing app closures when they fail, not requiring the device to reboot, on my PlayBook, and my devAlpha I've yet to see a BlackClock, RIM started addressing their underpowered devices with BlackBerry OS7 devices, having them specc'd similarly to iPhone, and I'm in agreement with both Apple and RIM on the hardware front that they don't need to have the fastest spec wise devices as long as the hardware doesn't bottleneck, and for OS7 it isn't the hardware it was the dated JVM based BBOS,

RIM's direction is very much one that will being the stability / fluid nature of iOS into the BlackBerry Platform, but in their own manner, and hopefully not copying some of the STUPID things that Android copied from iOS like the inconsistent method of app setting control, sometimes being in the app, sometimes being in a central settings area, sometimes in both...

I travel extensively and my phones are my lifeline for communication both work and personal, I carry a 3rd device for play which bounces through various devices always looking for the next device that can make me more productive.

If you're truly interested in all the things I hate about iOS and not just the things I'm looking for solutions too which my posts generally are, I'd gladly take this to PM so as to not pollute this thread further.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

My iPhone was work issued, when I first started I was given an iPhone because "That's what people want isn't it?" everyone else with the exception of the other new hire were BlackBerry users, I had said I'd prefer a BlackBerry, and management said they'd try and get me one before flying home, that didn't happen, and I said no real rush, because being an objective person I figured I'd give iOS a fair shot, I was deliberate in not sharing my experience with iOS for at least the first 2 weeks with the device because people would have just read posts full of explicit words.

My iPhones reboots are far more an inconvience than my BlackBerry's reboots, I reboot my BlackBerry every morning when I get in the car, I change the battery with one that was charging in the car, and that is the only time I really need to reboot my BlackBerry, my iPhone freezes and requires reboots during the login sequence of conference calls, since updating to iOS6 I'd say 1 in 3 calls requires a hard reboot either from a frozen keypad, or not being able to enter the login code, a reboot occasionally lets me enter the login code

I didn't want to turn your thread into my iOS complaining thread, I really only commented because of the part you bolded, iPhones are not ALWAYS a choice, just like BlackBerry's have been forced on users, iPhones are the same.

BlackBerry 10 addresses the lock up and reboot requirements by forcing app closures when they fail, not requiring the device to reboot, on my PlayBook, and my devAlpha I've yet to see a BlackClock, RIM started addressing their underpowered devices with BlackBerry OS7 devices, having them specc'd similarly to iPhone, and I'm in agreement with both Apple and RIM on the hardware front that they don't need to have the fastest spec wise devices as long as the hardware doesn't bottleneck, and for OS7 it isn't the hardware it was the dated JVM based BBOS,

RIM's direction is very much one that will being the stability / fluid nature of iOS into the BlackBerry Platform, but in their own manner, and hopefully not copying some of the STUPID things that Android copied from iOS like the inconsistent method of app setting control, sometimes being in the app, sometimes being in a central settings area, sometimes in both...

I travel extensively and my phones are my lifeline for communication both work and personal, I carry a 3rd device for play which bounces through various devices always looking for the next device that can make me more productive.

If you're truly interested in all the things I hate about iOS and not just the things I'm looking for solutions too which my posts generally are, I'd gladly take this to PM so as to not pollute this thread further.

After reading this comment to my questioning your thread I will say that it was well thought out and I give you all the credit for an intelligent post. i wish there wer more of them. PLease understand that I was not blasting you in any way and am not now since I have gotten to listen to your reasons.

I have owned just about every BB including the 9630 Tour before I jumped ship to IOS. I use to have to reboot my BB at least 3 times a week to regain memory and with the production apps that I have on my iPhone and the personal apps, Well this phone just works for my needs much like I need for work and while at home or traveling. Fortunatly for me I have not experienced any of the truble you have faced with your iPhone and I would bring these concerns to the attention of your IT person where you work sonce it is a work phone.

I wish you the best in working this out, i appreciate your candor and you are always welcome to PM me with the issues you are having and I would be happy to share more with you. This is a great place for this kind of thing as long as you get something out of it and don't rant too much...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Which specific iPhone model do you have? Maybe we can help you in regard to your crashing issue? Frequent crashing is not something I've ever experienced with my iPhone.

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Which specific iPhone model do you have? Maybe we can help you in regard to your crashing issue? Frequent crashing is not something I've ever experienced with my iPhone.

the iPhone4S, (Model MD234C)
the Apple Genius guys were baffled, the usual response I get is "well I don't really use the iPhone as a PHONE"
it always happens when the device is hot, any usage over 2hours talking in one go and the device is warm, if I have a 2 conference calls in a row the second one is a sure bet it will freeze up during the password entry login,
99% of my lockups are in the phone app,

justinbob

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Ios 6 have many features due to which people are upgrading for this new software. Talking Directions in Maps, Delete Messages in Mail,Sync Your Text Expansion Shortcuts Across Devices,Only Receive Message Alerts from Your Contacts,Late Night Listening music,Wake Up to a Song,Limit Ad Tracking of web,Pull to Refresh mails.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Going back yeeeeeeears ago, when the iPhone was only avail on AT&T i was bummed because i had always wanted one, but being on Verizon I wasn't willing to make a carrier switch when my whole family was with Verizon. Cost wise, it just wouldnt have been worth it. I'm also a bb to iphone convert. I used bb's for about 4+ yrs. I've had the 8330, 8530, S2(9550), and the bold 9650. Last July(2011) my hubby got himself an i4 - and i would mess around with it. I already owned an iPad(1) and iTouch3rd gen at that point as well. I absolutely loved the phone aspect of iDevices at that point, but had to wait till Nov. for my upgrade. By that time the 4S was announced and released so i went for it and i haven't looked back since. I don't imagine myself going back to bb at all again, to me the software and function of it all just really fell behind the times. There are a few android devices that have caught my eye, and i plan on checking them out. will i actually switch from my 4S -- idk. I really do enjoy it, so i think even if i did make the switch, because i'm so" in tune" with my 4S and how it works for me, i'd prob have a hard time accepting the new device, and wind up switching back to my 4S. SO before i even make that kind of decision i want to be sure before i jump that fence:)

Long and short of it all, i've chosen a device that completely works for ME at this point in time - and whether its the most popular or least popular, whats important is that it does what i need it for on a daily basis :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW