This is bad.

My Contacts has a "Home" address. It is correct in contacts as well as on the iCloud. It's written as "Home".

I'm on the road today in Astoria, Queens, NYC and asked Siri to "Navigate, Home"

She found the correct contact in my list and opened the map app to start a navigate to the address.

She then sent me to the correct street and house number, except a nearby town 5 miles away.

I then tried to force the correct navigation by clearing the route, starting a new navigation and manually typing in the correct address.

Maps then navigated to the same incorrect town, ignoring the manual data entry.

So totally useless.

Hope they throw some folks at this cause it's bad.

SB
    09-28-2012 03:48 PM
    When I was out, I said " Take me Home" not just home.

Home can mean anything. establishing "My Home" it links that relationship and mine worked with out issue.

Driving 5 miles out of the way, did you check the route ahead of time. I do that even with normal direction before my car moves any where.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-28-2012 03:54 PM
    ...(snipped)...
    Driving 5 miles out of the way, did you check the route ahead of time. I do that even with normal direction before my car moves any where.
    +1....I do the exact same thing, just in case...
    09-28-2012 04:02 PM
    I've had this happen on a Garmin Nuvi quite a few times. Also the Navtec app which is my go to Nav app. They all have issues.
    09-28-2012 04:35 PM
    To be clear, this was a test of the navigate function in Apple maps. I knew the route home and did not follow the incorrect directions. I was merely finding out if Maps knew the route home and could Siri make the correct link.

She could not. The Siri prompt I got showed on screen that Siri had found the correct address and town, but then had Maps navigate to a wrong town, yet correct address.

Just for giggles I just deleted my Home contact and re-entered. While in Contacts and viewing that address, pressing the address launches Maps, which then shows me in the wrong town, correct address, so obviously there's a disconnect between what address it sees in Contacts, and where Maps will show it.

OK, so then I deleted that Home contact again, re-booted the friggin phone, went into Maps, found myself on Maps via a GPS fix, added the location as a new contact called Home. Typed in the correct address and saved. So in contacts, my Home address is correct. I press on the address and it thinks that address is 5 miles away.

Not happy

SB
    Last edited by Lightingguy55; 09-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    09-28-2012 04:35 PM
    This isn't news that there are issues.... Check all the press on this (including Tim Cooks apology).

What's the point here?
    09-28-2012 08:56 PM
    Sorry but I have used Maps several times in the past few days while I was traveling for business. It was perfect every time I used it. Now I did not access it by Siri but through my address book, but very time it took me exactly where I was going. YMMV of course and obviously has.:o
    09-28-2012 10:05 PM
    Also as a side note I added my address to my contacts in the address field. Now I just speak normally to Siri and say "take me home" and she follows instructions. Like the previous poster I've not been having problems with maps lately at all, even the POI database seems worlds better. I'm sure it will come around if people haven't already written it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-28-2012 10:42 PM
    I hope your issue gets resolved. I haven't had any problems with the new Maps app.
    09-29-2012 07:40 AM
    The point is that the minute you do a navigate that is wrong, you never trust the device to attempt it again, especially to a location you are not familiar with.

Thus while what you say is true, that it's been documented that there are problems, I assumed that I could probably get away with using it in the NYC area, where there might be fewer issues. I think part of my brain was assuming that the problems would be with the maps and database as provided by TomTom, that would have errors in more remote area's. I assumed this because I am aware that all the map manufacturers have folks that field check and generate the mapping data and that in the fringes. the data might not always be correct. But a large urban area such as NYC ?. That surprised me.

As well, the problem runs deeper then potential errors in the TomTom data base. I did a GPS fix and used the Apple software to add that location to contacts. Once saved, the software could not connect to that GPS location to find it again. That's troubling and points to deeper issue with the map app., in my opinion, that may well be harder to get fixed. Not sure though.

I will use maps again, but not for a while and not until after they've issued a lot of fixes.

SB
    09-29-2012 09:09 AM
    Hopefully people are using "report a problem" to their advantage.
    09-29-2012 09:16 AM
    I mapped out a grocery store. It navigated me to a new one. I figured it would be much closer than the location I knew of 10 mins away. 30 minutes later, I knew I should have just gone to the location I knew of. I found two new restaurants which made me happy. (only ate at one
    09-29-2012 09:57 AM
    Was in upstate NY this weekend on a fishing trip and had to get to a Walmart. Apple Nav told me I reached destination while I was on the interstate. WTF. Luckily it was one exit down. Looks like I will still be using my Garmin on trips.
    10-01-2012 10:29 AM
    Over pass maybe. I have had that happen with all GPS. As my location was below me.... But did not exit yet.
    10-01-2012 10:33 AM
    luckily i'm still enjoying my google maps
    Nanci likes this.
    10-01-2012 10:35 AM
    When I was out, I said " Take me Home" not just home.

Home can mean anything. establishing "My Home" it links that relationship and mine worked with out issue.

This is true that you have to establish that "LINK" to your home and not just use one word. I also check the route as well.
    +1....I do the exact same thing, just in case...
    If you are not checking the route in advance as I do with a 3rd party be it Mapquest or something else especially a long route, then if you are goingto far our of direction, Who do you blame for that? In other words I agree with my 2 fellow posters here.
    10-01-2012 03:15 PM
    If you read the verbage that Tim Cook the CEO of Apple has now put on Apple to let everyone know and this is true, The more you use Maps and the more you look up as well as take advantage of reporting bugs, The more that the NEW MAPS will improve and that Apple can work on it. I would gurantee that on the next update if it is IOS 6.1 we will alll see maps improve drstically just because this is Apple and the way it works.

When the CEO apologizes and recognizes problems that says alot about a company in my book.

EDIT: This post answer in mainly for the OP!
    10-01-2012 03:19 PM
    I don't know why.
    10-02-2012 04:57 AM
    Good oneMaps ARE bad !-mad-magazine-newyorker-view2-2012.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MAD-Magazine-NewYorker-View2-2012.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	20300
    10-03-2012 01:52 PM
    This is bad.

My Contacts has a "Home" address. It is correct in contacts as well as on the iCloud. It's written as "Home".

I'm on the road today in Astoria, Queens, NYC and asked Siri to "Navigate, Home"

She found the correct contact in my list and opened the map app to start a navigate to the address.

She then sent me to the correct street and house number, except a nearby town 5 miles away.

I then tried to force the correct navigation by clearing the route, starting a new navigation and manually typing in the correct address.

So totally useless.

SB
    This is the difference between what Apple is doing about their new Mapping App that everyone is complaining about and being Proactive about a solution as opposed to other companies that would not go this far:

Please read this link to the story just posted on the front of iMore:

Apple retail employees reportedly taking to the streets to help fix iOS 6 Maps | iMore.com
    10-03-2012 03:14 PM
    This is the difference between what Apple is doing about their new Mapping App that everyone is complaining about and being Proactive about a solution as opposed to other companies that would not go this far:

Please read this link to the story just posted on the front of iMore:

Apple retail employees reportedly taking to the streets to help fix iOS 6 Maps | iMore.com
    You mean unloading it on untrained grunt employees who probably already have enough to do? If Apple was serious, they'd have a dedicated team for Maps.

The current Maps should be called Mosaic trying to manage together all the pieces and parts.

Doesn't matter too much since I don't really use Apple Maps much. The concern is that this will become the standard at Apple. This is exactly what we criticized others for doing. It's pretty unApple. If you're going to take that plunge, do it right.
    10-04-2012 06:53 PM
    I actually trust Apple more then Google to get things correct. I've used Android devices for 2-1/2 years now, using the maps extensively. There are ton's of known errors in Google Maps, I've found and reported 3 alone in my little neck of the woods. There's an easy "report-an-error" system, but Google NEVER tells you when the error is fixed, you get to learn that for yourself and the fixes take months. Google has somehow managed to massage any bad press about the mistakes. In defense though, they have a huge data base in their search engine that is unequaled, as well they give the map away free to developers, so there are ton's of app's out there that do a lot of good things, sometimes with all the associated errors. Apple has a lot to do to catch up, but they do do things right, in time.

I'm not giving up on maps, but will wait till they issue some updates.

---------- Post Merged at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:31 AM ----------

You mean unloading it on untrained grunt employees who probably already have enough to do? If Apple was serious, they'd have a dedicated team for Maps.
    t.
    Yeah, this surprised me. They intend to use the store employees to help check the database ?.

Where's TomTom ?.

One of the the things that has me baffled is TomTom has had GPS devices in the market(s) for years (US and overseas). I cannot imagine that there are this many errors in their data base, as that would have been common knowledge long ago. TomTom is one of the big 3 GPS companies, they've become a good competitor to Garmin, who used to own the market. If Apple is really using TomTom as the primary map database, why suddenly all the errors ?. Or is there something else going on ?. Mapping errors are one thing. Search engine based errors are another (that's Yelp ?). We seem to be seeing errors in both.

Odd

SB
    10-04-2012 08:38 PM

One of the the things that has me baffled is TomTom has had GPS devices in the market(s) for years (US and overseas). I cannot imagine that there are this many errors in their data base, as that would have been common knowledge long ago. TomTom is one of the big 3 GPS companies, they've become a good competitor to Garmin, who used to own the market. If Apple is really using TomTom as the primary map database, why suddenly all the errors ?. Or is there something else going on ?. Mapping errors are one thing. Search engine based errors are another (that's Yelp ?). We seem to be seeing errors in both.

Odd

SB
    The prevailing theory seems to be that Apple just hasn't managed to input all the data from their various sources just yet. It seems that map data comes in all different formats, be it from TT, Yelp, Open Table, Open Street Map etc., etc. There has to be some sort of conversion done for the data to be correctly represented.Apparently, even data from the same source frequently needs different conversion processes. Basically, the data has to be massaged, and that's a tedious process. Regardless, whether Apple maps was released this year, or the next, or the year after that, at launch it was never going to be as Google maps. There's a large crowdsourcing aspect to maps, and you don't get that until you launch the product and go through some growing pains. That said, I believe if Apple wants to remain competitive in this arena, they need to devote more resources to it. Flyover is nice and it's pretty, but it's nowhere near as useful as Streetview. Apple should seriously consider doing what Google did, send out thousands of employees with cars and cameras to create their own version of Streetview.

I have to admit, until recently, I never really gave much thought to maps. It was just there and when I needed it, I used it. When I was driving, I used a Garmin because neither my iPhone or iPad had turn-by-turn directions. I rarely used public transit, and when I did, I used public transit apps, not Google maps because I could see the route. I now realize maps is must have feature in a smartphone. What I use it for presently is very basic, but I can easily envision developments in the very near future that will make much more use of maps. Geofencing is already here, and it's only a matter of time before it becomes even more prevalent as developers create more and more interesting ways to use it. At present, it seems my Starbucks card will automatically pop up onto the lockscreen when I enter one, that's actually a silly feature for now, but I can easily see that grow to being something very powerful as more companies sign up for Passbook. I think Apple breaking with Google on maps is a positive thing. Surely there are growing pains, but once things get better, it will provide much more functionality than ever before, since Google will no longer be able constrain what is possible on iOS in favor of Android.
    10-05-2012 02:08 AM

The current Maps should be called Mosaic trying to manage together all the pieces and parts.

Doesn't matter too much since I don't really use Apple Maps much. The concern is that this will become the standard at Apple. This is exactly what we criticized others for doing. It's pretty unApple. If you're going to take that plunge, do it right.
    They actually do have a dedicated Maps Team. If you read the article where it talks about the info gathered by the store emploee teams are sent via a dedicated intranet to Apple and then Apple takes that info and uses it I am sure withthe people they have designated at Apple to make the info accurate along with the 3rd party companies like Tom Tom. I don't know what else you can expect from Apple. At least this is better than doing nothing. This is very typical of Apple to admit their mistakes and fix them.
    10-05-2012 08:13 AM
    This is bad.

So totally useless.

SB
    I tried it today. Told Siri to "Take me home". Flawless three times.
    10-06-2012 12:11 AM
26 12