4S Memory Drop

Bengalfan1

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is something I noticed. I have a 4S and I received the notification for downloading IOS 6 this week. Then the next day I noticed my memory dropped 1.4 GB. I assume the phone is partitioning this memory for the IOS 6 download. However I probably will not download IOS 6 because my phone works so well on 5.1.1. Down the road if I ever need this 1.4 GB of memory is there a way to repartition the memory and gain access to it again?

Yjaybrooks

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the only way of repartition the memory gain is getting rid of some apps you don't use often ,some pictures you don't care about or taking out some music you don't care to listen too

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Here is something I noticed. I have a 4S and I received the notification for downloading IOS 6 this week. Then the next day I noticed my memory dropped 1.4 GB. I assume the phone is partitioning this memory for the IOS 6 download. However I probably will not download IOS 6 because my phone works so well on 5.1.1. Down the road if I ever need this 1.4 GB of memory is there a way to repartition the memory and gain access to it again?

the drop you see is the software update sitting on your phone, and there is no way to get rid of it unless you update. I'm also still on ios5 and right now dont plan on updating, so i have that sitting on my phone as well too:p

When you usb to iTunes to do a back up, you will also see an increase in the "other" section as well, because this is where it reflects the size of the iOS update file.

Also, as suggested by Yjay, if you really need to claim back some of that 1.4gb, you could delete some things off of your phone. I still have 10GB's avail, so the amount of room its taking up on my phone doesnt affect me as of now.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Of course, if your phone was jailbroken, you could just delete the update files and prevent it from downloading again.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
the drop you see is the software update sitting on your phone, and there is no way to get rid of it unless you update. I'm also still on ios5 and right now dont plan on updating, so i have that sitting on my phone as well too:p

When you usb to iTunes to do a back up, you will also see an increase in the "other" section as well, because this is where it reflects the size of the iOS update file.

Also, as suggested by Yjay, if you really need to claim back some of that 1.4gb, you could delete some things off of your phone. I still have 10GB's avail, so the amount of room its taking up on my phone doesnt affect me as of now.

Pink,
Although I already read your answer and I would like you to confirm something for me please. If I were to hook up to iTunes with my 4S and when ir pops up the box to download the software update before I do anything else in iTunes and hit the cancel button... Does it still partition the phone because I have seen no memory drop at all and would be curious for future reference.

Thank you for the help in the forums by the way :D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink,
Although I already read your answer and I would like you to confirm something for me please. If I were to hook up to iTunes with my 4S and when ir pops up the box to download the software update before I do anything else in iTunes and hit the cancel button... Does it still partition the phone because I have seen no memory drop at all and would be curious for future reference.

Thank you for the help in the forums by the way :D
Alright Jag, ya kiinda confuzzled me with this post lol. So i'm gonna answer it the best i can. Now according to your profile here,it appears you have iOS6 installed on your phone, correct?
SO, with that being said: 1) in your settings icon, you no longer have the little "1" signifying that there is an update sitting on your phone so it is no longer stored and 2) you've done the install, so the old iOS5 that was on your phone has been removed and replaced with iOS6. With that, the iOS takes up a certain amount of room on your phone - now, i can use mine as an example. I have a 16gb, but in reality only 13.56gb is avail because of the iOS taking up room, along with the stock icons/programs. If i'm not mistaken, iOS6 has over 200+ features added in it, SO now if you have a 16GB phone, then after iOS6 is installed because its a bigger iOS, maybe then only 12.50gb or 13gbs are really avail. Again i'm just specultaing on ios size here because idk how much room ios6 takes up compared to ios5.

Now, when you usb to itunes, the section "other" will reflect data that is stored on your phone from your contacts, notes, saved game progress, etc. things of that nature. Because you no longer have the iOS6 update sitting on your phone, it will not be reflected in the "other" category anymore.

So, i hope that answered your question :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Alright Jag, ya kiinda confuzzled me with this post lol. So i'm gonna answer it the best i can. Now according to your profile here,it appears you have iOS6 installed on your phone, correct?
SO, with that being said: 1) in your settings icon, you no longer have the little "1" signifying that there is an update sitting on your phone so it is no longer stored and 2) you've done the install, so the old iOS5 that was on your phone has been removed and replaced with iOS6. With that, the iOS takes up a certain amount of room on your phone - now, i can use mine as an example. I have a 16gb, but in reality only 13.56gb is avail because of the iOS taking up room, along with the stock icons/programs. If i'm not mistaken, iOS6 has over 200+ features added in it, SO now if you have a 16GB phone, then after iOS6 is installed because its a bigger iOS, maybe then only 12.50gb or 13gbs are really avail. Again i'm just specultaing on ios size here because idk how much room ios6 takes up compared to ios5.

Now, when you usb to itunes, the section "other" will reflect data that is stored on your phone from your contacts, notes, saved game progress, etc. things of that nature. Because you no longer have the iOS6 update sitting on your phone, it will not be reflected in the "other" category anymore.

So, i hope that answered your question :)

Sorry about the confusing post to you, That was not my intention... I did indeed jump into the pool of updating to IOS 6 and am quite happy with it. No matter what phones I have ever owned BlackBerry and now Iphone 4S 16GB I have been lucky when updating the OS not to have trouble or problems. Having said that I was interested in your take on the use of iPhone memory as I am not an expert and want to become one...LOL just like you...:D so I was asking the question to be able to tell a few co-workers that are iPhone 4S owners on the edge of updating. I was very happy with 5.1.1 and just as happy with 6.0.

I also only use apps I need for work and personal, I don't push limits and never JB. I stay conservative and don't push my phone to the limits. Wraping this long answer up thank you for the help and you answered just fine. I always appreciate someone helping me. I don't know everything and that is why I am here.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about the confusing post to you, That was not my intention... I did indeed jump into the pool of updating to IOS 6 and am quite happy with it. No matter what phones I have ever owned BlackBerry and now Iphone 4S 16GB I have been lucky when updating the OS not to have trouble or problems. Having said that I was interested in your take on the use of iPhone memory as I am not an expert and want to become one...LOL just like you...:D so I was asking the question to be able to tell a few co-workers that are iPhone 4S owners on the edge of updating. I was very happy with 5.1.1 and just as happy with 6.0.

I also only use apps I need for work and personal, I don't push limits and never JB. I stay conservative and don't push my phone to the limits. Wraping this long answer up thank you for the help and you answered just fine. I always appreciate someone helping me. I don't know everything and that is why I am here.
oh yw, and np. thx for the compliment on being an "expert" lol. I know what i need to, but there are some members around here that could run cirlces around me with the knowledge they have:)

I also dont push the limits with my phone either, and have never jb. In fact, i really wouldnt even know where to start with jb'ing an iphone!!

Glad i was able to help you out with what you were looking for:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73