Flight of stairs meet Otterbox

Gprice1148

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Well dropped my iphone down a flight of stairs today. I have a HUGE otterbox on it and when i picked it up the back glass was shattered and as i pulled the case off the back came with it. My power button does not work and the phone is off. I go to plug it into the computer and the apple symbol comes up for a few seconds then goes off and repeat. I'm pretty sure its' done for, but if I could save it that would be awesome. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Quick Run Down:
-Power button doesn't work
-Glass is off the back
-Oh yeah it fell down a flight of stairs
-Phone is off
-When plugged into a computer it shows the apple symbol for about 5 seconds and then turns off and repeats.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well dropped my iphone down a flight of stairs today. I have a HUGE otterbox on it and when i picked it up the back glass was shattered and as i pulled the case off the back came with it. My power button does not work and the phone is off. I go to plug it into the computer and the apple symbol comes up for a few seconds then goes off and repeat. I'm pretty sure its' done for, but if I could save it that would be awesome. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Quick Run Down:
-Power button doesn't work
-Glass is off the back
-Oh yeah it fell down a flight of stairs
-Phone is off
-When plugged into a computer it shows the apple symbol for about 5 seconds and then turns off and repeats.

Sorry to hear that dude. Sounds like the device is shot. Do you have insurance on the phone? Might have to get it replaced.

Sent from my 4s using Tapatalk

Rnkriis

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hard to believe your phones in that bad of condition with an Otterbox on it!!!! I've done a lot worse to mine than falling down a flight of stairs and when I take it out of the case the phone looks brand new.
Are you sure it's a real Otterbox and not a knock off?

Gprice1148

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I hold the button down and it goes into restore mode. I plug it into the computer and itunes recognizes it in restoration mode. It extracts the software and as it begins to prepare the phone for restoration. it gives me error 21.

Apple states this as:
These errors typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, these errors may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
You know what, the Defender case is not all that its cracked up to be. I got one for my wifes 4S. She dropped it in the restroom and it cracked the back, 2 straight lines across and the screen went blank. Good thing it wasn't bad for the screen. It was just disconnected, probably from the drop. The back was easily replaced and I got rid of the defender case. Got her a commuter case and I have to say it's much better than the defender case. The phone doesn't sit in super snug in the defender like it should which is why what happened to your phone happened. If you don't have insurance, find a local shop that may be able to salvage it for you if the price is right.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That's strange I have seen those things dropped off roofs and not break if it wasn't fitting snug I would say maybe you got a bad case I have one right here and it fits tight .. I wouldn't throw it off a roof but some stairs I know it wouldn't have the kind of damage the op described .. I trust it so much I have it on a iPhone 4 that's my 2 year olds to watch movies etc and if it hasn't broke yet I'm sold lol

Maybe a faulty case or something but damage is done bit I'm sure or can be fixed

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear what happened to your phone, thats just crazy. There are soooo many people that rely on the protection of the OB defender - i actually used to be one of them. Since getting my BookBook almost 2mths ago, prior to that i stopped using defenders. I have tried the Griffin survivor as well, and personally I feel that it would offer better proctection that an OB. I wonder did you receive a defective case and not know it ??? ]

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear what happened to your phone, thats just crazy. There are soooo many people that rely on the protection of the OB defender - i actually used to be one of them. Since getting my BookBook almost 2mths ago, prior to that i stopped using defenders. I have tried the Griffin survivor as well, and personally I feel that it would offer better proctection that an OB. I wonder did you receive a defective case and not know it ??? ]

The reason I think defective is on a otterbox the power button sits below the plastic housing and is pressed by the rubber cover only .. How would the power button break ?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Very very odd.

Being involved in emergency services, I beat the living hell out of my devices. I use an OtterBox Defender. It has dropped from the drop of a Engine. Ladder/Roof. It has gotten very very damp in side my gear and it still works. Looks mint when I take it out, besides a few dust bunnies. So 10 stairs I would not think this would happen...

Again... My device is put through more then what any one would do. and it holds up.. Yes I have gotten replacement skins, as they do stretch after some time. But phone is intact in the case.

Oh here is Otterbox Legal mumbo jumbo if you needed it.

OtterBox Limited Warranty

Otter Products, LLC and its affiliated companies worldwide (“OtterBox”) warrants our OtterBox products against defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase of the product by a consumer (the “Warranty Period”). OtterBox does not warrant, and is not responsible for, any smart phone or other device made by anyone other than OtterBox. If a material or workmanship defect arises with regard to any OtterBox product, and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, OtterBox will (i) repair the OtterBox product using new or refurbished parts or (ii) replace the OtterBox product with a new or refurbished OtterBox product. For purposes of this limited warranty, “refurbished” means a product or part that has been substantially returned to its original specifications. In the event of a defect, these are your exclusive remedies.
Exclusions and Limitations

Except for the limited warranty expressly set forth above or to the extent restricted or prohibited by applicable law, OtterBox expressly disclaims any and all other warranties express or implied, including any warranty of quality, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose, and you specifically agree that OtterBox shall not be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, punitive, or consequential damages for breach of any warranty of any type on this product. In addition to and without limiting the generality of the foregoing disclaimers, the limited warranty does not, under any circumstances, cover the replacement or cost of any electronic device or personal property inside or outside of the product.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

I've never heard of so much damage to a phone in a protective case. I agree there is a strong possibility the case may be defective. I've used the OB Defender and was glad I had it when I dropped my phone on a concrete driveway. I now use the mophie juice pack PRO because of the extra battery.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Question. Did you buy your Defender from Otterbox, your carrier store, or an electronics store? If not, it's most likely not a real OtterBox and that's why your phone broke. The ones you get on eBay and from mall kiosks are often times knockoffs and aren't made from the same, high quality plastic that the real cases are.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2