Anyone here notice the complaints coming in from 5 buyers? Is it just me or was the change to aluminum seem obvious to get a lot of damage?
    09-22-2012 08:34 PM
    There will be complaints regarding any new device. All of the newer devices will not be perfect and without blemish. Furthermore, a small percentage of customer will have to return/replace their new device and many of those people end up being satisfied customers afterwards. This happens with almost every launch. It goes with the territory.
    09-22-2012 08:43 PM
    There is a video on ifixit where they do a scratch test with a 2 year old and a set of keys rubbed against the 5 and the 4/4s and also a stainless steel ring. iPhone 4/4s wins hands downs. The 5 was beat to hell.The 4 sustain no noticeable damage.
    09-22-2012 10:38 PM
    Not what I wanted to hear. I wonder if it as to do with the weight. Thinner materials, maybe.
    09-25-2012 11:12 PM
    They way I look at it if I was the kind of person who dropped my phone a lot I would rather have a beat up back that's made of metal then shatter my 4s all the time

Just to note I have never dropped of broke any of my iPhones lol

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !
    09-25-2012 11:34 PM
    I've had every version of iPhone except the 5. The original iPhone metal back never used a case still have it. After 5 years and 2 in the field the back is beat up. The screen looks brand new because I always used a screen protector.

The 3Gs I had. Plastic back. Now I got most of the back casing wear from a case. Debris would get caught between the case and phone and scratch the hell out of it.

The 4s I have now has been in a case from day one. I use a mophie when I travel and a case crown when I'm home. I periodically check it for any wear from the cases and there is none that I can see. I see a bunch of 4/4s out there with shattered backs.

One thing about the original iPhone is that the bezel around the screen which I assuming is metal held up incredibly well for never having it in a case. No dings or scratches and this phone was dropped quite a few times mostly by folks wanting to see it when it first came out.
    Last edited by iEd; 09-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    09-26-2012 12:11 AM
    There's definitely a defect in the anodized coating since so many people are finding them chipped out of the box.. I'm glad I waited, cue fanboys to tell us chipped/dented/scratched phones are normal out of the box in 3,2,1...
    09-26-2012 02:06 AM
    I'm anxious to see how the iPhone 5 will hold over time specifically the black one which is the one I absolutely love because of the black bands. I wonder if the color coating doesn't hold up will Apple go back to silver bands on the black model on the next model.
    09-26-2012 10:26 AM
    There's definitely a defect in the anodized coating since so many people are finding them chipped out of the box.. I'm glad I waited, cue fanboys to tell us chipped/dented/scratched phones are normal out of the box in 3,2,1...
    lol, actually it will be called the new look - "distressed"
    09-26-2012 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD