iPhone 4s not powering on

smallfry341

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased an iPhone 4s to fix up and use for myself. It does not power up and has a cracked front and back from being dropped. I have checked for water damage and there was none, I have replaced the battery and still nothing, I have plugged it into the PC and tried a hard reset by holding both buttons for 10 seconds and it never even appeared in iTunes. It is obvious that the charging port has been replaced recently. I do not know if this was an unsuccessful attempt to repair the problem or if it fixed it and now something else is wrong.

This problem is made worse by not knowing the history of the phone but any help would be much appreciated.

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend heading down to the Apple Store. If it was purchased from an authorized reseller, you should be covered with some warranty still. They may not replace it since you've replaced the battery.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Does it have water stickers ? Or we're they removed ? Check connections on board from battery to power connector also make sure board seated correctly not grounding out or something

smallfry341

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Does it have water stickers ? Or we're they removed ? Check connections on board from battery to power connector also make sure board seated correctly not grounding out or something
The water indicators are there and are a solid white color. I have double checked all of the connections to the mother board and all seem to be secure. The motherboard is set in nicely with no missing screws or wiggle to it.

Also as a response to Applecpugeek: Im sure it is not under any warranty so the apple store/genius bar is sadly out of the question :-(

TNScrambler

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The water indicators are there and are a solid white color. I have double checked all of the connections to the mother board and all seem to be secure. The motherboard is set in nicely with no missing screws or wiggle to it.

Also as a response to Applecpugeek: Im sure it is not under any warranty so the apple store/genius bar is sadly out of the question :-(

you said earlier that it looked like the dock connector had been replaced....what is your reason for thinking that? Did it look "tampered" with?

Does it power on if you plug it directly into the wall charger (not computer usb)?

Justin

smallfry341

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
you said earlier that it looked like the dock connector had been replaced....what is your reason for thinking that? Did it look "tampered" with?

Does it power on if you plug it directly into the wall charger (not computer usb)?

Justin
The dock connector is brand new. It has NO dust or pocket link in it at all. I have replaced the dock assembly on an iPhone 4 before and have a clear mental picture of the before and after. Also,where the ribbon cable bends up and around the speaker assembly is an adhesive tab that has not been pulled off to expose the new adhesive.

In an odd turn of events I tried a third 4s battery and the phone powered right up, no problems. But it does not charge (probably why the other two batteries had no effect) and the phone overheats in about 90 seconds of just having the screen on. No applications running, location services, or push notifications active. It does no appear in iTunes.

Now I need to know how to fix the overheating and charging problems :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2