wow! this 4S in my hand is feeling pretty dated right now

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
this is one of THE best threads I have ever read on a mobile nations forum. Usually there is so much bashing and stupid name calling when it comes to different devices. this was incredibly constructive, I feel proud lol
:)i agree, i've been keeping up reading through this thread as well and its so nice to see people acting like.....well....humans and not bashing each other:)

Shut up...idiot.
lol he is just kidding guys
I wasn't kidding...i hate you. Or maybe i love you...i can't remember.

At any rate...carry on...

LoL, you guys are too much!! :p

BLiNK it seems your getting some really good feed back on the SG3;):)

(btw, i've been wanting to step into VzW myself just to check it out as well;) )

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Played with SG3 today at a vzw store... Let's just say I'll be sticking to iPhones :) I find the GS3 to be inferior to a GNex even. Too big. Quality felt ok. User experience/interface not as good as stock JB 4.1.1 on a GNex. Just my opinion.

Roose00

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I also finally got into the store today to play with one. wasnt too busy, so I was that guy who shoo-ed away the VZW employees and played with the phone for 25 mins lol

When I first picked it up...WOW gorgeous, huge display. The phone also felt good in the hand (the iphone feels a bit small for me). Everything worked really smoothly as far as scrolling and opening apps. There was lag when hitting the home button (this does happy with the iphone too).

I noticed that there were easily 100 apps downloaded on to this model, and out of the 4 models they had on the floor, it was the only one working :eek:. yeah...

SO it was no faster than the iphone, thats for sure. the keyboard is eaiser to use for my hands. I will wait and look at it again when JB hits for it (usually takes VZW an eternity) and also try to find another model without so many apps loaded on it. See if that does anything.

overall some really neat stuff. I wish I got to see the lock screen, but VZW has some sort of program that runs whenever its locked, the normal "try this" menu stuff. But alas, no quicker in and out of apps or loading apps than the iphone. It did have full 4g so browser was quick, but I use my iphone so much on wifi that it didnt knock my socks off.

Roose00

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i am with you. in fact this is what has driven me to handle my notifications completely different than i ever thought i would

most of my notifications are setup for Badge only - Sound > OFF, LockScreen > OFF and Notification Center > ON. i check my notifications when i feel like it

I was just thinking about doing the same thing today, since I was on stock for a bit. alas I JB'd it to mess it up again :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Played with SG3 today at a vzw store... Let's just say I'll be sticking to iPhones :) I find the GS3 to be inferior to a GNex even. Too big. Quality felt ok. User experience/interface not as good as stock JB 4.1.1 on a GNex. Just my opinion.

it was very difficult for me to honestly judge because i was constantly comparing to what i am used too

do you think it would be a great device for someone just starting out with a smartphone?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
it was very difficult for me to honestly judge because i was constantly comparing to what i am used too

do you think it would be a great device for someone just starting out with a smartphone?

That's a common thing. From phones to video games. Look at it for what it is in and of itself without regard to anything else. That's the best way to look at something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That's a common thing. From phones to video games. Look at it for what it is in and of itself without regard to anything else. That's the best way to look at something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I switched from my 4S to an S3 I ABSOLUTELY HATED the S3. At first. It was just so different from what I was used to, even though I've used numerous Android phones before. Now that I've given it about a month, I definitely like it. It's a great phone. Very little, if any, lag. No restarts, etc. None of the token Android issues were present. You gotta get out of your comfort zone and take it for what it is, and what it isn't, which is an Android phone and not an iPhone.

I'm still strongly considering going back to iOS with the 5, but it's not a complete lock as of yet.

Just a quick story as to why it just depends on the person as to what phone suits you. I have a very good friend who's been all Apple all the time for at least 5 years. He's used every iPhone. His wife has one, his daughter has one. They have two iPads, a MacBook, a Mac Mini, an Apple TV, and I think that's it. He recently switched to an S3 just to give it a shot. He absolutely loves it. He's claiming until iOS provides some additional features, he isn't going back to that for his phone.

I've been more open minded in the past, switching from iOS to Android and vice versa, and I'm the one who is looking at going back to iOS. Mr. Apple, as I called him in the past, is sticking to Android for his phone.

It's really all a personal preference. If you want to give it a shot, just make sure that you give it more than 2 days. It takes a few weeks to get used to it to see if it's what you really want.

Bushido

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I went from iPhone to Android and loving it. Android feels more like a personal computer than the iPhone did. When people ask me what to recommend, I still tell most first time smartphone owner an iPhone though. iPhone is easier to use but for those who like customizing for your use, Android better. I use to jailbreak my iPhone so do like tinkering here and there.

For the person who said it's easier to do stuff on iPhone than Android, what exactly? You can customize Android to do anything faster. Out of the box, however, iPhone seem more feature packed. After customizing and playing around with Android for a while though, you find so many ways of doing things making it so much faster and convenient.

Will I go back to iPhone? If compelling enough change, ofcourse. I'm a tech fan first and foremost, I don't care about the companies. I spent over $100-200 on apps on iPhone and have no regret with the change. Only spent about $6 on Google Play so far and it's all I need. Only thing I miss is Tweetbot. There just isn't a Twitter app on Google Play that matches it but TweetCaster comes closest.

There isn't a right and wrong way. I find people in both camps too hung up on "what's better" but there isn't a clear cut answer. What's better? A Hummer or a sports car? Depends on what you like and what you using it for. Everyone needs and wants are different.

My setup now:
Computer - Windows
Phone - Android
Tablet - iOS <-- may switch to Windows RT if comes with Microsoft Office out of box

I feel Apple losing it's luster for a while now but hope it improves, just like I hope all companies improve. Competition is good for the consumers.

briankariu

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
My aunt has an iPhone and I have a HTC one X so I regularly play with the iPhone 4 and vice-versa.
On one hand, the screen on the iPhone is soo tiny but amazingly the keyboard works better than my HTC. After using it for a couple of hours, you don't see how small the screen is but once I get my HTC back am like wow....this screen is massive
On matter of cost, I have used maybe 40dollars on the upper side for all app I have ever purchased on the play store. This includes in-app purchases. My aunt stopped counting after she hit about 150dollars. And that was after 3-4months after she got her iphone
When it comes to cohesiveness, the iPhone wins. but my HTC feels more of a smartphone compared to the iPhone. I can simply upload any picture from my gallery and bluetooth sharing works!!! This is one of the weirdest thing I found about iOS. Not to be offensive but iOS seems "dumber"
All in all, iOS is something I would recommend to my tech-challenged Mom, or someone who is new to smartphones. Android is what I would recommend to someone who wants stuff done in a certain way

**P.S I truly hate how Apple implements the notification bar in the OS. It breaks from the aesthetics of the entire OS and feels like an intrusion. Plus EVERY app sends me notifications and ads on my notification bar!!!! I hate that. Notification bar should be reserved for something important

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
My aunt has an iPhone and I have a HTC one X so I regularly play with the iPhone 4 and vice-versa.
On one hand, the screen on the iPhone is soo tiny but amazingly the keyboard works better than my HTC. After using it for a couple of hours, you don't see how small the screen is but once I get my HTC back am like wow....this screen is massive
On matter of cost, I have used maybe 40dollars on the upper side for all app I have ever purchased on the play store. This includes in-app purchases. My aunt stopped counting after she hit about 150dollars. And that was after 3-4months after she got her iphone
When it comes to cohesiveness, the iPhone wins. but my HTC feels more of a smartphone compared to the iPhone. I can simply upload any picture from my gallery and bluetooth sharing works!!! This is one of the weirdest thing I found about iOS. Not to be offensive but iOS seems "dumber"
All in all, iOS is something I would recommend to my tech-challenged Mom, or someone who is new to smartphones. Android is what I would recommend to someone who wants stuff done in a certain way

**P.S I truly hate how Apple implements the notification bar in the OS. It breaks from the aesthetics of the entire OS and feels like an intrusion. Plus EVERY app sends me notifications and ads on my notification bar!!!! I hate that. Notification bar should be reserved for something important

Seems like you are unaware that app notifications can be disable quite easily in the settings. You can even adjust how and where the notification appears. The rest of your comments are subjective so I won't address those.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The iOS notification bar can be tailored to exactly what you want to see. You do not have to have every app notifying you. Please go to Settings>Notifications and adjust.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The iOS notification bar can be tailored to exactly what you want to see. You do not have to have every app notifying you. Please go to Settings>Notifications and adjust.

and in iOS, under "Sounds" a lot of the notification sounds can be tailored for many apps...

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Since deciding not to upgrade from my 4s to a 5, I've been on the hunt for an s3 all week. I just wanna try it since I hear the software now is more efficient and it has good battery life.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem with Android phones in general. In 3-5 months the S3 will be out-dated by something else. With the way Android updates its OS, it'll start getting severely glitchy and itchy after about 9-12 months and you'll be sitting there with a phone that may not work well until your 2 year obligation is up. I have a iPhone 4S (purchased on day 1) and have no need or desire to trade in for an iPhone 5. it worked great two weeks ago before the iP5 came out and will continue to do so for at least another year I'm sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative