wow! this 4S in my hand is feeling pretty dated right now

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from Droid Razr to iphone 4S. I was also I devoted Android user. The problem is that Google puts out updates to all the android phones and then lets each maker customize that update to their own specifications and there incurs that instabililty. I didn't know what to expect with iphone but I have been very please so far (3 weeks) I get everyone's comments about functioning right out of the box as soon as I turned it on it told me I had 4 pending invites. On android the whole invite to calendar thing was very confusing. I will probably (never say never) never go back just because apple had one chance to impress me and it did. No bugs, glitches etc...

good to know. thanks for chiming in! :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The only way I would get another Android phone is for it to be bundled with Jessica Biel.;)

Nice marketing idea.... but knowing Samsung, you'd just get a Jessica look-alike, not that it would be necessarily a bad thing :D

spcurtis81

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same. Bought the S3 and after about 2 weeks I took it back. Just wasn't the same. Our house is so automated in Apple and it just didn't feel the same.

I think with the number of quality apps out there you kind of end up buying into a brand these days. Once you have a few apps which are compatible across iPhones and iPads (often for one pay out), it's difficult to move away. I have an iPad and an iPod, so when moving way from my Blackberry, it made sense to get another Apple product as the apps were transferable. I just need to make the final jump to Mac and I'm done. :)

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I have the iPhone 4S and a Google Galaxy Nexus and must say hands down I prefer the iPhone 4S. I'm a tech guy, I love all the new toys and the software to go with them. I thought the bigger screen on the Nexus was nice, but the quality isn't that great. Also the phone was too big for my taste. I'm 5'11, pretty much average, and the phone just isn't comfortable for me to use, specially with one hand. With my iPhone it fits into my hand so well and I can use it with one hand as if it was an extension of my body. The Nexus I find I after have to use my other hand, even for simple task.

Also the UI for Android just isn't that consistent. Sometimes you have to click on things at the bottom, which you can generally do with your thumb, but other times, what you were clicking at the bottom is not on the top, far right, and it's either an awkward stretch to get to it or using your other hand.

The battery life isn't very good, no where near as long lasting as my iPhone. Also takes longer to recharge.

Jelly Bean is nice, and it's a vast improvement over Gingerbread, which I used on an old Android phone. It's definitely much smoother as well compared to ICS. I would say that it really just comes down to person preferences, and would try them both out as some people enjoy being able to almost completely customize their experience. Also Android is catching up in terms of having the mainstream apps, the only thing I haven't been able to find on Android is a decent Twitter app. I use Tweetbot on iOS, for Android I've tried the official twitter app, Tweet Lanes, Tweedle, Plume and don't like any of them.

I find when a new Android phone comes out, I'll want it, and then another one comes out and I'll want that one, etc. etc. :D It's much easier to getting a new iPhone every year, just sell the "old" one and that pays for most if not all of the upgrade cost. I purchased the Nexus from Google because I wanted updates as they were released and not having to wait months.

Other things I love about the iPhone is the amount of accessories that are available. All kinds of cases, car carriers, battery extenders, screen protectors. I like the Apple ecosystem and everything works between my MacBook, iPad, iPod with iCloud.

I would like to see the next iPhone have as nice a display as the HTC One X. If the HTC One X was available on the Google Play store, I would have purchased that phone just for the display. Two co-workers have that phone and it's just gorgeous.

Edit*

I hate the SMS default client in Android as well. It's so much better on iOS. And I can message my wife who's also using an iPhone with iMessage that works over wifi.

Last edited:

treoprouser13

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I sometimes also get bored with my 4s. I played around with a One X that my friend just got and it is a very nice device. The camera impressed me too. But as I fooled around with it, I just found too many quirks and inconsistencies with the operating system. There's something about it that feels a bit scattered and disorganized. Most won't mind that but having been an Apple user since 96, it was very apparent to me that I like things a certain way and apple has always been able to hit that spot with me.

That being said, I am intregued by the Lumina 920 that Nokia debuted but the recent stories of them faking images in an about about the camera performance took the shine off that one for me.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have the iPhone 4S and a Google Galaxy Nexus and must say hands down I prefer the iPhone 4S. I'm a tech guy, I love all the new toys and the software to go with them. I thought the bigger screen on the Nexus was nice, but the quality isn't that great. Also the phone was too big for my taste. I'm 5'11, pretty much average, and the phone just isn't comfortable for me to use, specially with one hand. With my iPhone it fits into my hand so well and I can use it with one hand as if it was an extension of my body. The Nexus I find I after have to use my other hand, even for simple task.

Also the UI for Android just isn't that consistent. Sometimes you have to click on things at the bottom, which you can generally do with your thumb, but other times, what you were clicking at the bottom is not on the top, far right, and it's either an awkward stretch to get to it or using your other hand.

The battery life isn't very good, no where near as long lasting as my iPhone. Also takes longer to recharge.

Jelly Bean is nice, and it's a vast improvement over Gingerbread, which I used on an old Android phone. It's definitely much smoother as well compared to ICS. I would say that it really just comes down to person preferences, and would try them both out as some people enjoy being able to almost completely customize their experience. Also Android is catching up in terms of having the mainstream apps, the only thing I haven't been able to find on Android is a decent Twitter app. I use Tweetbot on iOS, for Android I've tried the official twitter app, Tweet Lanes, Tweedle, Plume and don't like any of them.

I find when a new Android phone comes out, I'll want it, and then another one comes out and I'll want that one, etc. etc. :D It's much easier to getting a new iPhone every year, just sell the "old" one and that pays for most if not all of the upgrade cost. I purchased the Nexus from Google because I wanted updates as they were released and not having to wait months.

Other things I love about the iPhone is the amount of accessories that are available. All kinds of cases, car carriers, battery extenders, screen protectors. I like the Apple ecosystem and everything works between my MacBook, iPad, iPod with iCloud.

I would like to see the next iPhone have as nice a display as the HTC One X. If the HTC One X was available on the Google Play store, I would have purchased that phone just for the display. Two co-workers have that phone and it's just gorgeous.

Edit*

I hate the SMS default client in Android as well. It's so much better on iOS. And I can message my wife who's also using an iPhone with iMessage that works over wifi.

Ditto on the accessories.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I love the concept of Android, with it at least being an open-ish OS that talented people like those at Cyanogenmod and XDA can take and mod. That appeals to me as a geeky tech person. What I don't like is how the carriers and manufacturers take so long to put out the major updates (if they do at all, since there's really no revenue in it for them). I also don't like all the added junk that the carriers put on the devices that cannot be uninstalled without rooting/voiding the warranty. Apple is in control of the whole system. So you give up some flexibility and hackability, but you get updates in a timely fashion and usually across all relatively recent models at the same time. That just makes it easier for me, and I find myself less susceptible to the "gotta have the newest device because it's the only one with the updated OS" thought process.

Roose00

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
this is one of THE best threads I have ever read on a mobile nations forum. Usually there is so much bashing and stupid name calling when it comes to different devices. this was incredibly constructive, I feel proud lol

as for the topic. I am constantly drawn to new devices, and more importantly, customization and tinkering of devices. I have an old galaxy S that I have rooted and use ICS on and there is even JB available for it.

I do find iOS boring and really restrictive for "speed user." I say this because the keyboard is terrible and autocorrect is even worse. Not to mention not being able to have different notification sounds for any app. Sure developers can put in their own sounds, but they continually base it on the tri-tone (that sound is like nails on the chalkboard to me). In Android you are able to take advantage of the file system and sd card which is really helpful. iOS is indeed more smooth and is much more uniform. Some stock apps are better on apple for sure, if not less useful (mail, photos). Widgets are fun, but nothing more than that to me. Having an app launcher hidden away is awesome to me. Also being able to put apps where I want them and not to mention toggles in the notification pull down. WOW apple, where are you on this?

I could go on and on with stuff I like more or less. I do end up coming back to the 4s because it works better than the fascinate (it better!) and I also have a network of apple products/friends on iPhone. Not to mention I am a case junkie, and there is nothing better than owning an iphone for this purpose lol

I do constantly get drawn by the "neat" things that are offered in android, and I 100% believe that JB has eclipsed iOS. I say this because google is finally figuring out how to streamline the OS and making it smoother to use. They already have unbelievable hardware specs to pull along the OS.

Overall, I am very unhappy with how little Apple has been innovating with their OS. They only have 1 device a year and thats fine, but I think they need to push the bar on the software side. (if not make a different looking device once in a while :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have both a 4S and Galaxy Nexus as well. I bounce back and forth lately but always seem to migrate back to the 4S - fluidity of the OS/user interface. Even with 'project butter' on my GNex running JB 4.1.1 it still feels laggy often times. Keyboard and typing on iOS I find better.

I like the larger screen size and rounded back on the GNex but overall it's still a very big phone. Honestly I'd like something in between the GNex and 4S - hoping the iPhone 5 hits the spot.

The screen quality of the 4S is unmatched. The pentile Amoled on the GNex has nice saturation but that's it and that sometimes looks too much. Definitely lacks sharpness like the 4S's IPS panel. There are still times where I find the GNex screen more soothing for some reason.

I do wish iOS had better integration with other apps - such as sharing links and images - something Android definitely does better.

I like the notifications on Android - I find them less intrusive. The customization is nice - although as others said, it kicks my OCD in high gear sometimes ;) lol.

App support is less and less a dividing issue. Most of the best apps are available on both.

Features like iMessage and FaceTime are tough to beat if you have friends and family with iPhones and/or iPads. In addition to having a huge investment in iTunes and owning most Apple ecosystem products (MacBook pro, iPad 3, iPod, iPhone 4S, Apple TV 3).

But sometimes I just want something different. Been also using iPhones since 2007 and sometimes feels stale despite the evolution of iOS.

So I guess I'm on the fence as much as the OP lol. We'll see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table. Otherwise a GS3 does start to look tempting. Not to mention I need to switch from AT&T to Verizon soon...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this is one of THE best threads I have ever read on a mobile nations forum. Usually there is so much bashing and stupid name calling when it comes to different devices. this was incredibly constructive, I feel proud lol

yeah it is kind of shocking lol. hopefully the mods are happy about it too :)

Reactions: Roose00

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
yeah it is kind of shocking lol. hopefully the mods are happy about it too :)

Yeah, I agree. Usually you can't get Android and iOS fans to speak politely to each other. It's like the Yankees vs. the Red Sox. I, for one, love both platforms and see the benefit of each and really enjoy a good conversation where we aren't biting each other's heads off and making stupid claims as to why you're less of a person for using the other platform.

spcurtis81

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

as for the topic. I am constantly drawn to new devices, and more importantly, customization and tinkering of devices. I have an old galaxy S that I have rooted and use ICS on and there is even JB available for it.

I do find iOS boring and really restrictive for "speed user." I say this because the keyboard is terrible and autocorrect is even worse. Not to mention not being able to have different notification sounds for any app. Sure developers can put in their own sounds, but they continually base it on the tri-tone (that sound is like nails on the chalkboard to me). In Android you are able to take advantage of the file system and sd card which is really helpful. iOS is indeed more smooth and is much more uniform. Some stock apps are better on apple for sure, if not less useful (mail, photos). Widgets are fun, but nothing more than that to me. Having an app launcher hidden away is awesome to me. Also being able to put apps where I want them and not to mention toggles in the notification pull down. WOW apple, where are you on this?

I could go on and on with stuff I like more or less. I do end up coming back to the 4s because it works better than the fascinate (it better!) and I also have a network of apple products/friends on iPhone. Not to mention I am a case junkie, and there is nothing better than owning an iphone for this purpose lol

I do constantly get drawn by the "neat" things that are offered in android, and I 100% believe that JB has eclipsed iOS. I say this because google is finally figuring out how to streamline the OS and making it smoother to use. They already have unbelievable hardware specs to pull along the OS.

Overall, I am very unhappy with how little Apple has been innovating with their OS. They only have 1 device a year and thats fine, but I think they need to push the bar on the software side. (if not make a different looking device once in a while :rolleyes:)

Agreed. I have friends who turn into totally different people when discussing phones. Almost possessed. These are people with whom you could normally have a rational debate about all sorts of contentious topics however not android and apple brands. I for one can see the benefits to either product. I see apple as being accessible and easy to use, particularly for smartphone newbies where as android is cool for people who want to really get in there and mess with their settings. It's each to their own really. I love to mess with settings and sometimes find the apples limitations frustrating but I've also tried android and find the OS to be more clunky and difficulty to use. Pros and cons.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I still have not even had the chance to pick one up let alone a htc one X..... sad but true i here great things and great reviews but just dont have the time. Sigh

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Not to mention not being able to have different notification sounds for any app. Sure developers can put in their own sounds, but they continually base it on the tri-tone (that sound is like nails on the chalkboard to me).

i am with you. in fact this is what has driven me to handle my notifications completely different than i ever thought i would

most of my notifications are setup for Badge only - Sound > OFF, LockScreen > OFF and Notification Center > ON. i check my notifications when i feel like it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner