wow! this 4S in my hand is feeling pretty dated right now

pibrew

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I've looked it (G3) several times while being in stores and to me it feels very cheaply built compared to my 4S. Just my opinion

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say that's what makes me hesitate to even jump to windows phone even if i could find substitute apps. My family has iDevices that I pretty much got them using. It'd be rough to abandon ship on them. Plus part of the charm is having other iphone users to share apps with, use icloud, and other apps like facetime, imessage, etc. Not to mention the apple tv's, itunes library on the always on PC, and future ipads.

Then there's the security in having an iphone. You know you can run to the Apple store if you have a problem. With the other phones, it's a run to the carrier because I don't see any samsung or nokia stores nearby. And with carriers, you need insurance and patience. Lots of patience.

And as the next few weeks will prove, iphone retains its value well. Accessory makers will be working feverishly to come up with new stuff. That doesn't happen for the others too much. And what's that? iOS 6? Coming to all recent iOS devices at once.

That's a lot to give up just so I could customize a homescreen or have a slightly bigger screen or whatever.

Excellent post!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muad'dib

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I had the GS3 for several weeks. I took it back and reactivated my iPhone 4. The GS3 is indeed a very nice phone. It has some interesting new features. However, I felt that most of the features were either not fully flushed out functionally (e.g. 'Smart Stay' and 'S-Voice') or I just didn't use them (a lot of the gestures.)

The two deal breakers for me were:
The phone was just too big for my tastes in a phone and I didn't like the overall look/feel of the device. I've really come to appreciate how I can use my iPhone with one hand and how pocketable it is. I also like the bit of heft that the iPhone has over the GS3.

The display outside in the sunlight was just terrible in comparison to the iPhone. Frankly, it wasn't very usable outside on a sunny day (even with the brightness cranked.)

I do still like stock Android though. As far as Android devices go, I agree that the HTC One X has the nicest form factor of any of the Android phones right now (my opinion only.) I think that is one fantastic design!

Every time I'm up for an upgrade, I'll play around with the Android offerings at the time. This time, I'm still going to upgrade to the latest iPhone. IOS and the Apple form factor just suit me better.

Reactions: BLiNK

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
mind saying what you miss exactly? i'm really on the fence here lol

I used a 4S from around the end of January until about a month ago when I switched to an SGS3. Here's my take on it vs. an iPhone:

The SGS3 is hands down the best Android phone that I have ever used. And I've used a TON (Droid X, Droid 3, Droid Incredible 2, Bionic, Razr, Nexus, and now SGS3). It is fast. The camera takes beautiful pictures. It doesn't freeze or lock up on me. And it typically lasts me from 8 am until bedtime around 10:30-11:00 pm. I have killed it some days, but that's usually from a lot of internet use. I'm talking screen on for 2-3 hours at night playing on the phone. I don't really fault the phone for that. I killed my 4S many nights doing the same thing. It does not feel cheap to me. Is it the quality feel that Apple provides? No. But I definitely wouldn't call it cheap. With the exception of a very few apps, I can find everything I used on iOS, and they are typically less expensive. The other thing that I love about Android is that you can share pretty much anything with any app. If you take a picture and want to immediately share it via text, Facebook, twitter, DropBox, etc., you can do it right from the picture. This is very nice and something I wish iOS would further implement.

Even though I absolutely love it, I'm still strongly debating on going back to iOS with the new iPhone. Here's why:

Sure the customization is very nice, but sometimes it's too nice. I constantly mess with my phone. Changing a screen here, a lockscreen there. It almost becomes an itch I can't scratch. I'm constantly trying to make it just right. While this is cool, it's also a pain. As others have stated, it is still slightly glitchy. Screen flickers, etc. While it is blazingly fast, I can't stand the little glitches. I'm so anal about things like that. You have none of that in iOS. The last two main things that are leading me back to iOS are productivity and my self-professed OCD. I felt that I was much more productive on iOS. I got more done, and I got it done quicker. Responding to texts and emails straight from the notification center just seemed to work right. And work quicker. The unified inbox just helped me manage my two email accounts better. And about my OCD...I want everything to look the same. Notifications for every app are different. Nothing looks the same. Some allow it to vibrate and ring, others don't. The icons look different. I just really liked the notification center in iOS. It was much more user friendly. And all the app icons were the same. Same size, shape, etc. Makes for a much cleaner look.

I understand why people love both. And Android still holds a place in my heart. I really do like it. But for an every day device like a phone, I think iOS is the way to go for me. Now my tablet, that's a different story.

Let me know if you have any questions about my ramblings.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I used a 4S from around the end of January until about a month ago when I switched to an SGS3. Here's my take on it vs. an iPhone:

The SGS3 is hands down the best Android phone that I have ever used. And I've used a TON (Droid X, Droid 3, Droid Incredible 2, Bionic, Razr, Nexus, and now SGS3). It is fast. The camera takes beautiful pictures. It doesn't freeze or lock up on me. And it typically lasts me from 8 am until bedtime around 10:30-11:00 pm. I have killed it some days, but that's usually from a lot of internet use. I'm talking screen on for 2-3 hours at night playing on the phone. I don't really fault the phone for that. I killed my 4S many nights doing the same thing. It does not feel cheap to me. Is it the quality feel that Apple provides? No. But I definitely wouldn't call it cheap. With the exception of a very few apps, I can find everything I used on iOS, and they are typically less expensive. The other thing that I love about Android is that you can share pretty much anything with any app. If you take a picture and want to immediately share it via text, Facebook, twitter, DropBox, etc., you can do it right from the picture. This is very nice and something I wish iOS would further implement.

Even though I absolutely love it, I'm still strongly debating on going back to iOS with the new iPhone. Here's why:

Sure the customization is very nice, but sometimes it's too nice. I constantly mess with my phone. Changing a screen here, a lockscreen there. It almost becomes an itch I can't scratch. I'm constantly trying to make it just right. While this is cool, it's also a pain. As others have stated, it is still slightly glitchy. Screen flickers, etc. While it is blazingly fast, I can't stand the little glitches. I'm so anal about things like that. You have none of that in iOS. The last two main things that are leading me back to iOS are productivity and my self-professed OCD. I felt that I was much more productive on iOS. I got more done, and I got it done quicker. Responding to texts and emails straight from the notification center just seemed to work right. And work quicker. The unified inbox just helped me manage my two email accounts better. And about my OCD...I want everything to look the same. Notifications for every app are different. Nothing looks the same. Some allow it to vibrate and ring, others don't. The icons look different. I just really liked the notification center in iOS. It was much more user friendly. And all the app icons were the same. Same size, shape, etc. Makes for a much cleaner look.

I understand why people love both. And Android still holds a place in my heart. I really do like it. But for an every day device like a phone, I think iOS is the way to go for me. Now my tablet, that's a different story.

Let me know if you have any questions about my ramblings.

thanks for the detailed info. this is exactly what i am looking for, honest opinions

sure i know this is an iPhone/iOS forum so some opinions will be biased but this thread has been very informative and not as biased as others

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the detailed info. this is exactly what i am looking for, honest opinions

sure i know this is an iPhone/iOS forum so some opinions will be biased but this thread has been very informative and not as biased as others

I feel I can give a very honest opinion. I'm not really for or against either platform. They both have their plusses and minuses. For everyday use, I'd lean towards iOS. For fun, playing around, tweaking, etc., I'd go Android. I think the app argument is very stale, though. With the exception of the Disney apps for my daughter, Android has everything that I used on iOS.

Like I said, hit me up if you have any more detailed questions. I'll do what I can to toss out my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...

Sure the customization is very nice, but sometimes it's too nice. I constantly mess with my phone. Changing a screen here, a lockscreen there. It almost becomes an itch I can't scratch. I'm constantly trying to make it just right. While this is cool, it's also a pain.... (snipped)

That is a perfect description of my experience with Android devices. It had literally become an obsession to make it perfect and after flashing every customized ROM available, I found perfection when I had finally had enough and returned it to the way it was when I brought it home from the store. I have no desire whatsoever to alter my iPhone in such a manner. I'm finally content. ;)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That is a perfect description of my experience with Android devices. It had literally become an obsession to make it perfect and after flashing every customized ROM available, I found perfection when I had finally had enough and returned it to the way it was when I brought it home from the store. I have no desire whatsoever to alter my iPhone in such a manner. I'm finally content. ;)

Yeah. It does become an obsession. Trying to get it JUST right. And that's where I kind of lean towards iOS for my phone. I like Android on a tablet, because it is more of a "fun" device. I don't need one. I just have one for fun and the occasional task. My phone I'd like to be clean and functional first and foremost. Fun second. And that's where the two differ, at least for me.

Richillion

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Do like I did! I got the iPad 3! So I could use my old apps and stuff. Got a gs3 and galaxy note. When the Nokia windows phone 8 comes out I'll be all over that. I will probably never buy another iPhone again. Ugh 3 years was enough of my life 2007 to 2010 rip iPhone!

mad1at35

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Android on and off, I had and SII for a while as it was cheap. However, I went back to an iP4. Samsungs Touchwiz on top of Android is just not as elegant as iOS and a lot of the stock Android apps are poorly designed in comparison to iOS.

Altough you can get all the standard stuff, to top it all I hald of the Apps I use cannot be found on the play store - drawing/design, networking, iMovie, Keynote, games, etc, etc. Even Real Racing 2 had been pulled from the Play Store because it doesn't work on ICS. If this had been iOS developers seem to fix issues much faster.

As a side note a lot of the 'same' apps look poorer, probably because of Apple's v Google's ApI's and also the myriad of Android screen sizes and resolutions. For example I use weather pro and it looks much poorer than on the iphone.

Having said that, as a phone they are too big ut I am looking at an S3 or a Note 2 as a cheap second mini tablet for putting in my bag, and also for tethering my ipad and macbook to - you can get some really good monthly data plans very cheaply now. My biggest issue is that I dont like, Amoled sceens so it depends of I can live with that, even for occassional use.

But my main phone will be an iphone, which coupled with an ipad and Mac form a very productive ecosystem.

Zombified1

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
As another ship jumper I can also vouch on the Android vs iPhone debate. I was a big Android user from 2009 to 2012 and have used all the big brands: HTC, Motorola, Samsung. The Samsung GS2 was the last phone that I used that was Android. With the GS2 I found that I was constantly rooting it with new ROMS and tweaks to make it better. But it wasn't better, as others have said it, the apps were constantly updated while some word work on one device and not the other.

I have had my 4s for about a month now and haven't looked back, sure the screen is not as big as the other brands but the retina display is so much clearer and with my eyesight (even though im 31) getting worse I can see 100% better on the 4s display.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I find it interesting that people are saying that they are using the iPhone for productivity purposes and Android devices for fun. I do use my iPhone 4S for productivity and it performs better than any device that I have ever owned. But I also use it for entertainment and I would have to say the same is true in this department as well. I listen to music, watch videos, play games, etc. more now with my iPhone than I do with any other device I have ever owned. To me, it is the best all-around phone you can buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've had every iPhone since the 3G in 2008. While I love iOS and Apple's hardware, I've too thought about switching or adding a second device. My biggest problem with Android is that there isn't one single device I love as much as my 4S. If I could take the design/specs of the One X, mix in some of the features of the GS3, and shrink it down to the size of the One S I might be happy. Android devices seem to offer good design and build quality, features, OR the size I prefer, but never in one single device. Not to mention the 450+ apps I own for iOS. I don't use all of them, but I like the option I can re-download any of them at any time.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The S3 looks nice but there is no way I could go back to Android. The Android OS is just too fragmented. The only way I would get another Android phone is for it to be bundled with Jessica Biel.;)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting that people are saying that they are using the iPhone for productivity purposes and Android devices for fun. I do use my iPhone 4S for productivity and it performs better than any device that I have ever owned. But I also use it for entertainment and I would have to say the same is true in this department as well. I listen to music, watch videos, play games, etc. more now with my iPhone than I do with any other device I have ever owned. To me, it is the best all-around phone you can buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think I was one of those guys who said Android for fun and iPhone for productivity. I just want to clarify. The fun I was referring to was tinkering and messing with the phone itself. Tweaking it to make it yours. Android is great at that. Aside from app layout and wallpapers, an iPhone is essentially Apple's. I'm talking out of the box. No jailbreaking or rooting. And the productivity I was referring to was the ease of day to day operations like texting, emailing, calls, calendar, and tasks. Those are definitely better on iOS. Both platforms are good for multimedia and games on the fun aspect.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. It does become an obsession. Trying to get it JUST right. And that's where I kind of lean towards iOS for my phone. I like Android on a tablet, because it is more of a "fun" device. I don't need one. I just have one for fun and the occasional task. My phone I'd like to be clean and functional first and foremost. Fun second. And that's where the two differ, at least for me.

Again, you are spot-on, my friend...;)

Reactions: Wildo6882

skhdivers#AC

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
after looking at the Galaxy S3 today. that device is Nice!

i'm not hating. just briefly jumped over the fence for a little bit
I just switched from Droid Razr to iphone 4S. I was also I devoted Android user. The problem is that Google puts out updates to all the android phones and then lets each maker customize that update to their own specifications and there incurs that instabililty. I didn't know what to expect with iphone but I have been very please so far (3 weeks) I get everyone's comments about functioning right out of the box as soon as I turned it on it told me I had 4 pending invites. On android the whole invite to calendar thing was very confusing. I will probably (never say never) never go back just because apple had one chance to impress me and it did. No bugs, glitches etc...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2