wow! this 4S in my hand is feeling pretty dated right now

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I guess that's my point. Customizing my phone isn't fun to me. That would get boring. Using the phone is what keeps me entertained. When I had Android devices, I spent the first day setting it up and I didn't think about customization after that. I just used the phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Yep, I was going to post the same thing but you said it pretty well. An OS isn't supposed to be entertaining. Notifications, settings and launch apps. Most of the new features for iOS 6 are basically in the preloaded apps like Maps, email, safari, etc.

It's all about the apps. You personalize by choosing apps that matter to you.

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Y'all and your android love... You do know that the MobileNations family has this place where you can express your techno-love for your device of choice called Android Central, right?

Why some people insist upon coming here to scream "Tastes Great!" in a room full of people who prefer "Less Filling" is a complete mystery to me. The absolute LAST THING ON THE FREAKIN' PLANET I would do is sign-up on Android Central to go to their forum and profess affinity for Apple products... but hey, I'm weird... :eek:

to be honest, Blink started this thread to get feedback about the s3, they arent spweing Apple hate and Android love, all I see is an actual conversation about pro's and con's of both.........

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
to be honest, Blink started this thread to get feedback about the s3, they arent spweing Apple hate and Android love, all I see is an actual conversation about pro's and con's of both.........

It started out as you say, but has devolved.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
my approach as of late with jailbreaking the iPhone has taken a turn. yes, there are a gazillion ways to make your device look different and behave than what Apple has to offer. but at the end of the day i need it to perform like it was just removed from the box for the "first time"

in fact, if i were to make the switch to the GS3 it would not be for customization. it would be for what it has to offer out of the box

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Galaxy S3 for over a month now and I am coming from the iPhone 4. The S3 is a great phone. There is no questioning that, however, I have gone back to my iPhone 4 no less than 3 times in the last month. I love a lot of the features of the S3 including how nice and big the screen is. I also love a lot of things about Android in general. The reason I have switched back to my iPhone each time is that it is just more functional for me. My days are packed from 6am to 11pm and I use my phone all day for a lot of different reasons to help me handle my day. I have customized my S3 to be functional for me and my needs and it just isn't as quick and useful as what I have on my iPhone. I keep going back and forth because I really want to use the S3 since I do love a lot of the features, but it just doesn't help me accomplish what I need to do day in and day out like the iPhone does. For me, that is what is most important.

My phone, regardless of the maker, is a tool for me. I guess that's what it comes down to. The techie in me wants to play with the S3, but the business owner, husband and father in me knows that the reality is that the iPhone is a more useful tool for my needs. It's a very personal choice. Someone else in my exact situation might feel exactly the opposite.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have had the Galaxy S3 for over a month now and I am coming from the iPhone 4. The S3 is a great phone. There is no questioning that, however, I have gone back to my iPhone 4 no less than 3 times in the last month. I love a lot of the features of the S3 including how nice and big the screen is. I also love a lot of things about Android in general. The reason I have switched back to my iPhone each time is that it is just more functional for me. My days are packed from 6am to 11pm and I use my phone all day for a lot of different reasons to help me handle my day. I have customized my S3 to be functional for me and my needs and it just isn't as quick and useful as what I have on my iPhone. I keep going back and forth because I really want to use the S3 since I do love a lot of the features, but it just doesn't help me accomplish what I need to do day in and day out like the iPhone does. For me, that is what is most important.

My phone, regardless of the maker, is a tool for me. I guess that's what it comes down to. The techie in me wants to play with the S3, but the business owner, husband and father in me knows that the reality is that the iPhone is a more useful tool for my needs. It's a very personal choice. Someone else in my exact situation might feel exactly the opposite.

Give us some examples as to how the iPhone performs better for you in day-to-day operations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My brother in law got the GS3...and i spent hours with it yesterday. After that time i realized how cheap it feels...it has a nice big screen and some cool features, but feels cheap.

Crude Berry

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
A friend and my sister in law has the S3. I had the opportunity to explore each one. The screen is bigger, but overall so is the entire phone. To me it just talked way too much exploring to complete a simple task, I'd much rather my IP4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the same "jump the fence" feeling when I was taking apart my friends nexus... It was just so big an beautiful, and it's insides were easy to examine and fix/replace if needed...
However later that night I went home and had to "switch towers" for my wife's bionic because It kept getting multiple (like 12 at a time) texts... Which is my biggest problem with the whole droid thing...
parroting what others have said, the droids are just all over the place... Each one being on a different os, 8mp cameras not being equal, the htc incredible took great photos, out bionic takes crap photos! The size is INSANE when you think about it, like really get down to it, the current iPhones are PERFECT sized!
However after all that I realize that I am a customize guy, I enjoy tweaking stuff to my liking, so im more of an android guy if I really think about if while my wife is an iPhone girl... Ironic cuz she's got the droid and i have the apple...
I'm conflicted...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Give us some examples as to how the iPhone performs better for you in day-to-day operations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's really about ease of access I suppose. You can find tools on android for anything that the iPhone does. It's more about the interaction. I use my calendar, to do list, texting, email and phone calls all day. Those are my main needs. I can do any of those things quickly on the iPhone. As I'm thinking about that I realize that a lot of it is just being familiar with the apps but the other part is the size of the phone. I can't quickly do things with one hand on the S3. I really think that it just comes down to preference over all.

The other piece that is a big deal is that my whole family is on iPhones and iPod's. I also have an iPad. I'm very vested in the iOS system.

I don't know if that is what you were looking for. Ask if you have more questions.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Y'all and your android love... You do know that the MobileNations family has this place where you can express your techno-love for your device of choice called Android Central, right?

Why some people insist upon coming here to scream "Tastes Great!" in a room full of people who prefer "Less Filling" is a complete mystery to me. The absolute LAST THING ON THE FREAKIN' PLANET I would do is sign-up on Android Central to go to their forum and profess affinity for Apple products... but hey, I'm weird... :eek:

Ever heard of freedom of speech:cool:

Besides ive been a member of this forum for about a year and up untill a week ago still used my iPhone 4S. So take it easy buddy.

Btw thanks for the heads up on the android forum.

Tap'n like a BOSS

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
after looking at the Galaxy S3 today. that device is Nice!

i'm not hating. just briefly jumped over the fence for a little bit

To the op. I went and got the S3. It is an amazing device. A lot of pro's and a few cons most of them can be fixed ie extended battery. One thing I didn't like which made the iPhone still my main driver was the glitchy, and the fact that I have pretty much everything in my home Apple. Didn't play well with my ecosystem.

Reactions: BLiNK

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
To the op. I went and got the S3. It is an amazing device. A lot of pro's and a few cons most of them can be fixed ie extended battery. One thing I didn't like which made the iPhone still my main driver was the glitchy, and the fact that I have pretty much everything in my home Apple. Didn't play well with my ecosystem.

that's what i cannot stand, glitchy. which is one reason why i have been staying away from jailbreaking

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Yea my S3 is great, but one misconception I see in android fans is they often mistake speed for a smooth UI. Just because it scrolls fast and the glitches aren't as noticeable doesn't mean it's a smooth UI. I do believe if someone asked me what phone to get over the iPhone because they didn't like Apple or wanted Android for some reason, it would easily be S3. I wouldn't even hesitate.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I would have to say that's what makes me hesitate to even jump to windows phone even if i could find substitute apps. My family has iDevices that I pretty much got them using. It'd be rough to abandon ship on them. Plus part of the charm is having other iphone users to share apps with, use icloud, and other apps like facetime, imessage, etc. Not to mention the apple tv's, itunes library on the always on PC, and future ipads.

Then there's the security in having an iphone. You know you can run to the Apple store if you have a problem. With the other phones, it's a run to the carrier because I don't see any samsung or nokia stores nearby. And with carriers, you need insurance and patience. Lots of patience.

And as the next few weeks will prove, iphone retains its value well. Accessory makers will be working feverishly to come up with new stuff. That doesn't happen for the others too much. And what's that? iOS 6? Coming to all recent iOS devices at once.

That's a lot to give up just so I could customize a homescreen or have a slightly bigger screen or whatever.

Reactions: iSmileyFace

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say that's what makes me hesitate to even jump to windows phone even if i could find substitute apps. My family has iDevices that I pretty much got them using. It'd be rough to abandon ship on them. Plus part of the charm is having other iphone users to share apps with, use icloud, and other apps like facetime, imessage, etc. Not to mention the apple tv's, itunes library on the always on PC, and future ipads.

Then there's the security in having an iphone. You know you can run to the Apple store if you have a problem. With the other phones, it's a run to the carrier because I don't see any samsung or nokia stores nearby. And with carriers, you need insurance and patience. Lots of patience.

And as the next few weeks will prove, iphone retains its value well. Accessory makers will be working feverishly to come up with new stuff. That doesn't happen for the others too much. And what's that? iOS 6? Coming to all recent iOS devices at once.

That's a lot to give up just so I could customize a homescreen or have a slightly bigger screen or whatever.

good info, thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2