wow! this 4S in my hand is feeling pretty dated right now

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have a S3 and to tell you the truth I am just tired of how android updates are always taking forever, the glossy back doesnt do it justice, because it scratches so easy, now I cannot decided I want to buy and Iphone but I do not know if I should get the 4S or go for a 5, any recommendations would be appreciated.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just want to try the s3 so I can say i did. If I don't like it, I can sell it. Shoot, I have a friend in VA who is waiting on me to not like it. Lol

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
This is the problem with Android phones in general. In 3-5 months the S3 will be out-dated by something else. With the way Android updates its OS, it'll start getting severely glitchy and itchy after about 9-12 months and you'll be sitting there with a phone that may not work well until your 2 year obligation is up. I have a iPhone 4S (purchased on day 1) and have no need or desire to trade in for an iPhone 5. it worked great two weeks ago before the iP5 came out and will continue to do so for at least another year I'm sure.

That's the BIG difference between Android and iOS. After 7-10 months ur android phone may never be updated, whereas iOS will keep ALL their phones up to date, even if they are 3yrs old, right 3GS owners. :D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just want to try the s3 so I can say i did. If I don't like it, I can sell it. Shoot, I have a friend in VA who is waiting on me to not like it. Lol

IF...you do take the sgs3 route and try it out, mistah m I will have my ear to the ground to hear your opinion on it:) I've had an interest in It as well, but idk if I want to worry about a change in platform to learn. I've had bb, and now ios, so android seems right in between the two, sort of. Really couldn't be that hard to pick up.

BUT, idk if I'd want to.....

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
IF...you do take the sgs3 route and try it out, mistah m I will have my ear to the ground to hear your opinion on it:) I've had an interest in It as well, but idk if I want to worry about a change in platform to learn. I've had bb, and now ios, so android seems right in between the two, sort of. Really couldn't be that hard to pick up.

BUT, idk if I'd want to.....

I'll definitely keep you posted Pink. I came from Android to iOS and have dabbled in Android off and on after coming to iOS so I'm very familiar with it. I've read that the new software is very iOS'ish in efficiency and that it has good battery life which is a MAJOR draw for me.

z06mike

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just read through this whole thread. As others have said, I can't believe everyone has been so mature with this topic. It is definitely rare to be able to have such a conversation between Apple and Android users!! I am an Android fan/user and almost every discussion with an Apple user is "Apple/iPhone is better." It is refreshing to see this thread with points being used to validate the differences/advantages with each OS. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I still feel that Apple is doing the right thing. They are not following the competition as far as the whole size issue. If that was the case the 3GS or the 4 would have gone 4 inch. I have played with different Androids from people around where I work. All they can really point out is the screen size. But I like what someone posted earlier, is the consistency of apps and os upgrades. They are not uniform. Once an update is available, it knocks out alot of phones to be able to use it until the app updates, but even then unsure if all will support it. At the end it seems to be more about uniformity and playing it cool as they feel it should be. Honestly, does Apple need to create a 4.5" screen just to supposedly compete? I don't think so.

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I still feel that Apple is doing the right thing. They are not following the competition as far as the whole size issue. If that was the case the 3GS or the 4 would have gone 4 inch. I have played with different Androids from people around where I work. All they can really point out is the screen size. But I like what someone posted earlier, is the consistency of apps and os upgrades. They are not uniform. Once an update is available, it knocks out alot of phones to be able to use it until the app updates, but even then unsure if all will support it. At the end it seems to be more about uniformity and playing it cool as they feel it should be. Honestly, does Apple need to create a 4.5" screen just to supposedly compete? I don't think so.

I do agree with consistency I have worked with android phones for a while but I can be honest and tell you I have tried IOS, WP7 and BB, and the main issue with android is yes there is no consistency with Android Updates or apps, yes I know if you have the Latest phone all your apps will work, but the fragmentation that happens when there are several low to mid tier android devices which consumers are not able to download certain apps because they arent compatible with their device is an issue, also keep in mind with the updates of OS which one company promises that it will update a device and it could take up to 6 months later to get updated its ridiculous, there are several adnroid devices running android 2.3 and Jelly bean is already out and most if not all will not get the Update, WP7 they have been consistent with updates, even though their phones will get wp 7.8 and not WP 8 we will have to see if they get any kind of fragmentation, now IOS has been the most consistent one since they only carry one device is easier and I understand that, but is all about the consumer experience, there are some things that older versions will not get and we understand that they need to seel devices like the Iphone 4 did not get Siri, which that was the 4S selling point, all OS have their pros and cons, with android you get customization but not as much update support, IOS you get great update support and ease of use but in a more controlled environment, WP 7 or 8 now you have great Update support ease of use but lack of app selection, is really up to your choice, I have tried it all, but lately been tired of waiting for updates on Android with my SGS3 and yes I know you could buy a Nexus, but the Nexus even on JB has its own issues, speakers being terrible, GPS not great and old hardware that lags even with JB from time to time, I am ready to move on to another OS I been thinking between IOS and WP 8 and for now I need a better app selection, so IOS having over 700k apps is a better options, now I have been wondering for a while which one should I buy and Iphone 4S or and Iphone 5 which right now is almost impossible to get,now I 'm sure there are some differences with hardware, like size and weight, and some design changes with materials used, now I have seen numbers with the A6 being better than A5 almost by triple, the big question is how it translates into real life performance, if any of you guys would shed some light I really cant decide if I should go for the 5 or get the 4S, thanks in advanced

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Got the s3 but can't activate due to a pending order of an iPhone 5 for my wife's bday. Wtf

Gonna be like 2 weeks before I can use it unless I cancel her order which she has no knowledge of. Lol

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Got the s3 but can't activate due to a pending order of an iPhone 5 for my wife's bday. Wtf

Gonna be like 2 weeks before I can use it unless I cancel her order which she has no knowledge of. Lol

:(awwwww...wtf? Now why the heII would the pre order of the i5 effect you activating the s3 on your line :confused:

Can you at least tool around with the s3 on wifi for now?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The crazy thing is I swear when I ordered that we switched my upgrade to her line.

No, can't even get all the way into the phone without inserting the SIM and going through the activation process. :(

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's outdated. This is coming from a long time Android user. Went from Galaxy S, to HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 & S3, and I jumped ship and couldn't have made a better decision. I love every aspect of the iPhone 4S. :) I don't feel any need to switch to the 5 anytime soon.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The crazy thing is I swear when I ordered that we switched my upgrade to her line.

No, can't even get all the way into the phone without inserting the SIM and going through the activation process. :(

maybe you wanna recheck that upgrade switch from the order....maybe it didnt switch for whatever reason. That does suck that you cant get into the brains of it without inserting the sim:(

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's outdated. This is coming from a long time Android user. Went from Galaxy S, to HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 & S3, and I jumped ship and couldn't have made a better decision. I love every aspect of the iPhone 4S. :) I don't feel any need to switch to the 5 anytime soon.

I feel ya. I had the 4S earlier this year, then switched to Galaxy S3. Now I'm back with the 4S again. Didn't want the 5 either right now. I have an upgrade next June so we will see if a 5S comes out. Or could just save it for the iPhone 6. Who knows.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Called them and my switch to a share everything plan had me held up. They switched that and my S3 is now active!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel ya. I had the 4S earlier this year, then switched to Galaxy S3. Now I'm back with the 4S again. Didn't want the 5 either right now. I have an upgrade next June so we will see if a 5S comes out. Or could just save it for the iPhone 6. Who knows.

Exactly. Same boat I'm in. I have an upgrade next march or so (wild guess) so let's see what that brings us. Couldn't be happier with my switch though. Love the Apple community. Now next up is switching from PC to a Mac. -.-

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
w00t!! Houston to ground control - we have touched down!! :D

Yes ma'am!! I've like it a lot so far!! There's no matching with friends though... :(

Just a preview of battery life...only down 4% in almost an hour!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes ma'am!! I've like it a lot so far!! There's no matching with friends though... :(

Just a preview of battery life...only down 4% in almost an hour!!

:Dgreat!! but, i dont play any games on my phone, so idk what 'matching with friends" is {{embarassed face}}

yea.....really. i don't. :eek: