Video cam on playing back sound

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So all of a sudden my video camera takes video but has no sound on play back. Any thoughts on why? Do I need a hard reset? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When I've seen that it tends to be one of three things:

1) The sound is turned down IN the video app during playback. (To check, make sure you try to adjust the volume AFTER you begin playback.)
2) The noise canceling mic on top of the phone (small hole near the headphone jack) is clogged with dust/lint/etc. Make sure that is free of debris.
3) Make sure your hand isn't covering either mic while recording.

Good luck!

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I tried to clean the little mic on top.... Volume is up and I'm not covering the mics at any point. Weird thing is the mic for the voice recorder works just fine. And if someone sends me a video, playback is fine as well. Could it be a Software bug?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
And you don't use and protective skins around the band, right? Those sometimes interfere with that small mic.

If not here are two more ideas from this Apple discussion thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2554427?start=30&tstart=0

-Open YouTube and play a video. Make sure the volume is turned up. Then try another recording.

-Check your games go see if any have the volume set to 0, especially if they're still in your multitasking tray.

-Try making a recording with your headphones in, make sure the volume is up. Then try another video w/out headphones.

Finally...I see that some reports mention this happening after using VoIP apps (Skype, Fring, FaceTime, etc). Also worth checking if all else fails.

Good luck!

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Massie.... Thanks so much for your help. I have no skins and I read your suggested forums on apple's site. I did try your idea about recording with the headphones in and may have pinpointed the problem. If I record video with the head phones, I get sound. But as soon as I take them out and record I get nothing. The headphone volume is all the way up but as soon as I pull them out im back to no sound.... Which leads me to think that there may be an issue with the headphone jack?.... I did read in the forum that a needle in the top mic to clean it worked for some as well. It not for me in this case....

On to more searching and trouble shooting. Again. Thanks for your help and any other ideas would be appreciated.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming you already did a simple reboot? If not, follow these steps:

-Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.
-Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't do anything I'd guess there's a bug somewhere in how your headphones are getting connected/disconnected. Maybe try playing music with headphones, then unplugging the phones and continuing music through the speaker to see if that might "reset" the switch from one to the other.

Still try the reboot first, I'd say!

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I ve done the reset and still have the issue. It's got to be a hardware problem because the speaker phone doesn't work either. People can't hear me while on speaker phone... So I'm wondering if I've bumped the phone at some point and have knocked the mic out of place or something. Going to take it to the apple store and see what's up.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro