** Keeping the 4S as a Backup Phone???

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about keeping my 4S as a backup phone as this is my first GSM phone with AT&T and I do not have another one. I am tempted to do an early iPhone 5 upgrade, however, I don't want to pay AT&T and extra $250 for a partial subsidy. Does anyone else keep their older iPhone just in case of loss or theft as a backup? What would or do you do? BTW, I dropped AT&T's insurance of $9.99 because I thought it was a waste of money to give every month. (I'd definitely would purchase the iPhone 5 from the Apple store next time and get AppleCare instead.) I am really careful about my phone and not losing it but...life happens sometimes.

Last edited:

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It would certainly be worth it to keep a 4S as a backup phone, but consider that iOS 6 is coming out next month, and the 4S will get the full benefit of that OS. The 5 will have nice new hardware, but it won't really do anything different. I will keep my 4S as my primary phone a while longer. I may upgrade to the 5, but who knows when.

Reactions: anon(279851)

sintaku

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, you should really read the terms and conditions of any insurance policy. Find out how long a claim takes, how much the process goes, and what they cover.

In the UK I got insurance for my iPhone with T-Mobile for ?9.99 a month. There was a ?30 excess when I lost my phone and it was replaced within 72 hours of me reporting it and just one paper to sign. But then I changed to one with my bank and I filed a claim and took them one month to process the claim and tons of paperwork.

Now I'm with American Express Insurance, ?9.99 per month but cover for all my portable devices. I claimed for my iPad, took 5 working days then they told me to get it replaced by apple and claim reimbursement from them. Did that and was fine, and no excess.

Each insurer does things differently. So make sure you don't assume things and end up losing out.

I would sell your iPhone 4S and buy the iPhone 5.

Reactions: anon(279851)

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It would certainly be worth it to keep a 4S as a backup phone, but consider that iOS 6 is coming out next month, and the 4S will get the full benefit of that OS. The 5 will have nice new hardware, but it won't really do anything different. I will keep my 4S as my primary phone a while longer. I may upgrade to the 5, but who knows when.
Thank you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about having Burger King for lunch today...what would or do you do?

...also, your post made my eyes bleed.

Honestly though (and this is assuming i understood your post right, given how all over the map it was), you want to know if it's a good idea (in our opinion) for YOU to keep YOUR iPhone 4S as a back up...and the answer is, who knows?! I have no idea how capable YOU are of buying a new iPhone if yours was stolen, and honestly, outside of theft, i can't think of another scenario that would leave you relinquished completely of your iPhone without something to bring to the Apple store for replacement or repair (outside of just sheer stupidity, the likes of bringing your iPhone to the ocean, or losing it on a roller coaster, or something completely asinine like that, in which case, you don't need to have a phone like that anyways)

That said, I don't plan on keeping my 4S after i get the new iPhone, and that is primarily because i want to make a decent profit (as decent as one can make) on the 4S before it's value plunges into nothingness. What would i do if my new iPhone broke? I'd pay someone to fix it if it was my fault or I'd take it back to Apple if i could go that route...what would I do if my iPhone was stolen? I'd buy a new one.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I say do whatever makes you feel most comfortable doing. If you don't need the money for the new iPhone and you'd feel better keeping your old iPhone for a bit, go ahead. I always keep one iPhone as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I insure my new phone and sell the old. The iPhones are worth too much to me just to keep around as a backup.

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about having Burger King for lunch today...what would or do you do?

...also, your post made my eyes bleed.

Honestly though (and this is assuming i understood your post right, given how all over the map it was), you want to know if it's a good idea (in our opinion) for YOU to keep YOUR iPhone 4S as a back up...and the answer is, who knows?! I have no idea how capable YOU are of buying a new iPhone if yours was stolen, and honestly, outside of theft, i can't think of another scenario that would leave you relinquished completely of your iPhone without something to bring to the Apple store for replacement or repair (outside of just sheer stupidity, the likes of bringing your iPhone to the ocean, or losing it on a roller coaster, or something completely asinine like that, in which case, you don't need to have a phone like that anyways)

That said, I don't plan on keeping my 4S after i get the new iPhone, and that is primarily because i want to make a decent profit (as decent as one can make) on the 4S before it's value plunges into nothingness. What would i do if my new iPhone broke? I'd pay someone to fix it if it was my fault or I'd take it back to Apple if i could go that route...what would I do if my iPhone was stolen? I'd buy a new one.

Sean have you sold your 4s yet? I want to now but have an old basic android phone to use and not sure I can handle that for 3+ weeks. Just worried resale value will plunge on September 12!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As soon as the new iPhone comes out, the previous generation will begin its plummet...initially you can expect anywhere from $50-$75 off the premium you'd pull now (and before)...after a few months, that will drop to about $75-$100 off the premium (especially depending on the storage size you have). After 6 months you'll have lost about 25%-35%.

That said, iPhones hold value reasonably well vs. other mobile devices when they are replaced with a newer generation...so you're not going to lose your ass on them, but you're certainly not going to get what you will today after the 21st (or whenever the new iPhone finally comes out).

And no, i haven't sold mine yet, but i do have a buyer who is going to get it the day the new iPhone is released.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Silly question..

It costs 199 for an iphone swap if apple doesn't cover what's wrong with it. If you lose your new iphone for some strange reason, then buy a used one.

Either way, it's best to sell your iphone 4S.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Silly question..

It costs 199 for an iphone swap if apple doesn't cover what's wrong with it. If you lose your new iphone for some strange reason, then buy a used one.

Either way, it's best to sell your iphone 4S.

If you lost your iPhone 4S for example, you would be paying the full retail price for it and not $199. Some people feel better having one phone as a backup. If they don't need the cash then I don't see anything wrong with keeping it. I will be selling my factory unlocked 4S and keeping my White one as a backup.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Well just to let you know, even of you purchase the iPhone at Best buy, RadioShack, AT&T, etc., you can still get apple care as long as you buy it within 30 days of getting the new iPhone , that's what apple told me when I called customer service. And ya I was thinking about doing the same and keeping my 4S rather than sell it when I get another phone this fall, I am 95% sure I'm gonna get the next iPhone but if it doesn't end up being that great im gonna get a Galaxy S3 because it will have Jellybean soon. At least then I'll still have my 4S. I'll most likely get the iPhone tho I don't think Tim will disappoint us with the new one

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I still have my very first iphone i stood five hours in line for in 07 as my back up phone, but this is a phone I will never part with.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW