Anybody has Edge dropping to 3G problem?

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi I'm from Montreal, Quebec , Canada. I'm a Rogers wireless customer and my connection pass from Edge to 3G at night without touching my iPhone 4S? It happen a few times even when resetting the network , changing the sim card , Apple even replace my iPhone 4S with another one. I contact Rogers they say nothing wrong with their network. It also change network when I try to open a program. By the way I reinstall iOS 5.1.1 correctly with iTunes without backup and put as new phone 3 times with new iPhone and 2 times with the one i had before. Anybody have an idea of why? Thank you it's my first post on imore forums.

PS:
I was even considering going back to the iPhone 4. For those who ask why the Edge network it's for the battery autonomy and since iPhone 4S it's not the same , when is reboot instead of getting back on Edge network it's going back on 3G :(

Last edited:

Pocobear

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Edge to 3G switch

You probably live in an area that is on the very edge of 3G coverage and RF signal strength will be better at night, but not strong enough to maintain an adequate connection. This in normal and is just the laws of physics at work. When its polling the cellphone tower it's using data like texting, but when you try to actually use full data (3G) it can't support the higher speed, so it drops back to Edge (slower) transmissions so you can still get data except at slower data rates. Perfectly normal operation in a weak signal area, otherwise you would just lose all signal. If you go to a high signal strength area it will probably work fine on 3G.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're in Montreal the 3G network should take on seamlessly. Hell, you could get LTE and be one of the nearest to the towers... IF you're from Montreal. I myself am from Valleyfield (Ouest de l'Ile) and I get 3G... At my camping in St-Polycarpe (even farther lost in the woods) I can get 3G too. Carrier is Bell. And I don't see how going on the Edge network instead could save battery life, it's the same operation with the same antenna.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
And of course you can't get it to stay on the Edge network... your device is a 3G HSPA+, it will automatically prefer the 3G over Edge...

If you're really far enough from Montreal to have signal losses and your phone is always switching between the two networks, then don't wonder why battery life is not good. Can't believe Rogers network doesn't get to you... :confused:

Oh, and BTW, passing from Edge to 3G isn't a "drop"... it's better. :D

Last edited:

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys didn't read correctly my post I said I prefer Edge over 3G the iPhone 4 is not switching by is self to 3G only when you activate the switch. But the iPhone 4S does have this problem. :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys didn't read correctly my post I said I prefer Edge over 3G the iPhone 4 is not switching by is self to 3G only when you activate the switch. But the iPhone 4S does have this problem. :(

I don't think it has as much to do with us reading your post incorrectly as much as us having to figure out exactly what you are saying.

You actually prefer EDGE? I can only assume because your area does not get sufficient 3G reception and that is what you are getting your "optimal" performance at...but honestly, that is like preferring square wheels to round wheels, can they get the job done? Sure! But it's going to be awful.

Can you give us a legitimate reason WHY you wouldn't want to use 3G and you want it to stay on EDGE? That might help us understand your approach to this, and maybe help you i guess (if there is help to be given).

nl_84

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
As said previously, your phone is going to choose the best connection it can find. 3G is a lot better than EDGE so when it's available, 3G will be chosen. I don't think you can tell it to stay on EDGE.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

You can disable 3G in settings, network, therefore it would only use edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 when is on Edge doesn't change to 3G alone. The iPhone 4S seem to decide when it will change to 3G.

Are I see. I'm using a 4 and that's why I have the option.

In that case it sounds like you are stuck as you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73