Hello Everyone,
    I have searched for this answer for about 1 hour. I found something close, but that person hasn't posted in 8 months. So, I didn't see the need in trying to ask them. I am having a huge problem with iCloud and how much memory it takes. The problem I have is that I backed up my iPhone 4s on my pc and transferred all of my pictures to the pc. I then made a folder for the "keep pics" Then set it up to only transfer that one file. What I actually got is way too many pics. I made folders on itunes to separate the photos I have...this is crazy! I am very comfortable with phones because I used to be a web chat tech for a major wireless company. But this issue is a difficult one to figure out. What I ended up with is Camera Roll 746 Photo Stream 381 Photo Library 1,151 My son's bday 21 Keep pictures 64 My pictures 378 and then there is a dated folder 1012-06-09 with 707 pics in that one. What I want is to save all of my pictures on my PC, and the transfer only certain ones back to the phone. Can anyone help me?
    08-15-2012 02:22 AM
    In iTunes, simply check the folders you want to sync, rather than All Photos.
    08-15-2012 07:30 AM
    Unless I'm mistaken, when you create pic folders via iTunes and then sync your device using iTunes, those folders are also created on the device along with its contents and then those pics will be backed up to iCloud if iCloud is enabled on your device. What you will have to do is remove the folders from iTunes that you don't want backed up to the cloud. After removing the folders from iTunes, sync your device via iTunes and hopefully, those unwanted folders will be removed from your device. Personally, I use the Phone Drive app to transfer photos & other files back and forth between my iPhone and computer. When I initiate the iTunes app on my computer, all I have to do is let it detect the Phone Drive app and then drag and drop. Anyway, I hope I was able to assist you. Take care and have a pleasant day.
    08-15-2012 07:36 AM
    Just Me THANK YOU for understanding exactly what I want to do.What I would really like is to just save all of my pics on my computer...skipping itunes. Then making one folder in itunes where I would just add (copy) the pics over and sync them. Can you tell me more about this Phone Drive app? Will that do what I need it to do?
    08-15-2012 11:05 PM
    Just Me THANK YOU for understanding exactly what I want to do.What I would really like is to just save all of my pics on my computer...skipping itunes. Then making one folder in itunes where I would just add (copy) the pics over and sync them. Can you tell me more about this Phone Drive app? Will that do what I need it to do?
    Why do you need a separate app? Your camera roll is available on Windows (you said PC, right?) in the same way as any camera or SD card when you plug it in just open up the DCIM folder and youll see all of your photos and videos. Copy those to wherever you want to make your backup (I stick mine on the NAS), then copy just the photos you want iTunes to sync into wherever youve told iTunes to sync photos from.
    Remember to clear the DCIM folder before you eject/disconnect the phone or else youll see everything duplicated.
    Next time you sync with iTunes youll get those photos put back onto your phone, complete with folders (Sons Birthday, etc) if youve created them.
    Lastly, iCloud will make a backup of your entire camera roll unless you switch off that setting, so its a good idea to perform your own backup and pruning regularly to avoid filling up your iCloud storage.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-16-2012 05:44 AM
    @Just Me I didn't have the app I went by what you said."Personally, I use the Phone Drive app to transfer photos & other files back and forth between my iPhone and computer. When I initiate the iTunes app on my computer, all I have to do is let it detect the Phone Drive app and then drag and drop. Anyway, I hope I was able to assist you."
    That's precisely the problem I am having. No more storage. I'll give this a shot ty.
    08-16-2012 10:05 PM
    @Just Me I didn't have the app I went by what you said."Personally, I use the Phone Drive app to transfer photos & other files back and forth between my iPhone and computer. When I initiate the iTunes app on my computer, all I have to do is let it detect the Phone Drive app and then drag and drop. Anyway, I hope I was able to assist you."
    That's precisely the problem I am having. No more storage. I'll give this a shot ty.
    I'm so sorry for not seeing the post you left yesterday. I wasn't ignoring you or anything. I just simply didn't see it. Anyway, I have a MacBook and when I connect my iPhone or iPad to it and then initiate the MacBook's iTunes app, I can see the Phone Drive near the bottom of the screen in the App Section of iTunes after iTunes detect my device. It has been years since I've used a Windows machine so I don't know if it is the same, however, QuackingPlums offered an excellent reply to you in regard to seeing your camera roll as if it was an extra drive via a Windows machine. I recommend that you follow his or her advice and give it a try if you have a Windows machine. Let us know how it goes for you.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-16-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    08-16-2012 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD