If you buy an iPhone directly from Apple do you have to go to an Apple Store or your provider to set the phone up? If you switch from Verizon to AT&T or vice versa what do you need to do?
    08-14-2012 09:11 PM
    If you buy an iPhone directly from Apple do you have to go to an Apple Store or your provider to set the phone up? If you switch from Verizon to AT&T or vice versa what do you need to do?
    It depends on how you buy it. I mean, are you buying it from Apple with a contract or outright without a contract? If with a contract, then when you order your device, you will be asked what carrier you will use as well as select a plan offered by that carrier. That process begins HERE

Per Apple's website: The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

In other words, if you buy it outright from Apple without a contract AND unlocked, you can only use it on AT&T's network and I am assuming you'd have to contact AT&T to have it activated.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-14-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    08-14-2012 09:56 PM
    ... if you buy it outright from Apple without a contract AND unlocked, you can only use it on AT&T's network and I am assuming you'd have to contact AT&T to have it activated.
    One can also purchase direct from Apple if they are a Verizon or Sprint customer. Apple can see to it that the CDMA esn of the device gets into the service provider's systems to allow activation. And I'm guessing the GSM will be unlocked for international use.
    08-14-2012 10:14 PM
    One can also purchase direct from Apple if they are a Verizon or Sprint customer. Apple can see to it that the CDMA esn of the device gets into the service provider's systems to allow activation. And I'm guessing the GSM will be unlocked for international use.
    Of course. Thank you, Keith..
    08-14-2012 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD