So this guy ask me to reassemble his iPhone 4S last night. He said he cracked his screen and he went on eBay and bought a new front LCD for it. He said he will pay me whatever he just really wanted it fixed. He brought me all of his stuff in a Tupperware bowl. System board, all parts, screws, everything was apart from where he took it apart and didn't know someone sold him an iPhone 4 screen. So I put it back together with a kit that I had here only one thing wrong. When it was back assembled everything worked fine except for THE LCD screen. You can see the picture very dark and faint but not bright like normal. Everything else works sounds, vibrates, incoming calls, Siri. This was the second screen I put on for him so I highly doubt it was the screen because both did the same thing. Any suggestions?
    08-12-2012 10:44 AM
    I do... maybe the next time, that guy should invest his money for two screens and your time to go to Apple instead with his device that is necessarily still under warranty... Sorry, not to put your skills to doubt, but obviously this goes beyond the screen itself... At least with Apple he'd be sure to get a 100% working device back.
    08-12-2012 11:00 AM
    I dont think Apple warranties cover accidental damage do they? I'm not worried about my skills or what anybody thinks about them, I have fixed many iPhones. I just never seen one doing this specific problem. He was definitely crazy for attempting to fix this on his own and for trusting a part off if eBay. He said Apple wanted to charge him $199.99 to repair the screen then said he hair to go to the bank and get something notarized and some more stuff. It sounded crazy but from what he said you couldn't just walk right in to Apple and pay to get it fixed. ( dont quote me though, I don't know how much of that is actually true about what Apple requires. )
    08-12-2012 11:51 AM
    I dont think Apple warranties cover accidental damage do they? I'm not worried about my skills or what anybody thinks about them, I have fixed many iPhones. I just never seen one doing this specific problem. He was definitely crazy for attempting to fix this on his own and for trusting a part off if eBay. He said Apple wanted to charge him $199.99 to repair the screen then said he hair to go to the bank and get something notarized and some more stuff. It sounded crazy but from what he said you couldn't just walk right in to Apple and pay to get it fixed. ( dont quote me though, I don't know how much of that is actually true about what Apple requires. )
    ... Just kidding

As I said, didn't want to put your skills to doubt, I myself wouldn't even try to open one. This story with Apple appears muddy to me, but I guess if he has no bill and the phone's not registered to his name,they might not be so receptive...
    08-12-2012 02:21 PM
    Apple Care + does...

Also, Apple does not typically repair phones for consumers...they replace them in store and send them away for refurbishing.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Brucecakes likes this.
    08-12-2012 02:49 PM
    That's good to know. I didn't know they covered accidental damage.
    08-12-2012 04:39 PM
    That's good to know. I didn't know they covered accidental damage.
    But only if Apple Care+ was purchased with the phone
    08-12-2012 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD