I keep reading that I should "completely" drain my battery once a month to make it have a longer lifespan. Assuming that isn't total BS, just what is "completely" drained? It won't let you go to zero, so is 5% good enough? 10%?
    08-04-2012 06:51 PM
    I keep reading that I should "completely" drain my battery once a month to make it have a longer lifespan. Assuming that isn't total BS, just what is "completely" drained? It won't let you go to zero, so is 5% good enough? 10%?
    Completely dead as in it dies. Yes that's what Apple recommends for best battery health.
    08-04-2012 07:24 PM
    I just got my iPhone a few weeks ago and had the same question. Apple's advice contradicts what battery manufacturers and vendors recommendation for frequent charging. Manufacturers say deep discharges shorten the life of li-on batteries. Additionally li-on batteries have no memory so they don't need a deep discharge unlike some lead acid batteries designed for deep discharge. I have always charged my phones and other devices frequently and have had no problems. Does anyone have a differing experience?
    Roo Zilla and jkeitz like this.
    08-13-2012 11:16 PM
    Well, if you want your battery to last as long as possible, and by that I mean lifespan, you're supposed to keep it below full charge as well as avoid deep discharges. Basically, you want to keep it around 40-70%. Also, you want to keep it cool as possible and finally, you want to charge it as slow as possible. I think my phone charges faster on my iPad wall charger than my iPhone wall charger, you're supposed to avoid that.
    jkeitz likes this.
    08-13-2012 11:29 PM
    I just got my iPhone a few weeks ago and had the same question. Apple's advice contradicts what battery manufacturers and vendors recommendation for frequent charging. Manufacturers say deep discharges shorten the life of li-on batteries. Additionally li-on batteries have no memory so they don't need a deep discharge unlike some lead acid batteries designed for deep discharge. I have always charged my phones and other devices frequently and have had no problems. Does anyone have a differing experience?
    That had always been my understanding, and I've always treated my smartphone batteries that way (never fully discharging them). I've always had Palm phones before, but this is my first Apple product. I was concerned about battery lifespan since you can't just change this one.
    08-13-2012 11:34 PM
    Apple recommends full discharge once a month. Not daily.
    08-13-2012 11:48 PM
    Read at the very bottom under "Use iPhone Regularly"

Apple - Batteries - iPhone
    08-13-2012 11:51 PM
    Apple recommends full discharge once a month. Not daily.
    Full discharges, no matter how infrequent can significantly shorten the life of a battery. For as long as li-on batteries have existed, the recommended practice has always been frequent charging. Maybe Apple has evidence to the contrary.
    08-14-2012 12:13 AM
    Full discharges, no matter how infrequent can significantly shorten the life of a battery. For as long as li-on batteries have existed, the recommended practice has always been frequent charging. Maybe Apple has evidence to the contrary.
    Maybe. They know what they are doing and I'm sure they wouldn't recommend that if it wasn't for the best of their own product. I posted the link to back my post earlier in this thread so people knew I wasn't making this up.
    08-14-2012 12:21 AM
    I've been using a app called Battery Doctor. it recommends letting the batt drain to below 20% percent but not completely drained then charge. Do this once a month. I've been doing this since June seems like it's cool. I've had all of the iPhones and never had a battery crap out yet.

I still have the first gen iPhone that I use as a iPod. It takes 4-5 days for the batt to die on standby and it's 5 years old.
    08-14-2012 02:54 AM
    There are at least three apps called Battery Doctor which pop up in my App store. Which one do you refer to?

I have an iPhone and I just bought my second iPod Touch - would be nice to conserve the battery on the Touch as long as possible - I'll change the iPhone with the next-gen anyways.
    08-14-2012 08:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD