Okay, so my wife's boss got sick of her Android phone and got an iPhone 4S. She also uses iPad's at work, although that is a big mess because she has mutliple apple ID's and can't remember what ID she used on what computer, to buy what app, etc.

Anyway, yesterday she was syncing her iPhone to her computer (she sync with Outlook contacts) and somehow, I have no idea how, her contacts got all screwed up. She does not use iCloud, she uses the iTunes sync. The contacts on her iPad are okay. Since she knows that the husband of her employee (me) knows a fair amount about Apple products, I get called in to help.

Looking at her contacts in Outlook and her iPhone, I have no idea what happened. Somehoe it looks like some information (email addresses or phone numbers) was not transfered with the sync, because a lot of the contacts are blank - name only, no other information.I am hesitant to try to sync her iPad to Outlook to replace the contacts, as I am concerned the screwed up contacts from Outlook will replace the good ones on the iPad. She does not use iCloud.

What I have in mind to "fix" it is as follows - can anyone let me know if this will work?

First, create an iCloud account for her on the iPad. This will then take the good iPad contacts, and send them up to the cloud.

Second, delete all contacts on the iPhone. Then, add the iCloud account to her iPhone. This will bring all the "good" contact to her iPhone.

Third, export the contacts from iCloud to a CVS file. Erase all the contacts on Outlook, then import the CVS file with all the "good" contacts.

Fourth, set up iCloud sync on Outlook, so it will be in sync with her iPhone and iPad. Any changes she makes to one device will change everything.

Will that work? God help me if I delete her good contacts as well!!

Chris
    08-01-2012 11:34 AM
    Looks like a plan.. I might combine 3 & 4... once the iCloud is set up - export the CSV file for a hard back-up... then clear the Outlook on the computer, set up the iCloud account, and let it sync to that... and use the back-up CSV file in the event something goes awry.
    08-01-2012 11:41 AM
    Your plan is exactly what I would do.

Just as a piece of advice to her, let her know that having Apple devices will be much less of a headache
    if she sticks to one single Apple I.D. This is one of the main reasons why I value the Apple ecosystem so
    much. I don't have to worry about where I bought an app, saved my contacts, notes, etc. It's all there under
    one I.D.
    08-01-2012 02:18 PM
    Good idea!
    08-01-2012 04:08 PM
    Your plan is exactly what I would do.

Just as a piece of advice to her, let her know that having Apple devices will be much less of a headache
    if she sticks to one single Apple I.D. This is one of the main reasons why I value the Apple ecosystem so
    much. I don't have to worry about where I bought an app, saved my contacts, notes, etc. It's all there under
    one I.D.
    I have told her that...to no avail.
    08-01-2012 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD